GDT: Game # 51 Rangers vs Islanders - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Sullivan was high on their list.

I'd be surprised if Brind'amour isn't on their radar, though I think he stays in Carolina or goes to Seattle.

The sad thing is I think Coach Q would be a perfect fit here.
Q IS the guy for this team. Unfortunately Panthers had to go and have a season so that dream is dead. Unless of course we work a little behind the back magic and Q wants back in on the original 6 action….

Of course I’m not serious. BUT STILL.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I like Quinn, however, I feel like he has taken this team as far as he can. This is very impressive for a first-time head coach with just a college resume. I also think Quinn has a future as an NHL coach. It just might be time to move on from this particular group.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I tend to agree with a lot of what you post. And I agree that nobody should be giving up or getting down on guys like Laf and Kakko, and that they both showed improvement this season. But I have to ask, as I just don't get it--how are people with the team happy with the production rates of Kakko and Laf? They are historically low bad, and it's unlikely that either player breaks 25 points on the season (which would make two seasons in a row for Kakko). Were they legitimately expecting those guys to have that minor a contribution re: scoring? I didn't expect either to be putting up 60+ points or anything wild like that, but I did expect them to at least be pushing towards 35-40. There's no concern at all with the low scoring?

Well, for starters they’re looking at p/60 at ES, powerplay time and other factors.

For example, after 48 games Laf’s p/60 at ES was 1.63 - ahead of Tavares, Stamkos and Hughes, not far behind Nugent-Hopkins and MacKinnon. After his first 15 games (slightly more time than a normal training camp and preseason), that number actually jumps to 2.23.

So that’s just one example of how a team might look beyond a straight stat line comparison that doesn’t take into account certain factors and variables. There are other things they look at, but that’s probably the easiest to type at 1 am.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
tenor.gif

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for that. I keep thinking of those couple/3 goals where his hands/talent really showed through. That breakaway, back the other way one handed, then there was another where he made an unbelievable and seemingly VERY experienced goal score could only score.....sorry, memory fails me though, cant be more specific. Anyway, surely he will become more sure of himself. Like......been there, done that more often.
Yup muscle memory

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Obviously, I have concerns for this team and specifically the coaching in that this team has gotten suplexed in the big games it has had. Maybe it's my memory, but I can't remember them coming up big in any big game.

Also of concern, however, is Igor. While he has had some stellar performances thrown in, he too has had a few flat big games. I do seem to recall his not having a good series in his last KHL playoff series. I even think he was replaced.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Management certainly knows what they're missing now if they didn't already. Tenacity and grit has to be the right kind so this off season will be the first for Gorton on major decisions with big contracts raises coming. They got schooled against Carolina and vowed to be harder to play against but this season, minus Fast, Lemieux (ya, ya), and DeAngelo (Ya, ya), they are now softer and more chiffon than we could have ever imagined. Then you subtract Smith this off season.

There's not a ton of money to make a real impact on upgrading grit. Unless we move Strome out for a more physical center even if the value isn't great, we'd only be sprinkling in a few 20-30 point players in the bottom 6 grinder through FA. Perhaps a coaching change is the cheapest route to take. Can't imagine Quinn would be anywhere other than bottom 25% in terms of a gritty playing style given his college background.

Reactions: ponytrekker

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The Quinn shills unironically believe this. The org has convinced a lot of these fans that developing the first and second overalls into Callahan and Fast style players is a success.

If you know of anyone here that thinks develeoping Laf into Callahan and/or Fast is a success, you're a tad detached from reality.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This was a horrendous game in a huge moment. But they’ve beat well coached teams very badly more than a few times. It’s ok to not like the way something goes without blowing it up into some exaggerated disaster

He can't help himself.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I have no problem with Quinn riding the players he thinks will help the team win. But now we are done chasing the playoffs, so give the kids more minutes.
Yes. I am very disappointed with this very underwhelming performance, and in yet another high-profile game in which they HAD TO win.
Vally voiced my thoughts from the point of view of an ex player, to that of a lifelong fan. Stating, that the Rangers blew an opportunity to make each and every one of these last games mean something, which in essence would have been like playoff games.
I will still watch (haven't missed a game in like 5 years), but with less enthusiasm, and Quinn had better play these kids some serious minutes, because there's absolutely no reason NOT to.

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
i find it interesting that Quinn was brought in to be a developmental coach and yet he continues to play the vets failing badly. Last time i checked if you get brought in to do a job and fail at it. You are gone.

Maybe i am just use to the NFL world where the shelf live on players and coaches are minimal.

The shelf life for coaches in the NHL is MUCH LESS than in the NFL.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The thing is that while we can debate how he's using the forwards, and I certainly do not agree with the ice time they are getting, I do think we are developing them and making them better players.

My beef with DQ on the issue is more that I think we're making it harder than it needs to be, or put another way, we're not as efficient as we could be.

I can take the good with the bad on that for DQ. I've never liked the approach of everything bad is the coach's fault and everything good is in spite of him. I think that tends to miss the point that it's somewhere in the middle.

Most people either can't or refuse to see gray.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This is a good post and all more than fair. In your mind, how and when should the expectations ramp?

IMO this team should be (key word) a solid playoff team (i.e. 4-6 in the conference) next year. Yes it takes time for young players to come on line, but I can't help but look at a team like the Leafs who were a borderline playoff team starting in 2016-17 after drafting Matthews and then a solid playoff team starting in 2017-18. Obviously they haven't gotten over the hump in the postseason which we can arguably attribute still at least in to a lack of experience, but they took a big step forward in 2017-18 and kept growing from there.

Arguably the NYR would or should be that bubble playoff team this year under a normal conference setup. My expectation is that they continue to trend positively and grow into a solid playoff team next year with further growth in subsequent years. We can understand that the baking isn't done yet, but there needs to continue to still be progression. And as much as tonight sucked I think they did progress this year.

the Rangers definitely progressed b/c some kids are developing. To be a playoff team and a successful playoff team they will need to add grit imo. I’m hoping Dallas is in position for a first round showdown with Carolina. I think we’ll recognize how far behind the Rangers are in the physical dept.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Also, maybe we should just not be an east-west rush team seeing as we drafted two golden geese and neither of them skate particularly well.

Like, the Rangers know they can change the system, right?

It's more important that they become better skaters and I have little doubt that Laf will improve tremendously in that area. Lindgren has improved a lot in that area.

To me, the biggest problem facing the Rangers is not enough team speed in a speed league. The skill level will be as good as anyone.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I still can't get over the fact that in a game this important, DQ decided out of the clear blue sky to throw a Hajek-shaped grenade at the best defenseman in the league.

The issue isn't who plays with Hajek. It's that Hajek is the best we have to fill out the lineup.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If that was the logic, I would be fine with it, but you just know it was "Libor adds grit and we need somebody steady to play with our offense guy."

More likely the logic was where can we hide Hajek and hope for the best.

Libor adds grit?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Welp, that was a f***ing terrible day. And then getting shutout to top it all off was like come the f*** on.
Really was. Felt like I had the shit kicked out of me in recovering from 2nd covid shot, and the only thing that kept me going, was the "possible" excitement of last nights game. Jeez, I felt like the Rangers played. Wasn't good to say the least.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Last year in 70 games the rangers lost 11 games by 3 goals or more. Thats 15.7%. This year so far after 51 games they have lost 8 games by 3 or more. That's 15.6%.
Ok? Cool

how is this relevant? our defense was terrible last season. What’s your point? Two different teams tied arbitrarily to a stat? because we lost by “3 goals” at the same frequency, that means our Effort was the same? No.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Pretty telling when your top players show nothing in games against your biggest local rival AND the team you have the best chance to catch.

Playoff atmosphere? Not to this group.

This team is done.

Or they got beat by a team that right now is just better than they are.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When I say we can't beat well coached teams, I'm not talking in absolutes. I'm talking about consistently. 'You are what you consistently do', what does that make us?

The best game of our season was against Boston imo, late February. We actually hit people, played with an edge and urgency from puck drop. Just because we did it one game does not mean we are that team.

It's frustrating because they've shown they can play at a higher level. Effort and urgency is non-negotiable... The vets and coaching staff have let us down this season.

Better teams tend to win.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Right, like I would be fine having a globetrotters center who puts up points, whether that's Strome or Zibanejad, but we need a guy somewhere down the middle who does the traditional stuff. Good at entries and shuts lines down.

Hopefully, management acquires that guy because I don't think he exists in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad