GDT: Game 53: Avalanche @ Capitals - Coming in From the Cold? - 5PM MT

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't have much of a problem with Bednar's strategy being based on 100% effort and forecheck. However if you are gonna used that strategy you need a 4th line strong enough to play around 8-10 mins so that your top-9 are relatively fresh during the latter part of the 3rd period. Right now those guys play around 6 mins and the top line is gased when it is time to push to tie the game at the end.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Yeah that goal Varly let in last night is still mind boggling to me. Like is he actively trying to make us lose now? How do you turn a shot going 3 feet over the net into a goal for the other team.

To me, the biggest criticism Sakic deserves right now is the fact Varlamov is still on this roster. He has played downright terribly for months now, has actively taken this team out of the playoff picture almost entirely on his own(He and Grubauer have formed one hell of a duo in this regard), and yet Bednar continues to play him and Sakic is doing nothing to force Bednar to try something different.

Move Varly and that will force Bednar to turn to Grubs. Or better yet to call Frankie up and give him a real shot. Since you would think he wasn't brought over from Europe to simply play in the AHL for a year before walking away to another team who will give him a real shot.

I can honestly see where Sakic has been coming from with pretty much every other roster decision made this year including the decisions of not making moves for the secondary scoring help. But this goaltending situation right now is flat out inexcusable right now if it goes past the deadline without being solved(IE With Varly still on the roster).

Move Varly to where? Nobody is going to take him.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Bednar’s strategy is akin to the World award I strategy of just repeatedly running men into heavy fire and hoping the other side runs out of ammunition. There is no real strategy, it’s just hoping the other side breaks before your side. Well, our side broke

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just finished this game. Man do I wish I skipped it. Every problem that has plagued this team this year was a problem in this one.

Teams starts the game sloppy just like every night. Barrie gets caught totally out of position in the first few minutes to give up a partial breakaway. Calvert completely forgets about Burakovsky who he's been covering, and lets him walk right in for the back door tap in goal.

Cole takes his nightly terrible penalty in the 2nd period that always seems to lead to a goal. Then he takes another one of his dumb sneaky penalties he thinks he can get away with without the refs seeing. Which they always do. I was actually happy Wilson beat the shit out of him after that crap. Kills a dangerous 2 on 2 rush the Avs were about to have, and puts them on the PK when they’re down 3-2 late in the 3rd.

Things weren’t much better in goal. All the pucks were either bouncing off Varly like a racquet ball or sneaking through him. You can maybe make a case that Ovi has a blast of a one timer, but that 3rd goal that went off his blocker was just absolutely unacceptable. Especially right at the beginning fo the 3rd.

All the tweeners like Ghetto, Nieto, and Calvert displayed their nightly lack of poise all game because they’re worried about moving their feet faster than their mind to play Bednar’s system that’s too demanding for them.

Kerfoot like usual when he plays a big team, got boxed out of every play, and was pretty invisible. Same with Ghetto who I saw get forced about 20 feet wide when he was trying to crash the net. He also managed to shoot the puck into the corner off a wide open one timer in the slot. That was pretty impressive.

Then in OT MacKinnon selfishly refuses to leave the ice and stays out for a full two minutes. He coughs up Barrie’s pass because he’s tired, while Barrie skates into Mikko and knocks him down, and they lose. Just a comedy of errors and so preventable.

I still don't think Bednar has them practice the 3 on 3, because every single time they look completely confused at what to do, and always make terrible line changes. The Avs problems in OT is 100% on the coaching staff. There's no way they should be this bad and look so out of sync every single time. With the standings so close, OT is responsible for way too many lost points that the coaching staff is ignoring.

There’s problems with the lack of secondary scoring in the personel, and either average or bad goaltending every night, but I’m getting to the point where it might be time to make a change behind the bench. Bednar just can’t weed out these mistakes the team is making, and these sloppy mistake filled starts are putting them behind the eight ball every night.

I just have no faith in this team’s ability to win games right now. It was 1-1 early in the 2nd and I almost just turned the game off because it didn’t feel like there was any way they’d win this game. They were lucky to get one point out of this game to be honest.

Bad start, bad mistakes, bad penalties, bad goaltending, lack of poise. Usually it’s one or two of these things that’s leading to losses. In this one it was everything.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still don't think Bednar has them practice the 3 on 3, because every single time they look completely confused at what to do, and always make terrible line changes. The Avs problems in OT is 100% on the coaching staff. There's no way they should be this bad and look so out of sync every single time. With the standings so close, OT is responsible for way too many lost points that the coaching staff is ignoring.

Normally I'd be the first to argue against an assertion like this...but right now I can't. There are some deep, systemic issues right now that simply aren't getting fixed.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Somebody would absolutely take him for a late round pick.

And if not, just put him on freaking waivers.

Yeah. Let's put the goalie who has carried this team for years in the effin waivers when he is better one of two sucky goalies and the let new guy who hasn't done shit and has been quite dbag be starting goalie. That's one way to make things even worse and lose the locker room completely. Never go full Pejorative Slur.

Reactions: klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs are 1 for 9 this year in OT.

1 for 14 going back to last year.

The coaching staff clearly spends next to no time practicing it. The way they make line changes, the way they try to defend, or protect the puck. It looks like they haven't practiced it once this year.

Going 0 for 9 this year with the standings so close is just unacceptable. That's at least four points the coaching staff has left on the table. Probably so they can drill Bednar's 5 on 5 system into the ground.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah. Let's put the goalie who has carried this team for years in the effin waivers when he is better one of two sucky goalies and the let new guy who hasn't done **** and has been quite dbag be starting goalie. That's one way to make things even worse and lose the locker room completely. Never go full ******.

:laugh:

It literally cannot get worse in net then it is right now. We are last in the league and not even close to the 30th worst team.

Varly is not the future in net, he is done here in April. At some point Grubauer has to be given an opportunity to play and see what he can do and it's clear that isn't going to happen so long as Varly is still here. He has to go plain and simple. Who gives a shit what he did for this team 3 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad