GDT: Game 53: Avs vs Hawks | 7 PM MT | February 2, 2016 | Never Mind About the Party

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The only special teams minutes Comeau should be seeing is the PK where hes actually good. He should not be on the PP. He should not be on the ice with the goalie pulled. He should not be asked to carry the puck ever.

He is though, maybe I'm biased but I have far better memories of McGinn here than I do with Comeau right now. Even though both have their frustrating moments playing in roles that are over their heads IMO.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Comeau's a lot better defensively and no worse than McGinn in the offensive zone.

This. He's a good PKer who plays physical but just isn't an offensive threat. We NEED a player like that. We just don't need him on a scoring line, or on the power play, or with six skaters out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Agreed with the first and second. But if he's not playing in the top 6 his ability to carry the puck is useful.

If Comeau played on the third line I wouldnt hate on him so much. Its kinda like when Mitchell gets asked to play in the top 6 or on the PP I absolutely hate it but Mitchell on the 4th line im ok with.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He had to get Frei to speak in full sentances and ask a question 3x, I'm not sure exactly what the Q was, something about not getting what he wanted out of Tangs and Iggy, to which he said they are not expected to carry the line but then he also said they didn't execute well.

It seemed to me that it started out as a question aimed at his juggling the two lines. It was geared to get a response about the top line as the 4th is pretty insignificant. It really got derailed when [Frei?] brought up Iginla - Tanguay as the move because then Roy thought the question was directed towards those two rather than the lack of production from the two lines.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Comeau played on the third line I wouldnt hate on him so much. Its kinda like when Mitchell gets asked to play in the top 6 or on the PP I absolutely hate it but Mitchell on the 4th line im ok with.

A hell of a lot of people argued that Mitchell should be our third line center long term IMO.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He is though, maybe I'm biased but I have far better memories of McGinn here than I do with Comeau right now. Even though both have their frustrating moments playing in roles that are over their heads IMO.

I think you remember the Ginner that came over and played his ass off after the Galiardi trade lol. He was awesome in that ru and I think we all fell in love with him that season. Remember his 2 goals against Buffalo that one game? As much as I dislike Comeau tonight I still think overall hes better than Mcginn. Ginner was a trainwreck at times in the d zone that much I do recall.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think you remember the Ginner that came over and played his ass off after the Galiardi trade lol. He was awesome in that ru and I think we all fell in love with him that season. Remember his 2 goals against Buffalo that one game? As much as I dislike Comeau tonight I still think overall hes better than Mcginn. Ginner was a trainwreck at times in the d zone that much I do recall.

Yeah, but if you put him as the third forward on a line with two other guys you usually were able to appreciate him.

Which is the situation we're in right now, Comeau has not been good defensively or offensively lately.

Edit : And I do have to admit with this comment, it's extremely true. I loved McGinn from the on set of the trade and followed him very closely. So I'll totally admit I'm fairly biased.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Part of it (and what I miss most about him) is that McGinn was a better goal scorer.

I think all in all they are a wash talent wise, but when Comeau looks bad, it is noticeable, just as it was when the physical net front version of McGinn would disappear for multiple of games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Comeau isn't the problem. He's looked fine all year next to Soderberg, tonight was an off-night.

MacKinnon needs to step his game up. He's had a good season, but the player I'm watching this season is a player i'd give Alex Barkov money to. He hasn't earned 7M per year whatsoever.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A hell of a lot of people argued that Mitchell should be our third line center long term IMO.

Yuck. The only reason people say he can play up and down the lineup is because he doesn't actively hold better players back. He just doesn't contribute anything.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, but if you put him as the third forward on a line with two other guys you usually were able to appreciate him.

Which is the situation we're in right now, Comeau has not been good defensively or offensively lately.

Its his stick man. Joe needs to get on him about his stick. Look how many times he fans on passes or shots. Something wrong with that boys stick.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Comeau isn't the problem. He's looked fine all year next to Soderberg, tonight was an off-night.

MacKinnon needs to step his game up. He's had a good season, but the player I'm watching this season is a player i'd give Alex Barkov money to. He hasn't earned 7M per year whatsoever.

What the hell happened to the Mackinnon we had in October? That dude was unstoppable.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Nah.. NO.. hell no.. It has not just been tonight. It's been the last thee or four games IMO. He didn't have an off night.

Mitchell and Comeau both have been bad for the last weeks worth of games IMO.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
At least they showed life in the 3rd which was extinguished quite nicely there at the end by bad decisions and bad plays.

Landeskog and Söderberg were good from the forwards, Beauch was good from the D and Pickard played solidly.
Not good enough if the rest play under their normal performance levels.

Also, the Mitchell line was so piss-poor it was crazy. Atrocious performance by them, and hopefully Roy will try to invigorate that line somehow.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He's not a problem but he's not a top six player either. He should be on the third line and nowhere near the PP. That's what he brought here for too. Unfortunately, both Iginla and Tanguay's games fell off a cliff and now here we are.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yuck. The only reason people say he can play up and down the lineup is because he doesn't actively hold better players back. He just doesn't contribute anything.

MC...

Sorry but one of the things he was best at when he played UP the lineup was holding players back IMO. He absolutely holds onto the puck too long and cannot complete a pass until it's too late.

He's notorious for being an 'offensive black hole'

Which is why no one wants him anywhere near an offensive line. We've learned that lesson and had that debate, years ago now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
On another note, the spare parts line looked pretty good at times tonight. The big scrum in front of the net in the early third really should have been a goal, there were too many bodies in white there to get it in. Plus Wagner's partial breakaway, he scored a goal on a very similar play earlier in the year. I hope they keep Marty out of the lineup for a bit longer and see what that line can put together.

Who was playing center on that line anyway? I kind of forgot to check during the game.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

Comeau doesn't have enough offense to be a second liner. He's perfectly fine for the third line. You could make the case that Soderberg is better suited to be a third line center as well but at least he's generating enough offense to be on the second line. Comeau-Soderberg would make a great third line pairing but if Soderberg needs to be a 2nd line center because of a lack of depth he needs wingers who can score. Whatever the reason Landeskog right now isn't enough.

None of this is to excuse Mack or Dutchy when they aren't playing well, but the Avs are in a position where if they have an off night, the offense falls into a ditch. The situation doesn't need to be that precarious.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
MC...

Sorry but one of the things he was best at when he played UP the lineup was holding players back IMO. He absolutely holds onto the puck too long and cannot complete a pass until it's too late.

He's notorious for being an 'offensive black hole'

Which is why no one wants him anywhere near an offensive line. We've learned that lesson and had that debate, years ago now.

I don't really remember that being the case earlier in the year, but I could be wrong. Mostly I just remember that he never ended up with points no matter who he played with, this year and last.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Ive said this before and ill say it again. This team only has 4 top six forwards and often only 2 of them are going at any one time it makes it hard to score goals. Cant keep asking Barrie to score for us every game. We need help up front. Whether thats Raantanen or a trade something needs to happen to help us in our playoff push.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
It's funny to me to go from playoff run, let's get pieces at the deadline maybe even a rental to this team is straight garbage.

Let's be honest, we are not very good, sure we have won some games, but mostly on our goalies back. This team needs a lot of work. Not saying we won't make the playoffs, but we are very much a work in progress, the eternal rebuild

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On another note, the spare parts line looked pretty good at times tonight. The big scrum in front of the net in the early third really should have been a goal, there were too many bodies in white there to get it in. Plus Wagner's partial breakaway, he scored a goal on a very similar play earlier in the year. I hope they keep Marty out of the lineup for a bit longer and see what that line can put together.

Who was playing center on that line anyway? I kind of forgot to check during the game.

Wagner

As I said earlier I like his hustle. I can see he and his line have been a nightmare in the D zone. They should go back to the McLeod-Wagner-skille combo. It's not working with Mitchell anymore anyhow.

What the hell happened to the Mackinnon we had in October? That dude was unstoppable.

He's 20 is what's happened. I think he's trying to do everything himself, just flinging the puck around, he rarely tries to make plays or put some pace in his game. I'm not worried, he'll figure it out.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Let's be honest, we are not very good, sure we have won some games, but mostly on our goalies back. This team needs a lot of work. Not saying we won't make the playoffs, but we are very much a work in progress, the eternal rebuild

It's not eternal. We're close. Rebuilds, proper rebuilds anyway, take time, and we're very close to getting everything in place. There's no reason to panic. We will be better next year whether we make the playoffs or not, and the year after that, if Roykic plays everything right, we'll be legit contenders. But I don't think any serious analysts were expecting anything more out of this season than we've gotten. A possibility of a playoff picture is pretty much the best case scenario at this point in the season given the roster we had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad