Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - The Bruins fall to second place - Kraken 4 BRUINS 1

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
need another finisher. Pasta and Marchand are pretty much the only threats to consistently score. Team is reverting to the mean in my opinion, the hot start was an outlier. Hopefully enough to carry them to home ice in the first round.
THIS ^

We have known all season that the Bs needed to add a center. All things considered they played VERY well the first half...better than most here thought they would.

They need to make a trade for a C and an enforcer (IMO). Trade the ones who are not consistent. All players have games where they aren't contributing but when its 10-20 games of nothing....bye.

I hope they can bring in a player or two to help as the Bs aren't as bad as they have looked of late.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Since the All-Star break Debrusk and Frederic are a combined 0-0-0 in 10 man games.

Depending on who you ask, those two are Boston's 3rd and 4th best wingers. I guess the other candidate would be JVR but at least with him you can say he's a older player on the back-9 of his career.

Debrusk and Frederic are in their primes age-wise yet are maddeningly inconsistent in their effort and effectiveness game-to-game.

I don't know how you expect to win in the NHL when your 3rd and 4th best wingers are posting zeroes and your 4th line are basically fringe-level AAAA players who rarely accomplish anything.
Great post

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
We do need to add some physicality yes, but this team needs goal scoring as well, need to make some hockey deals and I would have no problem trading Grizz, Forbort, Ullmark, Carlo, Lindholm, DeBrusk, Frederic or Zacha. Any of these guys could go in a deal and if we get the right return I am fine with it.
To me, the Bs are looking at an old fashion hockey deal to upgrade at Top 6. It probably involves a team that has excess F but no D. To be a good player in return your looking at moving Carlo or Lindholm. We have D. Bring back Lohrei. Bs probably have to retain some on Lindholm. Another option is to move Ullmark and just go with Swayman. You either go for it, or you don’t. I don’t think you trade prospects or picks.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the point was after the all star break

Absolutely this. I don’t have many expectations of this team for the playoffs and it’s been stress free. I think they can run in the playoffs with some great goaltending and timely scoring but I also wouldn’t be shocked with another first round exit. Still hopefully we see the best of them when it truly matters

I thought the point was that this team can't score.

My point was that they can.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
To me, the Bs are looking at an old fashion hockey deal to upgrade at Top 6. It probably involves a team that has excess F but no D. To be a good player in return your looking at moving Carlo or Lindholm. We have D. Bring back Lohrei. Bs probably have to retain some on Lindholm. Another option is to move Ullmark and just go with Swayman. You either go for it, or you don’t. I don’t think you trade prospects or picks.
They’re not moving Lindholm or Carlo lol

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Leafs would bully this team out of the building.
Same was said at the beginning of the season.
We all know PO is a different animal.
Habs won the SC with Dipietro playing some important minutes,....
Hot goaltending can make you go some distance, luck and health another distance.... and then who knows.

MillerTime29Bombs

Feb 12, 2023
Woburn
It was always gonna be a bridge year. CAP had GM shopping at dollar store ( and he did ok). Hot start was due to hot goalies and a lot of players playing above their pay grade. Even with Looch this team is void of physicality. They need more than one. Trading draft choices for years has left their cupboard pretty bare. There record is is far better then it should be but if they can play at least 500 for the remainder of year they should get a first round game 7. Team needs to much to get beyond that. They are and continue to be built for regular season only. That is on the GM and Prez.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bottom line for me is that it is much more fun when the Bs are winning.

They need to get their confidence and swagger back.

I would bet Don S. is trying to work out a deal.

We will see.

They better win tomorrow.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Monty has his hands full motivating this lunch bucket team to get the most out of them on a regular basis. They had chances to score put couldn't finish last night. I wish the Bruins would do a better job of not giving away the first and 2nd round draft picks. I hate looking at mock drafts and not seeing the Bruins listed anywhere to be seen when the top prosects are on these lists. Sweeny does a good job of picking up players to compete but most hockey prognosticators usually say you build a team through the draft. Just throwing that out there because it bugs me when the draft is on and I see players the Bruins could have taken go off the board. I mostly watch OHL players and see some skilled kids this season that will be drafted.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bottom line for me is that it is much more fun when the Bs are winning.

They need to get their confidence and swagger back.

I would bet Don S. is trying to work out a deal.

We will see.

They better win tomorrow.
You have to give to get and for me its dealing one of Swayman or Ullmark. You deal from a position of strength and that's the Bruins strength. Yada Yada with their bro-connection, that's great and all, but I feel their both first class individuals who will carry on just fine without one another.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You have to give to get and for me its dealing one of Swayman or Ullmark. You deal from a position of strength and that's the Bruins strength. Yada Yada with their bro-connection, that's great and all, but I feel their both first class individuals who will carry one just fine without one another.
They don't ask me my opinion, but I am not ready to trade either net minder.

I know the time will come but IMO it isn't now

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012

Agree...the time is coming but not yet

objectively the Bs are not a serious Cup contender this year and trading either Goalie isn't going to change that. The off season and free agency is when they can use cap space to reload

we knew this year would be a bridge year ...let's not let what they have achieved ( and it has been significant) influence that opinion. Difficult as it may feel this is isn't the year to push major chips into the center of the table ( thar was done spectacularly well last year to no impact).

maybe a couple minor deals but nothing major

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Since the All-Star break Debrusk and Frederic are a combined 0-0-0 in 10 man games.

Depending on who you ask, those two are Boston's 3rd and 4th best wingers. I guess the other candidate would be JVR but at least with him you can say he's a older player on the back-9 of his career.

Debrusk and Frederic are in their primes age-wise yet are maddeningly inconsistent in their effort and effectiveness game-to-game.

I don't know how you expect to win in the NHL when your 3rd and 4th best wingers are posting zeroes and your 4th line are basically fringe-level AAAA players who rarely accomplish anything.
They definitely are two frustrating players that’s for sure ,Debrusk does seem to be engaged he’s hustling,but just isn’t producing again,just seems to be his way,Freddy basically disappears and is why he ends up being a healthy scratch in the playoffs.Maybe it’s time the both or one finds another home.

They played a decent game just couldn’t capitalize on their chances.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Kind of on the fence with the goalies,I think one will definitely be gone bye next season,would prefer they wait,but if the offer was good enough,I think you have to make the trade.

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Few things, they played well, just couldn't cash in, and I kinda like this team, they are limited but they do what they can. Not worried about the standings, as I expect for them to have to go thru two of Florida, Tampa and Toronto. Again, I pretty much stand pat with what they have and hope to catch lightning in a bottle in May.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
the bruins have been destined for years to meet toronto again in the first round and lose. Perhaps this is the year

Knowing Toronto though theyll find a way to lose and the bruins will find a way to lose to the next team
If Toronto even makes it. They still sit in a wild card spot and NJ, NYI are going have strong games down the stretch. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Leafs miss it by a few points. If Matthews gets hurt or they cannot shore up their goaltending and D…..they are in trouble. They aren’t a Cup threat and I am surprised how they have taken a step back from LY

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Great post
You see alot that we don't and I get the feeling you arent the biggest fan of #74 and #11 over the past couple seasons, is it the on ice stuff or do you pick up little things we aren't privy to? Feel free to ignore or no comment as well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ve seen enough of Richard, not that he`s the problem, rather see Lauko in there or call up that Farinacci kid or Lysell , this team needs a bit of a wake up.

Reading about Carlo joking about his gaffe

How about a guy talking about how pissed he is this happened. I know this is just a game and a long season but to me, outside of Marchand, wondering out loud if anyone on this team hates losing?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
11-9 last 20 games ,I think this is what most expected this year I think earlier in the season every game our goalies were better than the other teams.That hasn’t been the case lately,now I’m not saying that is the reason there losing,more that that was the reason they were winning earlier.

Reactions: Gordoff and KWbruin

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You see alot that we don't and I get the feeling you arent the biggest fan of #74 and #11 over the past couple seasons, is it the on ice stuff or do you pick up little things we aren't privy to? Feel free to ignore or no comment as well.
Actually, I like both OK. I see what most do. I think both players are likeable enough.

I thought (the first half of the season) that Freddy was the most improved player.

I like Jake but he disappears for too many games. He needs a new contract and depending on how much $$ he wants it may be time to get something for him rather than to sign him to a long expensive deal.

Most players go through dry spells. If these last 10 to 20 games, there is a problem IMO.

We do see and hear things from where we sit. I share some things and some I don't.

I trust management knows far better than any of us what needs to be done.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I've been saying for 5 years to trade Carlo and after last night's tumble to cause a goal, now's the time! If Sweeney trades either goalie he should be fired, they are the only players that show up every night, and the sole reason this team is not fighting with the Sharks for top draft pick!

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
What are you basing it off of ? Bruins beat them couple times already this season so it's not like some new trend has been set.

Last year's Bruins with Hathaway, Orlov, Bertuzzi, Nosek, yes.
This year we have I would say the same amount of wussiness as them. To beat the leafs the Panthers hit the crap out of them and forechecked like crazy which made their 46 million dollar core-4 disappear.

We on the other hand do not hit and we certainly do not forecheck. Generally we surrender 2/3rds of the ice when the other team has the puck.

It'd be close.Too close.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They definitely are two frustrating players that’s for sure ,Debrusk does seem to be engaged he’s hustling,but just isn’t producing again,just seems to be his way,Freddy basically disappears and is why he ends up being a healthy scratch in the playoffs.Maybe it’s time the both or one finds another home.

They played a decent game just couldn’t capitalize on their chances.

Still 7 years here, Jake Debrusk is going to play the way Jake Debrusk plays. I don't think he has he vision or hockey sense to adjust to who his line-mates are. He plays his own game and always has since entering the league. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Then factor in his effort can be inconsistent and this is what you get. Even when he's engaged and moving his feet, he's still playing the same Jake Debrusk way so depending on who his line-mates are, that may or may not work that given night.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It was a long work day for this guy...I watched a period & 1/2. For the most part I would have given the edge to the bruins. The first half of the first period was all bruins.

Thoughts on Richard? I saw some nice wheels and almost had his 2nd goal (so close...he drove the net hard). I would like to see him have an opportunity top 2 lines...why not? Nothing to lose.

I finally reached the point whereby sending Steen Lauko and Boquist to Providence is a needed. No longer worried about them being claimed off waivers. Doubt they would be claimed.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I`ve seen enough of Richard, not that he`s the problem, rather see Lauko in there or call up that Farinacci kid or Lysell , this team needs a bit of a wake up.

Reading about Carlo joking about his gaffe

How about a guy talking about how pissed he is this happened. I know this is just a game and a long season but to me, outside of Marchand, wondering out loud if anyone on this team hates losing?
2 games for Richard is not enough...Lauko Steen Boquist are the targets to move back to Providence.

Still 7 years here, Jake Debrusk is going to play the way Jake Debrusk plays. I don't think he has he vision or hockey sense to adjust to who his line-mates are. He plays his own game and always has since entering the league. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Then factor in his effort can be inconsistent and this is what you get. Even when he's engaged and moving his feet, he's still playing the same Jake Debrusk way so depending on who his line-mates are, that may or may not work that given night.
Good take...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad