GDT: Game 53: Avalanche @ Capitals - Coming in From the Cold? - 5PM MT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Btw losing a game in OT is pretty much the worst result possible. Not enough to make the playoffs and too much to "catch" Ottawa. Bummer.

It could be a positive though. It was our first come from behind point in almost a month. Our first time battling back two tie a game in the 3rd period in what feels like years.

And despite Varly looking quite bad and allowing 4 goals, he did manage to get pretty close to league average goaltending tonight.

It could be the tiniest of sparks required for us to get some wins again. I doubt it but you never know.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah but even before he got hurt, nada. Hopefully before February is over we'll get to see Frank
Yeah I’m guessing nobody could foresee the goaltending failures continuing long enough to fall out of a playoff spot. I certainly expected at least one of Varly/Grubauer to bounce back to .905-.910ish hockey at least but nopeeee.

Reactions: Murzu

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
by all accounts, this team should be wayyyyyy out of a playoff spot. The Avs are 9 points back of their pace last year, and we all know how hot they had to be down the stretch to barely make the playoffs. The Blues were at the bottom of the league not too long ago, and the Avs were at the top, now they're completely flipped.

I'm a huge believer in this core, but unless something drastic happens, the Avs are not making the playoffs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really don't get their reluctancy for at least trying Francouz... Makes zero sense, are they trying to intentionally tank? Jesus.
In a season where they would only have one 1st round pick, I'd say no, tanking wouldn't make sense because of the lottery, but they'll have two high 1st round picks, so it's quite possible they are tanking, because no team should be this bad, I mean everyhing about this team is bad, they might very well be tanking to get that 2 chances at winning the lottery

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It was really dumb from Cole to hit Kuz last night in both the way he hit him and the timing of it as well but let's not forget Kuz's selling job on that hit was of immense proportion. Cole barely touched him. He didn't even touch his head. It should have been just a two minutes interference penalty.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
In a season where they would only have one 1st round pick, I'd say no, tanking wouldn't make sense because of the lottery, but they'll have two high 1st round picks, so it's quite possible they are tanking, because no team should be this bad, I mean everyhing about this team is bad, they might very well be tanking to get that 2 chances at winning the lottery
There is absolutely no way these guys are trying to tank. That is such a stupid comment.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a big difference between tanking and just wait to see how the season unfold and still hoping to make the playoffs.

It all depends on context. Are they stripping the team bare of assets and TRYING to lose? No. But...they didn't even do that in the Season of Doom two years ago.

But if they're not going to do anything and just hope this team turns it around, then yes, they are prepared for this to be a top-five-pick finish. In that sense, yes, they're tanking.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is absolutely no way these guys are trying to tank. That is such a stupid comment.
Oh yeah, because you know for sure what they're doing? At least I speculate, obviously I wouldn't know for sure.

I'd still say the biggest issue with this team is not goaltending, its secondary scoring. After thinking about it a little bit, the Avs have always been an offensive minded team and that's not gonna change, and in a lot of this losses, yeah they play badly and fall behind in every game, but in a lot of the games they lose, they need that one extra goal to get a lead or come back and tie it, they cant get it because the 1st line is gassed and no one else on the team can change a game.

Goaltending is bad, but I think part of it has to do with them knowing that when the game is tied or a close game, if the 1st line isn't going, no one else is gonna break a game, so they play without confidence in net.

I blame coaching, I blame leadership or defense, goalies, but biggest problem is secondary scoring with this team

Edit: the goalies fold under pressure knowing that if they allow that one more goal, the game is over. Because when the team was winning, the 1st line scoring bunch of points every game, the goalies were playing just fine

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It all depends on context. Are they stripping the team bare of assets and TRYING to lose? No. But...they didn't even do that in the Season of Doom two years ago.

But if they're not going to do anything and just hope this team turns it around, then yes, they are prepared for this to be a top-five-pick finish. In that sense, yes, they're tanking.
I see your point but not doing anything because the prices are way too high and not wanting to mortgage our future is not tanking. It might be being too passive but not tanking.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The hit at Calgary was clean as a whistle and the penalty (5+) was the worst call i've seen all season. Yesterday tho ... that's a different story.

Agreed it was an awful call but the result of the bad call from the officials is not my point...as far as I remember, we had that game fairly well in-hand and there was no reason for Cole to do it. He went out of his way to make that hit...that's just not being very smart. Don't give them anything, don't wake them up if they're sleeping.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I see your point but not doing anything because the prices are way too high and not wanting to mortgage our future is not tanking. It might be being too passive but not tanking.

There's other things he can do. I still think Parkkila should've been sent packing a while ago, before the All-Star break even, and even though it might be too late, it should still happen. For them to make this massive an investment in goaltending and not do everything conceivably possible to try and fix it is, to me, completely crazy. For an organization that appears to not want to waste money, they're certainly doing just that right now.

I also wonder if they can make a shakeup a little higher in the coaching ranks. I'm at the point where I think they could boot Nolan Pratt.

I also think that Sakic and the rest of the brain trust are still concerned that this prospect base still isn't where it needs to be, especially with Tyson Jost likely headed to Bustville. I don't think for a moment they haven't considered the upside of letting it hit the skids all the way and snagging two prime time prospects. It makes me want to puke...but I think they are prepared for that to happen and might actually be okay with it.

I think there are going to be some very dire consequences for letting the season slip away. Sakic should not take that lightly. I think it's 100% on him for not making moves sooner, when certain players held higher value and the team was still playing relatively well, but there are still actions he could take that would at least give us the impression that he isn't just sitting in his office dithering away.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There's other things he can do. I still think Parkkila should've been sent packing a while ago, before the All-Star break even, and even though it might be too late, it should still happen. For them to make this massive an investment in goaltending and not do everything conceivably possible to try and fix it is, to me, completely crazy. For an organization that appears to not want to waste money, they're certainly doing just that right now.

I also wonder if they can make a shakeup a little higher in the coaching ranks. I'm at the point where I think they could boot Nolan Pratt.

I also think that Sakic and the rest of the brain trust are still concerned that this prospect base still isn't where it needs to be, especially with Tyson Jost likely headed to Bustville. I don't think for a moment they haven't considered the upside of letting it hit the skids all the way and snagging two prime time prospects. It makes me want to puke...but I think they are prepared for that to happen and might actually be okay with it.

I think there are going to be some very dire consequences for letting the season slip away. Sakic should not take that lightly. I think it's 100% on him for not making moves sooner, when certain players held higher value and the team was still playing relatively well, but there are still actions he could take that would at least give us the impression that he isn't just sitting in his office dithering away.
I agree on the goalie coach. Two very good goalies both sucking that bad at the same time is a big red flag to me. I voiced my concerns on that a while back.

I'm also starting to sour on Pratt as well. However it could also be a personnel issue for the D. Barrie is what he is defensively. EJ's hockey IQ has always been in question. Big Z has always had focus problems. Not much he can do about those things. Same about team defense. They seem to be saying and teaching the right things but big breakdowns still happen. To their credit though they have reduces the grade A chances quite a bit from last year so they have that going for them. But when they breakdown they are big ones. They are much more evident due to our goalies though. Again every team makes big breakdowns during games but their goalies usually bail them out half the time. Not here though.

Don't agree yet with the rest of your post...ask me again at the TDL though and I might change my answer. At this moment I still believe they want to make the playoffs because IMO they know it is very important for the team to keep going forward.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad