Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - The Bruins fall to second place - Kraken 4 BRUINS 1

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You have to give to get and for me its dealing one of Swayman or Ullmark. You deal from a position of strength and that's the Bruins strength. Yada Yada with their bro-connection, that's great and all, but I feel their both first class individuals who will carry on just fine without one another.
They the reason we have a team in the top of the Atlantic. No dice.

To me, absolutely. Said it before the playoffs started too. They were built for a long run. Absolutely hated the match up for the Bruins.
Should have wrapped it up in 2019 with the gift blues. What a bungle.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'll have faith when they prove they can put together consistent efforts. They haven't.
They have had some good stretches but also inconsistent times too ,

To me, absolutely. Said it before the playoffs started too. They were built for a long run. Absolutely hated the match up for the Bruins.
I never minded that matchup.Ullmark, Grizz blunder hurt.Marchand clear breakaway to win series.Boston was not over matched like alot think.They lost by 1 goal

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In my eyes that's a big part of the problem especially against good tight checking teams . The Bruins like to get in the offensive zone curl back and work thru the points. How many times do we see odd man rushes fizzle as the puck carrier circles back . Its almost as if the team is afraid that an odd man rush and missed shot on net will turn into an odd man rush the other way .

Against good checking teams you have to be able to score dirty goals.

In all those series against Tampa, it was them scoring dirty 5 on 5 goals with high slot redirections or pucks bouncing off asses that did the Bruins in. Tampa could score dirty goals and the Bruins were just boxed away from the net.

The Bruins forward group has gotten much better in both effort level and in personnel to get bodies in front. Maybe they aren't big and mean, but they do just have a lot more big bodies that can park their ass in front.

I really think their biggest issue* is that they don't have enough d-men that can get involved in the offense and then get shots through.

*although toughness should be prioritized as its an obvious hole that should be much cheaper to fix than getting a two way top 4 D or a #1C or whatever.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Against good checking teams you have to be able to score dirty goals.

In all those series against Tampa, it was them scoring dirty 5 on 5 goals with high slot redirections or pucks bouncing off asses that did the Bruins in. Tampa could score dirty goals and the Bruins were just boxed away from the net.

The Bruins forward group has gotten much better in both effort level and in personnel to get bodies in front. Maybe they aren't big and mean, but they do just have a lot more big bodies that can park their ass in front.

I really think their biggest issue* is that don't have enough d-men that can get involved in the offense and then shots through.

*although toughness should be prioritized as its an obvious hole that should be much cheaper to fix than getting a two way top 4 D or a #1C or whatever.
I like this post

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
No chance this team will be a serious cup contender. No cap space to do anything that will provide an impact, nothing great in the minors and no real serious takers for the players we are trying to make available. Nobody is going to knock down the doors for Forbort, Gryz, Frederick or even Debrusk. Everyone also knows the situation we are in with DS backing us right into the corner.
only way is trading a goalie along with some players you mentioned.

Reactions: Gordoff

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I agree and I also knew the Bruins were not built to go on a long run. Still a very soft team which Florida dominated with their physicality.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Will we be able to get fair value considering the situation we are in?
my take is, only 1 of them is coming back next year. and we arent a cup contender with both of tbem right now, with our forward and D group.
they would bring us back better players.
just have to figure out which goalie you think can handle the playoffs. both have never won a round.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Considering the Bruins were #1 against #8 I would consider the Panthers did a very good job and who won the series. When they got down they used their toughness to dominate physically and come out on top.
panthers were a great team. i felt when bennett got healthy and in the lineup they became a major problem for us.

Reactions: bob77 and Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really think their biggest issue* is that they don't have enough d-men that can get involved in the offense and then get shots through.

Opposing teams must salivate when they see Gryz and Carlo together manning the points in the offensive zone. They don't even have to waste their time or energy worrying about them.

What's maddening to me is Carlo CAN hammer a puck when he wants to. But they rarely set him up for a big blast or one-timer. Then conversely, they leave him hung out to dry trying to handle the puck at the top of the umbrella. Gryz was literally at the face-off dot when Carlo blew a tire last night, in no position to cover or support his D-partner.

I'm not in the anti-Gryz camp but that pair sucks and has always sucked and if they intend to use Lindholm more with McAvoy, Gryz has GOT to go.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Considering the Bruins were #1 against #8 I would consider the Panthers did a very good job and who won the series. When they got down they used their toughness to dominate physically and come out on top.

I think folks forget the Panthers were a presidents trophy team the year before and spent half a season adjusting to tkachuk in and huberdeau and weegar out. Not only were they far from a regular 8 seed (and they are proving it again with their play this year) but they were also a hard stylistic match up with their ultra aggressive forecheck.

I don't think it was the tough guy after the whistle stuff that cost the Bruins that series, it was more that Monty didn't adjust to the Panthers forecheck beating his breakout system, Monty being wrong when he "looked in Ullmark's eyes", their #1C and #2C and #1G playing hurt, etc, more than "toughness". I dunno, folks saying "look they lost and the Panthers were tougher so it proves that being tougher means winning" seem to have missed the correlation doesn't equal causation lesson in school. It doesn't mean it wasn't a factor, but just making the statement doesn't make it true anymore than be saying that the moon was in retrograde and that is why they lost.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
To me, the Bs are looking at an old fashion hockey deal to upgrade at Top 6. It probably involves a team that has excess F but no D. To be a good player in return your looking at moving Carlo or Lindholm. We have D. Bring back Lohrei. Bs probably have to retain some on Lindholm. Another option is to move Ullmark and just go with Swayman. You either go for it, or you don’t. I don’t think you trade prospects or picks.
Agree 100%, I know people are saying don't trade Ullmark until the off-season, but if you want to improve your scoring, then trading from a position of strength is how you do it. Maybe we sign Swayman to an extension first, then deal Ullmark, but I would only trade during this season for a top 6 forward. Some will say well goalies are not worth that much, but I argue they are, go look what the ask is for Saros.

Reactions: bob77 and Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Still a very soft team which Florida dominated with their physicality.

Agian, Florida did not dominate the Bruins. They barely got by and were very fortunate to do so.

Reactions: bbfan419 and caz16

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Agian, Florida did not dominate the Bruins. They barely got by and were very fortunate to do so.
Dominated in the physicality department which set the tone for the series. Their are different forms off domination as shown by the Panthers. You have to be prepared to go to war in the playoffs and the Bruins are never well equipped for this type of action.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Dominated in the physicality department which set the tone for the series. Their are different forms off domination as shown by the Panthers. You have to be prepared to go to war in the playoffs and the Bruins are never well equipped for this type of action.
Marchand scores we are not hearing 1 peep about Florida outside Bruins had to win they were an 8 seed .Damned if you do & damned if you don't.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
still can`t get over the complete absence of even one player with some nasty in them, especially when this team has a Prez who played that way

Totally understand those guys simply don`t grow on trees these days as I don`t think it`s something that can be taught but man o man, I can`t see this team winning one game let alone a series vs any team who plays heavy like the Panthers as an example

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Ankle injury last March I believe, why the f*** they didn’t sit him up until the playoffs is beyond me.
Regardless of what they say, they WANTED the record as soon as they saw it was possible. They thought they could get the record AND then win in the playoffs as well and go down as the greatest team in the history of hockey.

Reactions: BMC

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Can’t say I hate them not being in first. It can be a burden. Unless they clearly are one of the favorites I would Rather be under the radar just a tad.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Marchand scores we are not hearing 1 peep about Florida outside Bruins had to win they were an 8 seed .Damned if you do & damned if you don't.
But he did not, close counts in horseshoes but not in hockey. You can say the same against the Blues in game 7, Marchand scores on the breakaway and the whole complexion of the game may have changed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't not try, it's a double negative. :P

They had effort and could have won the game, but it slipped away. They could have used a bit more luck. Even in a loss, they looked a lot better than they did against the Flames and Capitals.

I do think the Bruins could use more scoring and a physical presence in the bottom 6 and on D.
The old doubly negative, eh

I apologize

I read so much stupid shit here I thought it was only a single negative

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad