GDT: Game 53: Avalanche @ Capitals - Coming in From the Cold? - 5PM MT

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Same lol. He never tried to save a puck going 3 feet wide of the net .
100% a confidence issue.

Neither goalie has any right now.
As a goalie, when you start losing your net and your confidence, you overcompensate. You try harder, which leads to over committing, scrambling more, and makes you want to stop anything and everything. And it leads to you not trusting your natural instinct. Instead, your panic or “I gotta try harder” instinct kicks in and you even start attempting to save what’s missing the net.

Horrible feeling. Once it creeps up, very difficult to overcome mid-season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's other things he can do. I still think Parkkila should've been sent packing a while ago, before the All-Star break even, and even though it might be too late, it should still happen. For them to make this massive an investment in goaltending and not do everything conceivably possible to try and fix it is, to me, completely crazy. For an organization that appears to not want to waste money, they're certainly doing just that right now.

I also wonder if they can make a shakeup a little higher in the coaching ranks. I'm at the point where I think they could boot Nolan Pratt.

I also think that Sakic and the rest of the brain trust are still concerned that this prospect base still isn't where it needs to be, especially with Tyson Jost likely headed to Bustville. I don't think for a moment they haven't considered the upside of letting it hit the skids all the way and snagging two prime time prospects. It makes me want to puke...but I think they are prepared for that to happen and might actually be okay with it.

I think there are going to be some very dire consequences for letting the season slip away. Sakic should not take that lightly. I think it's 100% on him for not making moves sooner, when certain players held higher value and the team was still playing relatively well, but there are still actions he could take that would at least give us the impression that he isn't just sitting in his office dithering away.

In Sakic's presser he basically said hes been trying to bring in help for the last two to three weeks. Either hes right to not pay the prices that are demanded, or hes pulling his old stuff where he refuses to do anything that isn't an absolute bargain.

He basically stated he has been "trying" though lol. I don't know if that is more of less of an indictment on him in the end.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In Sakic's presser he basically said hes been trying to bring in help for the last two to three weeks. Either hes right to not pay the prices that are demanded, or hes pulling his old stuff where he refuses to do anything that isn't an absolute bargain.

He basically stated he has been "trying" though lol. I don't know if that is more of less of an indictment on him in the end.
If the ask is a top prospect plus our two first rounders then I understand why that's a non starter and I would agree with him that those picks plus Makar should be non starters. I just have a hard time believing we cant get anything at all for someone like Kerfoot, Ghetto, Nemeth. A good GM would atleast be able to get something out those guys. We seen it done by other teams #whynotus

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah that goal Varly let in last night is still mind boggling to me. Like is he actively trying to make us lose now? How do you turn a shot going 3 feet over the net into a goal for the other team.

To me, the biggest criticism Sakic deserves right now is the fact Varlamov is still on this roster. He has played downright terribly for months now, has actively taken this team out of the playoff picture almost entirely on his own(He and Grubauer have formed one hell of a duo in this regard), and yet Bednar continues to play him and Sakic is doing nothing to force Bednar to try something different.

Move Varly and that will force Bednar to turn to Grubs. Or better yet to call Frankie up and give him a real shot. Since you would think he wasn't brought over from Europe to simply play in the AHL for a year before walking away to another team who will give him a real shot.

I can honestly see where Sakic has been coming from with pretty much every other roster decision made this year including the decisions of not making moves for the secondary scoring help. But this goaltending situation right now is flat out inexcusable right now if it goes past the deadline without being solved(IE With Varly still on the roster).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Cole was supposed to be a #5, that played up as a #4 sometimes. To no ones surprise Bednar is using him as a #4 that plays up to a #2 at times lol.

Fatigue makes you do dumb ****.
The one that burns me the most is the hit he laid in Calgary. The flames were dead in the water all they needed was a kick start and Ian Cole handed it right to them. The hit itself was fine it wasn't dirty and he didn't deserve the penalty but at the same time you have to take the temperature of a game and as a veteran I thought he be able to do that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If the ask is a top prospect plus our two first rounders then I understand why that's a non starter and I would agree with him that those picks plus Makar should be non starters. I just have a hard time believing we cant get anything at all for someone like Kerfoot, Ghetto, Nemeth. A good GM would atleast be able to get something out those guys. We seen it done by other teams #whynotus

Well @Pokecheque makes a fair point about Jordan Weal, but I'd have liked something bigger. It is hard to judge, but past precedence would suggest hes too focused on the perfect deal.

I don't really blame anyone for not getting anything out of those guys. I also don't think they'd detract from our group of defense, and it makes sense. Even as much as I love Graves it isn't to a point they could fully trust him, and Barbs has been either injured or bad.

The one that burns me the most is the hit he laid in Calgary. The flames were dead in the water all they needed was a kick start and Ian Cole handed it right to them. The hit itself was fine it wasn't dirty and he didn't deserve the penalty but at the same time you have to take the temperature of a game and as a veteran I thought he be able to do that.

Yeah you'd think a veteran player would be able to judge that situation. Especially someone that is supposed to be very intelligent. Again though.. Fatigue turns into mistakes of all kinds.

Bednar has no ability to tell when hes over using certain guys. Cole, Girard, Top line, etc.. Then he gets positive results out of a major bump in Z's minutes, and what does he do the moment EJ comes back? Instead of using it to slash Cole's minutes things go right back to the way they were before. Bednar has just recently tried to cut Girard's minutes when it needed to happen months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well @Pokecheque makes a fair point about Jordan Weal, but I'd have liked something bigger. It is hard to judge, but past precedence would suggest hes too focused on the perfect deal.

I don't really blame anyone for not getting anything out of those guys. I also don't think they'd detract from our group of defense, and it makes sense. Even as much as I love Graves it isn't to a point they could fully trust him, and Barbs has been either injured or bad.

Yeah you'd think a veteran player would be able to judge that situation. Especially someone that is supposed to be very intelligent. Again though.. Fatigue turns into mistakes of all kinds.

Bednar has no ability to tell when hes over using certain guys. Cole, Girard, Top line, etc.. Then he gets positive results out of a major bump in Z's minutes, and what does he do the moment EJ comes back? Instead of using it to slash Cole's minutes things go right back to the way they were before. Bednar has just recently tried to cut Girard's minutes when it needed to happen months ago.

Ian Cole is like my old 94 Mazda Protégé. When I drive it short distances it ran like a beaut. It was ugly but it got me from point A to B. When I drove it on the highway it would have all kinds of problems and eventually just said, "ah f*** this. walk" as it died on the yellowhead.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ian Cole is like my old 94 Mazda Protégé. When I drive it short distances it ran like a beaut. It was ugly but it got me from point A to B. When I drove it on the highway it would have all kinds of problems and eventually just said, "ah **** this. walk" as it died on the yellowhead.

Yeah I mean, we were warned by a lot of people from Pit, and CBJ about what would happen if he was overused.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Girard's play was one of the bright spots last night. Him and EJ were really good together and they had quite a few shifts against Ovechkin's line too so it was good to see.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Girard's play was one of the bright spots last night. Him and EJ were really good together and they had quite a few shifts against Ovechkin's line too so it was good to see.
G has looked good the last few. Its good to see after playing some not so good hockey for awhile. EJ has also been good for awhile.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
G has looked good the last few. Its good to see after playing some not so good hockey for awhile. EJ has also been good for awhile.

Yup. Might be time to reunite them. That might not be great news for Zadorov though unless Cole is out.

Didn't Joe try to telling us Cole was a PMD?

He most definitely did. It was like getting conned into buying a run down used car and then going home and trying to sell your wife on why it was a good deal. He was just making stuff up and hoping people would buy it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yup. Might be time to reunite them. That might not be great news for Zadorov though unless Cole is out.
I don't like doing anything that will be at the expense of Z lol. I'm in the boat of play Z more and give him more responsibility like when Jared had to play Z more in the playoffs due to EJ being hurt. That was the best stretch of hockey Z has played for us imo.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I'm thoroughly convinced that Landy is only player on the team that knows how to play without the puck. And until that changes, we aren't winning ****.

Some say that Bednar isn't the problem, but if that is not the case, who else is supposed to teach them? Just being young and fast is a terrible strategy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm thoroughly convinced that Landy is only player on the team that knows how to play without the puck. And until that changes, we aren't winning ****.

Some say that Bednar isn't the problem, but if that is not the case, who else is supposed to teach them? Just being young and fast is a terrible strategy.
we have several forwards who can. Landy, Rantanen when he wants to, Soderberg and Compher is improving(slowly) at it. Kerfoot and Ghetto are the worse. Mackinnon isn't far behind them. When was the last time you said,"Great defensive play by Mackinnon." not never.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
we have several forwards who can. Landy, Rantanen when he wants to, Soderberg and Compher is improving(slowly) at it. Kerfoot and Ghetto are the worse. Mackinnon isn't far behind them. When was the last time you said,"Great defensive play by Mackinnon." not never.

Yeah, I forgot Soda and JTC. They are alright, but MacK is definitely up for the Anti-Selke award.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

You don't like Bednar's strategy of just skating as hard as you can and mindlessly chasing the puck?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You forgot... and hooking, holding, and slashing when you're tired.
That's something I've noticed so much about this team since Bednar took over. Almost every player cross checks and slashes like crazy without the puck, ESPECIALLY Rantanen. I'm surprised Mikko doesn't get a minimum of one cross checking penalty per game. If that's a Bednar instilled tactic, it's downright idiotic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Good. Now play Ian Cole on the 3rd pairing for the time being, and let Zadorov-Barrie stick together for a while.

I'm so ****ing sick and tired of Ian Cole on this team. He's Francois Beauchemin all over again. I thought Sakic learned his lesson but clearly these are players that Sakic simply thinks are reasons teams win.
Dammit! Greer just got a little more than our GA. 4:11 to 4GA, so close to winning on my own bet.

Lol of course he didn't even get to play 5 minutes. Why on earth would Jared Bednar allow his 4th line to play more than 5 minutes in a hockey game. Just play the top line 22-25 minutes nightly, that'll work for an 82 game schedule!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's something I've noticed so much about this team since Bednar took over. Almost every player cross checks and slashes like crazy without the puck, ESPECIALLY Rantanen. I'm surprised Mikko doesn't get a minimum of one cross checking penalty per game. If that's a Bednar instilled tactic, it's downright idiotic.

His teams at all levels have done it. Not sure if it is a tactic or a result of tired legs and trying to interfere.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad