GDT: Game 53: Avs vs Hawks | 7 PM MT | February 2, 2016 | Never Mind About the Party

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wagner

As I said earlier I like his hustle. I can see he and his line have been a nightmare in the D zone. They should go back to the McLeod-Wagner-skille combo. It's not working with Mitchell anymore anyhow.

I really like that idea, it's his ideal playground given the way he plays. Question is, what do we do with Mitchell? A spot on the spare parts line is where I'd put him, but Roy seems to like him, so I'm not entirely sure we wouldn't see him on MacKinnon's wing in that scenario, as dumb as that sounds.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I really like that idea, it's his ideal playground given the way he plays. Question is, what do we do with Mitchell? A spot on the spare parts line is where I'd put him, but Roy seems to like him, so I'm not entirely sure we wouldn't see him on MacKinnon's wing in that scenario, as dumb as that sounds.

Mitchell will probably stay the 3C and he can play with whoever is/isn't in Roy's doghouse. Some combo of Grigo, Martinsen, tangs, Iggy. Tbh if Rantanen comes up this is where he's going to start anyway. I also think Grigo should stay on the third line at least, he's not a 4th liner.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah.. NO.. hell no.. It has not just been tonight. It's been the last thee or four games IMO. He didn't have an off night.

Mitchell and Comeau both have been bad for the last weeks worth of games IMO.

He's not a problem but he's not a top six player either. He should be on the third line and nowhere near the PP. That's what he brought here for too. Unfortunately, both Iginla and Tanguay's games fell off a cliff and now here we are.

Comeau doesn't have enough offense to be a second liner. He's perfectly fine for the third line. You could make the case that Soderberg is better suited to be a third line center as well but at least he's generating enough offense to be on the second line. Comeau-Soderberg would make a great third line pairing but if Soderberg needs to be a 2nd line center because of a lack of depth he needs wingers who can score. Whatever the reason Landeskog right now isn't enough.

None of this is to excuse Mack or Dutchy when they aren't playing well, but the Avs are in a position where if they have an off night, the offense falls into a ditch. The situation doesn't need to be that precarious.

Of course I agree he isn't a top-6 forward but he's looked like a nice fit alongside Soderberg all season. But he belongs on the 3rd line no doubt.

McLeod-Mitchell-Skille needs to go back to being the 4th line. I'm sick of seeing Roy throw them out there when the other team's top line is out there. That isn't what they're capable of. They looked so bad tonight, especially Mitchell who over the last month has looked as bad as he's ever looked since signing here.

Random stat of the night I dug up: Nick Holden has more even strength points (17) than Tyson Barrie does (16). In fact, he leads all our defensemen in even strength scoring.

kfjjagr

Betting on NHL and AHL hockey!
Sep 24, 2011
Denmark
twitter.com
I think it's because of the new layout on nhl.com. Will probably be fixed.

It is so unprofessional by the NHL not to contact Viasat(who has the rights to broadcasting NHL) about the change to NHL.tv. So Viasat had time to implement this new feature into their Viaplay-package. Or at least the NHL could have waited to shut down GameCenter Live until NHL.tv was working through Viaplay.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Got to disagree with Roy's post game comments about MacK and Duchene needing to bring Iginla up. The fact is you're trying to force a 39 year old who has clearly lost all ability to play top 6 minutes, to play on the top freaking line. I saw at least 5 times tonight where Iginla cost the line any kind of flow by either not receiving a pass well and turning it over, not being ready for a pass, or trying force something that wasn't there.

Roy is just missing the point, or just to stubborn to admit that the real problem is that we need a real top 6 winger that can play those minutes effectively. We keep trying to force one of two 36+ year olds who can't play the game it highest level anymore onto the most important line on the team. How many times can you try to force a square peg into a round hole? Do you see players like Seguin or Crosby or Malkin etc. being forced to play with old men who can't play at this level anymore? No, of course not those teams are smart enough to realize they need to put their best quality wingers with out there with their top line center.

If they are not going to call up Rantanen and give him a shot, then they need to say **** it and just put Landeskog-MacK-Duchene back together, play them all about 23-25 minutes a game and try to ride them to the playoffs. They can figure out the rest of the lines from there. At least then I know our two best forwards aren't going to be brought down by a guy way past their prime.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I just dont see how we are going to make the playoffs without Rantanen. Our wing depth is god awful without him. I think Rantanen would be upgrade for our team right now. Roy needs to either trade us one wing or call up Rantanen. He has to do something this trade deadline or call up Rantanen. That's how I see it.

Point is: We need more depth on wings. Rantanen might help a bit, but proven top-6 player would be really great...

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Nah.. NO.. hell no.. It has not just been tonight. It's been the last thee or four games IMO. He didn't have an off night.

Mitchell and Comeau both have been bad for the last weeks worth of games IMO.

3-4 games isn't a big deal. 3-4 weeks isn't a big deal. That happens to 95% of the players in the league.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This isn't Comeau or Mitchell's fault if this team is getting constantly outplayed game after game. You know it's bad when the losing goalie is getting the first star.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Switching around all the 4th liners won't solve any problems.

We need more skills on the top 6 and calling up Rantanen and hoping he produces at the NHL level is our best bet right now.

You can replace Mitchell with Wagner or Grigorenko, replace Tanguay with Martinsen or call up Everberg and it wont change anything.

We need more SKILLS on the top 6, but we need MacKinnon to get his head out of his ass more than anything.

And the team's neutral zone play was laughable against Chicago.

And EJ needs to find his form because he is not looking like a #1D.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Pickard reminds me of Ken Wregget. He always seems to get beat early but manages to settle things down and play well.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Can't break up the Landy-Yeti pairing yet IMO. They have been consistently good on both ends of the ice and I think that is the ideal spot to slot Rants when/if he gets the call.

Not sure who needs to play with MacK-Dutch, especially if Roy is determined to keep Grigs at Center. I think MacK just needs a 2-3 game stretch where he lights the world on fire to finally shake off this funk he's in.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Can't break up the Landy-Yeti pairing yet IMO. They have been consistently good on both ends of the ice and I think that is the ideal spot to slot Rants when/if he gets the call.

Not sure who needs to play with MacK-Dutch, especially if Roy is determined to keep Grigs at Center. I think MacK just needs a 2-3 game stretch where he lights the world on fire to finally shake off this funk he's in.

Drouin? :sarcasm:

:popcorn:

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
With the parts Roy has he should go back to the Landy-Mac-Dutch line. They are a real NHL #1 line and should play 21-23 minutes a night, like they were. Roy also has a good NHL 4th line in Skille-Wagner-McLeod. This line has also worked and should be used 10-12 minutes a night to play with pace and play physical to create energy. Using those two wings as a 3rd line with Mitch is not working.

Soda is the 2nd line center and Mitch or Grigs can be the 3rd line center. The rest of the guys are 3rd or 4th line wings, that's the problem.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Hossa beat Holden like a rented mule that game

Holden nearly every game - :deadhorse

It's a bit concerning when the opposing team gets a mismatch with a top/skilled offensive player/line against him, especially one with pace, but I will say he has done a decent job against lower lines this season and has been serviceable in those scenarios.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We need more SKILLS on the top 6

This isn't a skill issue it's a system issue. If it were a skill issue, it would mean that we're rock bottom in the league skill-wise since we are rock bottom in the league possession-wise.

I'm way past the point of getting happy of winning while getting outplayed, we know it's unsustainable and does nothing good long term to this org. Quite the opposite actually, it hurts us big time.

This young team hasn't progressed one bit in 2+ years. Our young players don't get noticeably better and our old players are fading. We need a new system. Fast.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
3-4 games isn't a big deal. 3-4 weeks isn't a big deal. That happens to 95% of the players in the league.

Yeah that's true, these guys are getting a little more exposed right now with the lack of scoring from the top guys. I'm sure we'd all be complaining about our bottom six a little less if the top six was scoring more.

Hated Roy's comment about MacK & Duchene needing to 'bring up' or carry Iginla and Tanguay. These guys are some of the top paid forwards on the team.

While I'm kind of frustrated with MacK & Duchene not scoring more, it's really got to be difficult to be rotating through wingers like they are. It's not like they've all played the same style of game either.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This isn't a skill issue it's a system issue. If it were a skill issue, it would mean that we're rock bottom in the league skill-wise since we are rock bottom in the league possession-wise.

I'm way past the point of getting happy of winning while getting outplayed, we know it's unsustainable and does nothing good long term to this org. Quite the opposite actually, it hurts us big time.

This young team hasn't progressed one bit in 2+ years. Our young players don't get noticeably better and our old players are fading. We need a new system. Fast.

The thing is, they've played some good possession games against teams like Chicago, STL, and LA before. We've seen them do it on many occasions.

Not saying I totally disagree, but our system did not lose us the game last night.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The thing is, they've played some good possession games against teams like Chicago, STL, and LA before. We've seen them do it on many occasions.

Not saying I totally disagree, but our system did not lose us the game last night.

They had no business winning the last game in LA, no business winning games in Chicago when Varly was standing on his head. No business winning in Dallas either (those were the most embarassing numbers I can even remember). 2-1 yesterday reflects in no way the game. They should have lost 6-1.

The system is flawed. The ways we rely on to win games are doomed from the start. It's like relying on lottery tickets to pay the rent.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They had no business winning the last game in LA, no business winning games in Chicago when Varly was standing on his head. No business winning in Dallas either (those were the most embarassing numbers I can even remember). 2-1 yesterday reflects in no way the game. They should have lost 6-1.

The system is flawed. The ways we rely on to win games are doomed from the start. It's like relying on lottery tickets to pay the rent.

Not talking about those games, the other game against LA, and there was another one against Chicago that we played very well in regards to possession.

Then we have this stretch with the two 20 year old defenders where Colorado out shot STL 41-34, BUF 35-28, WPG 37-34, CBJ (L) 30-21, NJ 27-25 in the five games both Zadorov & Bigras played. So there is help coming on the blue line that will improve this team when it comes to possession and shot suppression.

Redmond, Iginla, and Tanguay on the roster regularly are what's killing us because of the level of roles those two forwards play.

I'm just saying we've seen examples of the system working when our lineup is clicking and executing. When we had the 'spark' we executed much better than we did last night and other games.

EJ's also not helping since hes returned. At this point we might be better off pairing him with Bigras for a few less minutes until he gets his legs back under him IMO.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Do people forget that Iginla and Tanguay are 38 and 36 years old? I don't care how much money they make, they can't control the fact that at one point their bodies simply wont respond the same way.

I don't think it is a matter of hustling more, like some people here believe. To me, it is simply a matter of age catching up with them.

Too bad will have to deal with Iginla for another year, most likely.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Do people forget that Iginla and Tanguay are 38 and 36 years old? I don't care how much money they make, they can't control the fact that at one point their bodies simply wont respond the same way.

I don't think it is a matter of hustling more, like some people here believe. To me, it is simply a matter of age catching up with them.

Too bad will have to deal with Iginla for another year, most likely.

Not sure it's pure hustle, but there is definitely a lot of times where both of them just don't keep skating like they should. You absolutely do see flashes of Iginla going full speed out there. Hes still capable of it more than hes giving us right now IMO. Hes also had far less minutes lately so it shouldn't be fatigue at this point.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Would like to see

Grigs - Mack - Duchene
Landy soda Comeau
Tanguay Mitchell iginla
Skille Wagner McLeod

Not that I think grigs is the answer to the top 6 winger woes but he is the best option of what we have. Comeau had a rough game today but has played well enough in that spot. Put iginla and Tanguay together and limit their minutes. Mitchell, while he's been struggling, is still usually a pretty good possession player. The fourth line speaks for itself.

I would also rotate Tanguay martinsen and iginla based on how tired and old Tanguay and iginla look.

If rantanen Comes up put him in comeau's spot. Send down martinsen and give Tanguay/iginla the Danny briere treatment.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It was a bad loss after a long break... that never happens with this team. :sarcasm:

Rantanen will get a shot before the deadline. Iggy isn't going to last up with Duchene and MacK. The effort isn't there for as many minutes as those two have to play. Roy will probably give it another game or two, but after that I think we see Rantanen. Roy has tried pretty much anybody else up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad