GDT: Game 53: Avs vs Hawks | 7 PM MT | February 2, 2016 | Never Mind About the Party

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It was a bad loss after a long break... that never happens with this team. :sarcasm:

Rantanen will get a shot before the deadline. Iggy isn't going to last up with Duchene and MacK. The effort isn't there for as many minutes as those two have to play. Roy will probably give it another game or two, but after that I think we see Rantanen. Roy has tried pretty much anybody else up there.

This is true, and I think the amount of rotating is starting to effect Mack & Duchene a bit IMO.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Whenever it happens Rantanen is not going to be a savior either. He's a great player but he's probably going to play pretty conservative for a while and that's even if he gets to play with MacK and Duchene.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Do people forget that Iginla and Tanguay are 38 and 36 years old? I don't care how much money they make, they can't control the fact that at one point their bodies simply wont respond the same way.

I don't think it is a matter of hustling more, like some people here believe. To me, it is simply a matter of age catching up with them.

Too bad will have to deal with Iginla for another year, most likely.

Iginla had 5 days off since their last game (Tanguay even more since he didn't play against LA)

he [Iginla] was completely un-involved all night refusing to forecheck or backcheck while hanging out at the blue line most of the time the puck was in their own zone (many times the camera wasn't even far enough out to find him so far back doing nothing)

age was not an excuse last night .... stop making excuses
these guys are not the right fit for this team

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This team doesn't need him to be a savior, they just need him to be able to play 16-18 minutes and not hurt the team while doing it. MacK, Duchene, Soda, and Landy are going to have to carry the burden up front and they are plenty capable of doing that.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
This team doesn't need him to be a savior, they just need him to be able to play 16-18 minutes and not hurt the team while doing it. MacK, Duchene, Soda, and Landy are going to have to carry the burden up front and they are plenty capable of doing that.

Wonder if Roy tells them not to backcheck or skate hard out there. Or if they just do it and Roy doesn't say anything. Baffling to me that Iginla would be just willingly sucky in the non-shooting side of the game and Tanguay could be so sloppy without the passing side of the game...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wonder if Roy tells them not to backcheck or skate hard out there. Or if they just do it and Roy doesn't say anything. Baffling to me that Iginla would be just willingly sucky in the non-shooting side of the game and Tanguay could be so sloppy without the passing side of the game...

Yeah... I'm sure it is all on Roy's instructions. :nod:

Iggy and Tangs just can't play at a high tempo for any length of time anymore. They try to conserve what energy they do have, and Roy obviously sees it. Look at his comments about Iggy being on that line the other day. Right now, there just isn't a wealth of options... Grigo who Roy has tried and hasn't liked, Rantanen who is a question mark and really inexperienced, Marty who sucks, or Mitchy who is needed at center.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I know everyone gushes over the Hawks but wow that was just a good defensive effort by them and just reminds me how good Keith is.
Like he must have broken up a million plays just with his stick alone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Whenever it happens Rantanen is not going to be a savior either. He's a great player but he's probably going to play pretty conservative for a while and that's even if he gets to play with MacK and Duchene.

No, but neither were Bigras and Zadorov. I think the youth sometimes gives this team a hell of a boost for whatever reason.

As others have said, he just needs to play a simple responsible game to give more than we're getting now. Hell back check at least, and won't be buzzing the blue line waiting to fly the zone early lol.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Iginla had 5 days off since their last game (Tanguay even more since he didn't play against LA)

he [Iginla] was completely un-involved all night refusing to forecheck or backcheck while hanging out at the blue line most of the time the puck was in their own zone (many times the camera wasn't even far enough out to find him so far back doing nothing)

age was not an excuse last night .... stop making excuses
these guys are not the right fit for this team

:laugh:

How many days off they had doesn't matter, they are getting older the same way.

If time off was the answer, an entire off-season would be enough for them to play until they are 60.

Fatigue is not the only problem that age brings to a pro athlete, or any other human.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

He was like that last year. Oh, and the year before in Boston... and before that in Pittsburgh as well. In fact, he stopped making an effort during his last year in Calgary and that's part of the reason why some fans thought he was becoming a poison in the locker room. He clearly comes across as someone who just goes to work and collects his paycheck. He doesn't even care about winning anymore (hence his NMC).

There's a clear difference between him and Bourque, who wanted to win a cup before retiring and never stopped giving a **** about winning.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He was like that last year. Oh, and the year before in Boston... and before that in Pittsburgh as well. In fact, he stopped making an effort during his last year in Calgary and that's part of the reason why some fans thought he was becoming a poison in the locker room. He clearly comes across as someone who just goes to work and collects his paycheck. He doesn't even care about winning anymore (hence his NMC).

Cancer in the locker room? He does care?

Got any proof to this slanderous BS? And no, some random poster saying he was a cancer is not proof. And no, a NMC has nothing to do with it either, which is used a lot of times to keep yourself from going to a **** team. He even specifically said he liked the direction this young team was going and that's why he signed here.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't think he was a cancer but from living in Calgary at the time, I think a lot of the perception was that his stature and influence in the team and the desire to compete while Iggy was still there kind of prevented the team from moving on and truly embracing the rebuild, probably a couple years longer than they should have. Doesn't reflect badly on him on a player, I think it was just time for both parties to move on.

He was poor in Pittsburgh, but good for expectations in Boston, and pretty good for us last year. We definitely gave him too many years and too much money though considering his age and how steadily he's been declining and now it'll hurt us.

We're talking about a guy who's been known as a character player, leader, notorious fitness freak and great work ethic throughout his career - lets not discredit him for all that in these past few years of decline.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Comeau with 25 more seconds of PP time than Duchene and out there nearly the entire time the goalie was pulled. :huh: On the latter, you only notice him because he screws up about three possessions.

I actually really like Comeau and what he's brought to the team. No, he's not a true second liner, but with injuries, I don't shudder nearly as much as I did last time when he finds himself in such a role. That said, I can't recall a player who seems to be in the right place way more than he should be, but just has AHL level skills when it comes to capitalizing on such chances. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he was a rookie with "first-time-callup" jitters he chokes so often.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Comeau with 25 more seconds of PP time than Duchene and out there nearly the entire time the goalie was pulled. :huh: On the latter, you only notice him because he screws up about three possessions.

I actually really like Comeau and what he's brought to the team. No, he's not a true second liner, but with injuries, I don't shudder nearly as much as I did last time when he finds himself in such a role. That said, I can't recall a player who seems to be in the right place way more than he should be, but just has AHL level skills when it comes to capitalizing on such chances. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he was a rookie with "first-time-callup" jitters he chokes so often.

I wouldn't say he has AHL level skills when it comes to capitalizing on chances.

I do, however, think his one-timer sucks. If they're going to use him on the PP, put him in front of then net causing havoc and not in the slot for one-timers. He doesn't know how to take them.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I wouldn't say he has AHL level skills when it comes to capitalizing on chances.
He fumbles the puck so often that's the only conclusion I can draw. It's such a stark contrast because he might find open space better than anyone else on the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He fumbles the puck so often that's the only conclusion I can draw. It's such a stark contrast because he might find open space better than anyone else on the team.

This is the big difference I notice between him and McGinn that drives me nuts. McGinn could actually skate with the puck pretty well while in full stride and make ok passes, and we all know how good that shot was. Ping ping ping goal, ping ping goal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're not remembering McGinn correctly, he's not very good at skating with the puck and Comeau is much better at this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
McGinn never carried the puck

Not as often as Comeau, but he could skate with the puck. Back then Landeskog was actually carrying the puck up the ice. Now he rarely leads the rush.

I bet we'd see Comeau carry the puck less if Landeskog didn't have one limp arm/shoulder.

Landeskog also used to be the primary guy for-checking. Now it's Comeau, I guess these things expose Comeau a little bit. So there is some merit there I guess.

Fair enough. I guess maybe the back injury sapped McGinn's ability to carry the puck because it's not something he does for the sabres this season...

I don't remember him doing it nearly as much as Comeau, like I said because of Landeskog. But one thing McGinn was good at was starting out with the puck in traffic and dishing off a short accurate pass to the forward moving up the ice.

If he was wide open he'd carry it with good speed, but he wasn't going to stick handle around anyone. He would on occasion hold onto it just before being hit. You could count on him to make a short accurate pass under pressure. Comeau's brain seems to work a little late in those situations sometimes IMO.

Comeau is starting to remind me of Mitchll when it comes to plays ending on his stick or holding onto it too long, but he can't stick handle remotely as good as Mitchell can.

Edit : Do you remember how dangerous McGinn's shot was after he first got here coming down the side wall with speed? You don't get those kinds of shots off without speed and being able to carry the puck. You're probably right about him after the back issues started though. I just like how he kept things simple, he played much more within himself than Comeau does sometimes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad