Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Another weird stat for the night...

Silovs (amazing performance) 10GP 2.91 GAA
Skinner (worst goalie in the playoffs) 10GP 2.87 GAA

Silovs had almost 50 more shots against though. Skinner wasn't as bad as he was made out to be, but he needs to be better to beat a more potent offense in Dallas.

Reactions: Duder54

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
It took the 2 biggest Canuck MVPs to be out for the Oilers to beat the Canucks in 7 in a one goal game. Safe to say if the actual Canucks roster showed up, theyd win easy
sorry i dont play what ifs in a make believe world. i go with facts. and the facts are your team lost. and are golfing. with zero rings still. how’s that fact?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It took the 2 biggest Canuck MVPs to be out for the Oilers to beat the Canucks in 7 in a one goal game. Safe to say if the actual Canucks roster showed up, theyd win easy
The actual Nucks did show up. This is who Hughes and Pettersson actually are.

Every year in the playoffs the Leafs find out too what their stars really are.

McDavid held pointless for the 3rd time this series. 9 points in 7 games overall.

I think any team coming into a series against EDM would take that. PP really let us down.
Yeh ultimately it was the Oilers superior depth that won this series. This series was not a McDavid storyline.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
sorry i dont play what ifs in a make believe world. i go with facts. and the facts are your team lost. and are golfing. with zero rings still. how’s that fact?
So it's a fact that the entire team is going to actually go golfing now? I mean we don't want to live in a make believe what if kind of world, right?

You made your point. Being a jerk about it displays a lack of character.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Peterson chequing out was a surprise to no one, but Hughes not really having an impact was a bit of a surprise.
I could see it. He was really affected by physicality in the Preds series. Was always a worry for him. Not to mention the lack of experience. It takes time and experience to figure out how to produce in the playoffs for pretty much every player but Draisaitl.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The actual Nucks did show up. This is who Hughes and Pettersson actually are.

Every year in the playoffs the Leafs find out too what their stars really are.

Yeh ultimately it was the Oilers superior depth that won this series. This series was not a McDavid storyline.

Oilers deserved to win this series, they came through in games 6/7, but ultimately they didn't face us at our best & the series came down to 1 goal.

Hoping we get a rematch next year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers deserved to win this series, they came through in games 6/7, but ultimately they didn't face us at our best & the series came down to 1 goal.

Only guy you were missing was Demko. And who knows how he looks recovering from multiple injuries. Silovs played great, he’s not a 3rd stringer either if you guys actively chose him over a healthy DeSmith

Reactions: ManByng

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Be careful what you wish for because I remember LA fans saying the exact same thing a couple of years ago when they took the Oilers 7 games with an injured roster.

The more time the Oilers higher end talent has to play against the same opponent the more they start to pick up on ways to exploit an opponent, I think that becomes a big problem. I don't think McDavid is healthy this season either at all.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Only guy you were missing was Demko. And who knows how he looks recovering from multiple injuries. Silovs played great, he’s not a 3rd stringer either if you guys actively chose him over a healthy DeSmith

Boeser has lit up the Oilers like a Xmas tree all year. Oilers very fortunate he wasn't available for G7 considering it was a 1 goal game.

And a healthy Demko coming in probably steals a game, Silovs was great but in a few of the losses (game 6 included) he let in a few sus goals.

Be careful what you wish for because I remember LA fans saying the exact same thing a couple of years ago when they took the Oilers 7 games with an injured roster.

The more time the Oilers higher end talent has to play against the same opponent the more they start to pick up on ways to exploit an opponent, I think that becomes a big problem. I don't think McDavid is healthy this season either at all.

Canucks got better against the Oilers PP (greatest in NHL history) as the series went along.

I don't think Hughes was healthy, and we know Demko/Boeser weren't. Not saying the Oilers can't win a rematch they are a good team, but I am saying we got to 1 goal difference in game 7 without them after playing the Oilers well all season. Definitely think we're capable of revenge.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Boeser has lit up the Oilers like a Xmas tree all year. Oilers very fortunate he wasn't available for G7 considering it was a 1 goal game.

And a healthy Demko coming in probably steals a game, Silovs was great but in a few of the losses (game 6 included) he let in a few sus goals.
Yeh he’s alright. But most of his goals this series were off egregious Oilers D breakdowns giving Boeser time and space to pick his spot from in close. Not much breakdowns in Games 6/7 for Boeser to feast on anyways.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I don't think Hughes was healthy, and we know Demko/Boeser weren't. Not saying the Oilers can't win a rematch they are a good team, but I am saying we got to 1 goal difference in game 7 without them after playing the Oilers well all season. Definitely think we're capable of revenge.

Every team has injuries at this point in the season. It's convenient to ignore that in order to try and prove a point, I suppose but at some point it just becomes an excuse.

McDavid is injured. Draisaitl is injured. Ekholm is injured. Three of the Oilers' top 4 players right there.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Fun fact of the night: the Edmonton Oilers have as many series wins this year as the Toronto Maple Leafs have in the past 20 seasons combined. :sarcasm:
The Oilers have more now, don't they? 2 for the Oilers, 1 for the Leafs?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Every team has injuries. It's convenient to ignore that in order to try and prove a point, I suppose.

McDavid is injured. Draisaitl is injured. Ekholm is injured. Three of the Oilers' top 4 players right there.

Pettersson / Hughes playing injured. Demko / Boeser not even able to play, 4 of Canucks top 5. Two not playing in game 7. I guess we can do this endlessly as you say.

This is just the start for Vancouver, looking forward to the coming years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That was terrifying. I turned on a stream while bussing between cities only to see Vancouver make it 3-2 and lost connection. By the time I reconnected the game was over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad