GDT: Game 53: Avs vs Hawks | 7 PM MT | February 2, 2016 | Never Mind About the Party

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've said all along its going to take an injury to get Rantanen up. Roy does not want to waive Grigo, Wagner or send down Martinsen. I don't think a loss is going to force his hand, I know he got expasperated at the Tampa loss but I just don't think he wants to break the forwards up. It's going to take an injury or the deadline to get Rantanen here. Prove me wrong, Roy.

I'm not so sure on that. I think he'll give him about as much rope as he gave Everberg and Rendulic, and I think he's getting close to the end of that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Where have you been? McGinn was one of the best straight line skaters we've had as a third liner. He's one of the few who could keep up with Duchene.

Seriously?
I've been right here. I have a McGinn jersey. He really wasn't a great skater, and his acceleration was poor. McGinn played within himself, but for a third liner, he didn't provide anything defensively, and that's not good.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As usual, I think if we want to discuss Roy's comments and draw conclusions from them it would be helpful to listen to them and not take what one person posts. I just listened, let's just say he wasn't happy with everyone.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Where have you been? McGinn was one of the best straight line skaters we've had as a third liner. He's one of the few who could keep up with Duchene.

Seriously?

McGinn wasn't slow once he got up to speed, but that took a while.

And you are correct, just like Comeau he really was a 3rd liner

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not so sure on that. I think he'll give him about as much rope as he gave Everberg and Rendulic, and I think he's getting close to the end of that.

He told Martinsen to find a place to live in Denver, the other two never got out of the hotel. I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't think he's going to do it just to bring Rantanen up.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I read that as a subtle jab at Mack and Duchene tonight. I see you Roy I see you.

Him telling the truth is a "subtle jab"? Come off it man. He's speaking the TRUTH on that one. THEY are the ones who need to drive that line. THEY are the "faces of the franchise". They have an absurd amount of offensive talent between the two.

He's telling the truth on that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Comeau isn't horrible, but he's a third liner being asked to contribute on a second line above his talent level. No, he's not helping the team there, but it's not all his fault just because he's being asked to play a role that he can't because our high-end forward depth is so bad.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's frustrating to watch this game seeing our forwards so bottled up and the Hawks basically suffocate us while their forwards could do as they pleased.

Not sure why such a huge gap was given by our defensemen all night. That's a gameplan to lose to Chicago. Kane and Panarin did as they pleased all night

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Him telling the truth is a "subtle jab"? Come off it man. He's speaking the TRUTH on that one. THEY are the ones who need to drive that line. THEY are the "faces of the franchise". They have an absurd amount of offensive talent between the two.

Whoa chill im not saying its a bad thing. I actually like that hes calling those 2 out they werent good tonight especially Mackinnon. I even said earlier its up to those two to carry that line so not sure what you going crazy for.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to see a Landeskog-Soderberg-Duchene line to get us scoring goals again. MacK and Comeau could play somewhat sheltered minutes alongside Greg/Tangs/Iggy/Mikko. But if Mack-Dutchy are going to stay together, I would love it if they brought McG back for the playoff push, if we could get him for a 3rd/4th and a prospect on his way out.

McGinn - MacKinnon - Duchene
Landeskog - Soderberg - Comeau
Grigorenko - Mitchell - Tangs/Iggy
McCleod - Wagner - Tangs/Iggy/Skille

Beauchemin - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Bigras -

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
As usual, I think if we want to discuss Roy's comments and draw conclusions from them it would be helpful to listen to them and not take what one person posts. I just listened, let's just say he wasn't happy with everyone.

Agreed.

Doesn't help he really didn't comprehend the intent of the question, but he pretty much called out Iggy and Tangs for not being sharp. MacK and Dutch got the inferred "they were not very good" treatment

About the only 2 forwards that got positive mention was Yeti and Landy

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

Here's the comments if anyone wants to listen:

https://t.co/EkBYo74orV

I didn't take the comments out of context for what it's worth...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's frustrating to watch this game seeing our forwards so bottled up and the Hawks basically suffocate us while their forwards could do as they pleased.

Not sure why such a huge gap was given by our defensemen all night. That's a gameplan to lose to Chicago. Kane and Panarin did as they pleased all night

I have noticed over the past little while here that we are giving up the blue line rather easily. I think that LA game they even highlighted it where our dman just let one of the Kings players stroll right in for a shot. They showed Roy asking Farrish "Why did that happen" or something. Pierre was all over it.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Is it just my imagination or has Bigras not even been on the ice for a goal against, let alone be responsible for one?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Agreed.

Doesn't help he really didn't comprehend the intent of the question, but he pretty much called out Iggy and Tangs for not being sharp. MacK and Dutch got the inferred "they were not very good" treatment

About the only 2 forwards that got positive mention was Yeti and Landy

He had to get Frei to speak in full sentances and ask a question 3x, I'm not sure exactly what the Q was, something about not getting what he wanted out of Tangs and Iggy, to which he said they are not expected to carry the line but then he also said they didn't execute well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've been right here. I have a McGinn jersey. He really wasn't a great skater, and his acceleration was poor. McGinn played within himself, but for a third liner, he didn't provide anything defensively, and that's not good.

McGinn wasn't slow once he got up to speed, but that took a while.

And you are correct, just like Comeau he really was a 3rd liner

McGinn won a faster skater competition in the AHL, before he had his injury issues he was absolutely fast. I'm not sure who is better between him and Comeau. However McGinn could handle the puck while skating at full speed, and he also could receive the puck and make simple plays while at full stride.

One of the big reasons he had such great chemistry with Duchene was that he could keep up at full stride going through the neutral zone. I'm not saying he had amazing start/stop ability, but for his size he could absolutely move and was usually there with Duchene in the O-zone, which helped a lot IMO.

I'm just saying McGinn played more to his strengths than Comeau does. Comeau really seems like he has no idea what to do with the puck after he skates it up IMO. They are similar, but McGinn was a touch better in the offensive zone, while Comeau is a touch better defensively.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Is it just my imagination or has Bigras not even been on the ice for a goal against, let alone be responsible for one?
Don't think he's been out there for a goal. Tonight was one of his more up and down nights. Had some rough moments in the second period. Doesn't help that his partner is awful.

They are similar, but McGinn was a touch better in the offensive zone, while Comeau is a touch better defensively.
Comeau is much better defensively than McGinn.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

Kane didn't score tonight
Towes didn't play tonight

sure Matt and MacK need to be better but so does our depth and Roy has a responsibility to ice players that give us the best chance to win

I may not have felt Rants showed enough early this season but both him and Zads are better options than players filling those roles now

Chicago puts those type of young players in positions to succeed and they seize the opportunity

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
McGinn won a faster skater competition in the AHL, before he had his injury issues he was absolutely fast. I'm not sure who is better between him and Comeau. However McGinn could handle the puck while skating at full speed, and he also could receive the puck and make simple plays while at full stride.

One of the big reasons he had such great chemistry with Duchene was that he could keep up at full stride going through the neutral zone. I'm not saying he had amazing start/stop ability, but for his size he could absolutely move and was usually there with Duchene in the O-zone, which helped a lot IMO.

I'm just saying McGinn played more to his strengths than Comeau does. Comeau really seems like he has no idea what to do with the puck after he skates it up IMO. They are similar, but McGinn was a touch better in the offensive zone, while Comeau is a touch better defensively.

The only special teams minutes Comeau should be seeing is the PK where hes actually good. He should not be on the PP. He should not be on the ice with the goalie pulled. He should not be asked to carry the puck ever.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So the St Louis game is the last one they played well, which was Zadorov's last game. Maybe just a coincidence. Generally EJ would be an upgrade there but he just isn't quite himself yet. Those 5 games with Zadorov and Bigras the team did look good. Of course goal scoring has been a bit of an issue for a while too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The only special teams minutes Comeau should be seeing is the PK where hes actually good. He should not be on the PP. He should not be on the ice with the goalie pulled. He should not be asked to carry the puck ever.

Agreed with the first and second. But if he's not playing in the top 6 his ability to carry the puck is useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad