GDT: Game # 51 Rangers vs Islanders - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Which players didn't hustle?

a majority of the team last night didnt hustle. Especially the vets. Ive noticed they like to stand wand wait for the puck to come to them. This gives the isles time to close in and keep their forecheck up.

we need to go to the puck and keep moving. Cant slow things down against a team like the isles.

we were out worked and out hustled all night.

The top 2 lines were especially bad at this. The kids and 4th line actually played decently.

our dmen also like to wait for the puck on the walls.

To much waiting. Gotta keep the legs moving. Isles just keep moving and keep pressuring.

also why cant we complete easy passes? We manage to always pass into skates, or elevate over sticks. Heck even when on stick we manage to not receive the pass well.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
You sound like a broken record during every loss.
so fans love a passive team cause I don't. most teams down 2-0 would try to change momentum with a fight or a big hit or a big something to get the crowd into the game. fans can tell when the team is not trying and or gave up. they rather take their vacations than play some playoff hockey. the players know they would get embarrassed in the playoffs. so why make even make it. im guessing that is their mentality

Reactions: Captain Lindy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Quinn was brought in to develop the kids and let them progress. We are seeing that with most of the kids who are making progress and taking steps forward, but when the time comes for them to be a playoff team he is not the right coach for that, imo.

Quinn has does his job to an extend but he is still an inexperienced NHL coach and this roster is still very young. I did not expect the Rangers to be guaranteed a playoff spot this year, and felt they have come out where I expected, right on the bubble of a playoff spot, and several games above .500.

I think people are overreacting and getting upset over a team that has made progress especially with their young players.

See, we don't know this. Give him the right roster and then we can make this determination (and maybe even not on the first try - see Trotz).

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
so fans love a passive team cause I don't. most teams down 2-0 would try to change momentum with a fight or a big hit or a big something to get the crowd into the game. fans can tell when the team is not trying and or gave up. they rather take their vacations than play some playoff hockey. the players know they would get embarrassed in the playoffs. so why make even make it. im guessing that is their mentality

I just want them to take risks and play aggressive when losing. We were just passive, like we had the lead. No forecheck, just let them come at us and we will collapse in front of the goalie.

then try to chip the puck up the boards.

no creativity, not fire, no taking the body. Just slowly move the puck out of the zone and chip it into the isles zone so we can change lines. Then maybe one player will fake some pressure.

quinn’s “system” is a joke. And for cripes sake take the body once in a while. Instead of stick checks, just take the body into the boards. Too many times we would try to go around the isles player and get a stick on the puck instead of driving the isle player into the boards.

and we never won a board battle because of that.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
a majority of the team last night didnt hustle. Especially the vets. Ive noticed they like to stand wand wait for the puck to come to them. This gives the isles time to close in and keep their forecheck up.

we need to go to the puck and keep moving. Cant slow things down against a team like the isles.

we were out worked and out hustled all night.

The top 2 lines were especially bad at this. The kids and 4th line actually played decently.

our dmen also like to wait for the puck on the walls.

To much waiting. Gotta keep the legs moving. Isles just keep moving and keep pressuring.

also why cant we complete easy passes? We manage to always pass into skates, or elevate over sticks. Heck even when on stick we manage to not receive the pass well.

So, Panarin, Zib, Smith, and Strome didn't hustle?

I disagree.

I think some fans ignore there's another team on the ice bent on trying to stop their opponent. It's like if one of the Rangers fakes out an opposing Dman and scores, it's a great play by the Ranger. If the reverse happens, it's a bad play by the Ranger.

Reactions: will1066

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
What happened to our amazing defensive structure when we couldn't score for shit earlier this year? Martin for HC was the word on the street. Buffalo, NJ, the Isles, they've all had their way through the NZ and in our zone. It was only a matter of Shesty standing on his head for the most part covering the structural warts. Last night the Isles barely had to dump it in, they gained our zone with possession and speed and won like 70%+ of the puck battles, and 1000000% of the faceoffs. Joe kept mentioning too much stick checking, which explains puck battles, but them flying through the NZ time after time speaks to a larger defensive structural issue.

Bring back Knoblauch (kidding....kinda)

Check the Hartford thread. Some fans are saying the same stuff about him as the fans here are saying about Quinn. Odd, eh?

Reactions: romba

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Yeah, professional athletes are dogging it because you're upset. If you are right, they should all be traded, right?

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
So, Panarin, Zib, Smith, and Strome didn't hustle?

I disagree.

I think some fans ignore there's another team on the ice bent on trying to stop their opponent. It's like if one of the Rangers fakes out an opposing Dman and scores, it's a great play by the Ranger. If the reverse happens, it's a bad play by the Ranger.

Yeah, solid point. You can't remove the Islanders from the equation. They're the better team. I think if anything the Rangers played a passive/reactive game, again, against a far more aggressive team that they just didn't have an answer for. The limitations in the roster (and/or maybe the coach) leaves them with not much proactive game against a team like this. This is a .500 hockey club. We're the best of the mediocre to bad teams. And that's about it.

Reactions: romba and chosen

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Fat Cat Syndrome! We've seen it for too many years in our history.

Also, with Kreider out, we had ZERO net front presence. No one else is willing to plant himself in the dirty areas of the ice. Last night was a glaring example.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
See, we don't know this. Give him the right roster and then we can make this determination (and maybe even not on the first try - see Trotz).
He has the right roster. Don’t give this clown a say in the roster construction going forward.

Reactions: CLW

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Time and time again, whether its the Isles or Canes last year. Two teams that thrive and dare you to pass east/west in the zone and our vets consistently refuse to simplify their game. The crux of the argument is people will blame Quinn for this but he has stated multiple times this is their problem, east/west doesn't work vs Trotz's system. Yet here we are time and time again and Panarin, Strome, Ziba, Buch, etc keep trying the same old "pass though 4 sticks" and pass up simple plays. When we beat the isles we straight up grinded and crashed the net. Either the vets "get it" or they need a different voice to say the same exact thing.

Reactions: will1066

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah, solid point. You can't remove the Islanders from the equation. They're the better team. I think if anything the Rangers played a passive/reactive game, again, against a far more aggressive team that they just didn't have an answer for. The limitations in the roster (and/or maybe the coach) leaves them with not much proactive game against a team like this. This is a .500 hockey club. We're the best of the mediocre to bad teams. And that's about it.

I believe adding the Swedish Dman and the natural progression of the kids put them in the playoffs next season, but they still need a center and a 4th line similar to the Islanders.

Reactions: Shadowtron

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Fat Cat Syndrome! We've seen it for too many years in our history.

Also, with Kreider out, we had ZERO net front presence. No one else is willing to plant himself in the dirty areas of the ice. Last night was a glaring example.

that is on the players not willing to get their nose dirty other than cocaine. it is a big issue here with this team, no battle or grit to score those ugly goals. they count too. they don't get extra points for pretty goals. do the players understand this or they got hit in the head too many times to remember this??

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Q IS the guy for this team. Unfortunately Panthers had to go and have a season so that dream is dead. Unless of course we work a little behind the back magic and Q wants back in on the original 6 action….

Of course I’m not serious. BUT STILL.
I thought you wanted Quinn gone?
Oh, you meant the BIG "Q".

I'M so done with that letter.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Good God ... I fell asleep and didn't catch the game, which looks to have been a good thing apparently.

But holy whiny f*** you guys, this GDT is hard on the eyes and the soul ... perfect to read through at work.

I hope the Rangers players don't read this GDT ... we don't deserve them.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
E0L7PeRXsAE8B6L

I f***ing hate Libor Hajek
More proof that Smith is better than Fox.

I know you are making pun to the analytics. Haha.
Then again, people said I was nuts for suggesting Smitty for the award that was given to Fox.

My thinking was "spread the wealth", as Foxy will surely win the Norris this year. :help:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I regret staying up until 3am while away in the UK to watch that game.

I tuned in for the third, and it was ridiculous how easily the Isles were shoving past our players. We were basically trying to hit them and just bounced off. They kept their legs moving throughout. They were moving and passing the puck like we weren’t even on the ice.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Not going to reply to individual comments, but here are my observations:

1. We'd be a playoff team if these COVID divisions didn't exist. We got screwed over playing in the best division, which not only forced us to play against tougher opponents but also set the bar higher for points to get into the dance. What would the mood be in here if we were sitting in a playoff spot in each of the other 3 divisions?

2. Our poor start doomed us in a shortened season. Asking an incredibly young team to play absolutely flawless hockey for weeks on end was never a recipe for success. Had the team started better, every loss wouldn't be so magnified. Are we a playoff team with the additional 30 games? I think we are.

3. Speaking of the poor start, we had a lot of weird shit happen this year. Zib catches COVID and takes months to get back to form. Panarin has a political hit put out against him and misses a significant stretch of games. ADA beats up our backup goaltender and is banned from the team. I realize bumps in the road are part of a season, but its hard to see this replicating next year.

4. The kids developed tremendously. Laf is looking elite. KK dominates play and just needs to learn to start finishing more consistently. Chytil has a lot of hiccups but seems to be getting back to his start of the season quality. Miller, Fox, etc. There's a lot to look forward to.

As I've said before, if we miss the playoffs next season, it will be a bust. The strides made this year were significant and have set us up for long-term success. It is going to be an extremely importan off-season as Gorton, JD & Quinn need to bring in veterans to complement our young up and comers, especially on D. Chara was a good idea last year and I hope they're focused on buidling out that 4th line with quality vets and our 3rd pair, which needs a complete overhaul.

Reactions: egelband

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wish I could tell you. In my opinion it is probably a combination of a number of factors including coaching, mental strength, inexperience and youth etc.

I don't think it had anything to do with effort. The Islanders get a 1 goal lead and smother you and every team that deals with this looks similar. It's not surprising a young team like the Rangers struggles with this.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Now you've done it. lol. I really don't know what to make of him to be honest, yes he's been great defensively, and he's been improved on the walls, no question about that. But he's basically a non-factor off the rush which might limit his offensive potential, especially on a team like the Rangers when offense off the rush and going east-west is their bread and butter.
So, this is the problem. If Panarin is our known BREAD, this off season we just have to find out who is going to be our BUTTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad