GDT: Game 53: Avalanche @ Capitals - Coming in From the Cold? - 5PM MT

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Would you blame a goalie for leaving a gaping five-hole on said breakaway? As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who the scorer was in that scenario.
Not really. Good players make those holes. Which is why you don't give up a breakaway to Kuznetsov in OT. He had all the time in the world.

Reactions: McMetal and klozge

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yeah, Avs are toast this season. That was the most deflated I have ever heard Landeskog in an interview. They know the season is over and at this point are just playing it out to play it out.

Amazing how quick this year turned on a dime.

2016/17 is setting in mentally. That's the big danger of management doing nothing and accepting failed seasons like this. Hopefully our top guys hold up and we don't see more complete burnouts. Draft picks don't fix some issues.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
2016/17 is setting in mentally. That's the big danger of management doing nothing and accepting failed seasons like this. Hopefully our top guys hold up and we don't see more complete burnouts. Draft picks don't fix some issues.

This is huge to me and why I think Sakic needs to do something before the offseason even if it’s just a small trade for a forward or getting rid of Bednar. Sakic really needs to find a way to try to gain the team some confidence back before the top guys lose all confidence and get more deflated.

Reactions: klozge and Avs44

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
These guys refuse to learn from their mistakes in OT. They need to learn how to change while they have possession. That's how they are going to tire out the other guys on the ice and have better scoring opportunities. They are chasing for a while and once they finally get it they are tired but they attack and try to score but when they lose it they are too tired to backcheck. This is a coaching issue.

Varly was much better tonight but that 3rd goal...oh my!!! Good on the guys to come back and get a point.

Mack still trying to hard. I hate when he has possession on the board and tries to cut to the middle through 2-3 guys. Rants has started to this too the last month. Keep it simple.

They should never have Barrie and Mack together in OT. Two high-risk players together is calling for trouble and it happens everytime.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
This is huge to me and why I think Sakic needs to do something before the offseason even if it’s just a small trade for a forward or getting rid of Bednar. Sakic really needs to find a way to try to gain the team some confidence back before the top guys lose all confidence and get more deflated.

Yep. The core guys now were here for that disastrous 2016/17 season. They stuck it through then. If that mentality sinks in again -- and some of their body language isn't looking great -- it might be really tough to move past it again. Can't have two rather epic collapses in two out of three years and not expect extreme frustration and casualties. Better ****ing pray another Duchene situation doesn't occur. It's why this season was and is so crucial. They need to sweep away everything that happened in 2016/17, not fall back towards it.

The mentality and complete defeatism seeping in again should be by far the biggest concern for all of us right now -- and certainly for Joe ****ing Sakic if he's actually paying attention.

Reactions: MacBradley

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Varlamov's rebound control was crap, and the third goal (Tom Wilson high shot wide, which Varly swatted into his own net with his blocker while down on his knees) had no business going in, but for the first time in months he actually looked like the real Varlamov. I'm hoping whatever was ailing him is in the past.

I also thought, in all 4:11 ice time, AJ Greer looked good. A lot better than most of the slug forwards the Avalanche dress on a nightly basis. I hope they actually give him a chance to play 9-11 minutes next game.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
I don’t know how hard Cole actually got Kuznetsov but could he have made it more obvious? That was so stupid. He slows down and flares up his elbow. There was nothing subtle about it. And then he got the ass kicking of a lifetime.
Cole is the ultimate Sabotuer, I can’t help but get a panic attack every time I see him on the ice

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
It's insane we can still make the playoffs. Oilers and Ducks are absolute dumpsterfire. Minnesota just lost Koivu, Canucks are not good enough.

We are only on of a few teams that will be contenders in 2020 - 2021 season, Avs, Preds, Jets and Calgary. Many other teams will be rebuilding fully or partially rebuilding and will be beatable by the top teams.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Whats concerning to me is that even the dumpy teams of the league like Ottawa and LA can accidentally win games sometimes.

The Avs are just hopeless right now and cant even do that.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
is ian cole still alive?, holy hell did he get his lunch served to him. I would be too embarrassed to enter the locker room ever again if i got demolished like that

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So are the only games that Avs can win are ones where the other goaler is beyond poor too?

Avs actually played a good game, I am not as deflated as you guys' are. Avs easily win this if Varlamov wasn't Philippe Sauve in net and holy smokes did you lot see his body language? He looks absolutely defeated and that is not a good sign.

There are a lot of positives to take in his game such as battling back from being down 3-1 against the freakin' Caps. Next game if we stop taking all those offencive penalties, at brutal times, and get the first goal and perhaps we will see a win.

It was nice to see Wilson get wrecked by Zadorov and then him bitch after that. Don't whine when you can't take your own medicine, 10 out of 10 penalty.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
is ian cole still alive?, holy hell did he get his lunch served to him. I would be too embarrassed to enter the locker room ever again if i got demolished like that

I didn't catch the fight, was it that bad? I said on the 1st page that I didn't want Greer to get demolished by Wilson but didn't expect Cole to take his place.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Well guys...this sucks. But it could actually be worse if you can believe it

I have been puzzled as to why Carlyle has not been fired, but then I have seen these situations before and sometimes it is due to the fact that the GM has been restricted from taking that action. It is often due to the GM being on the way out as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't catch the fight, was it that bad? I said on the 1st page that I didn't want Greer to get demolished by Wilson but didn't expect Cole to take his place.
Cole is physical, but the bloke was never a good fighter (like ever) and Wilson just went all psychotic after an accidental contact hit from Cole on Kuznestov. He didn't even give Cole the time to drop his gloves.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Anyone see Cole's face after the game? I thought it looked like he was bleeding from the the little the camera caught of his head coming back out of his jersey.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014

It was literally Wilson upcutting a helmet-less Cole in the face about 25 times in a row until the refs decided to swoop in and check for a pulse. Cole didn't get a single swing in.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Whats concerning to me is that even the dumpy teams of the league like Ottawa and LA can accidentally win games sometimes.

The Avs are just hopeless right now and cant even do that.
LA is 6-3-1 and Ottawa beat the ducks.

Yah we suck bad though lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad