GDT: Game # 51 Rangers vs Islanders - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Which is why I’m nervous that the management thinks this is ok. This has been DQs problem since he got here - he’s been trying to make the playoffs every year.

Coaches always try to win in every sport.

If management is telling him otherwise and he's not following their orders he'll be canned before next season. If he's still here, management will have had no big problem with the way he coached.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's an outlier. We were prepared that game and we were willing. Why? If we knew, wouldn't it be a common occurrence? Ok, say Quinn had the team ready to go that game.... what then? How many games were we the counter opposite? unprepared, soft and flat? Why hasn't it happened again? This season, or really since covid, the team has played completely different compared to 2019. We used to be relentless and aggressive. We are no longer that. We used to have a forecheck... How did we get to this point?

We made Boston look like that... Just as a lot of teams have returned that favor onto us. If we could consistently played to that level, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

When there's a good coach, it's noticeable. Our defense, for the most part, is well coached. In 2019 was the defense considered good? Were they doing all the little things necessary to succeed? Were we praising their active sticks, positioning and how they blocked shots? Against well structured teams, our offense is hindered. We do not do the 'little things' that are fundamentally necessary for success. Just as we did not do 'the little things' on defense in 2019, I do not believe the offense is doing 'the little things' in 2021. That is my point.

I do not believe Quinn has the team prepared and/or puts the team in the best position to succeed. I agree with a lot of what Quinn says but it contradicts reality. Talk is cheap. No matter the 'reason', it reflects poorly on Quinn. He's not in control. There's no buying in.

Teams that don't buy in, don't try. This team tries but isn't good enough, yet.

Specifically, which players aren't buying in and how do you determine it?

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
define a while. One year? I think he’s here for a year

I expect the team to take a major step forward next season, no matter who the coach is. If it's Quinn, it guarantees him another year, but in the NHL, one bad season can torpedo any coach. Everything is year-to-year.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I expect the team to take a major step forward next season, no matter who the coach is. If it's Quinn, it guarantees him another year, but in the NHL, one bad season can torpedo any coach. Everything is year-to-year.

i think the Rangers will be at times a dynamic offensive team for a full schedule yet will be a quick playoff exit unless they add grit.

I think the coach gets a year. Highly doubt he’s long term meaning 3 years.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
i think the Rangers will be at times a dynamic offensive team for a full schedule yet will be a quick playoff exit unless they add grit.

If Quinn is here longer than next year, it's because he had an epiphany and learned/grew into being a good NHL x's o's coach. It's possible but not with Brown and Oliver behind him. He needs NHL experience to help him on everything offense.

The entire coaching staff was for developing. Ok, good. Is it possible to get a coaching staff that can do both? Is that too much to ask for the richest team in the league?

I will manifest it into existence. Rob Brind'Amour.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

If Quinn makes it to next season, I believe that will put him past the average tenure of an NHL coach.

If management thinks the team has a chance to win it come playoff time next season, they'll most likely add grit. That seems to be the way the league works.

I still think they need to get a couple more fast players.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If Quinn is here longer than next year, it's because he had an epiphany and learned/grew into being a good NHL x's o's coach. It's possible but not with Brown and Oliver behind him. He needs NHL experience to help him on everything offense.

The entire coaching staff was for developing. Ok, good. Is it possible to get a coaching staff that can do both? Is that too much to ask for the richest team in the league?

I will manifest it into existence. Rob Brind'Amour.

Brind'Amour is being extended in Carolina.

How do you determine x's o's coaching ability by watching on television?

Lundqvist replacing Hajek and the natural progression of the kids will make the team look much better next season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Now, once and for all
sit then trade excess vets
ideally Strome for 1st/+ -- SEA [later and protected] or other
ideally Buch for 1st + = CAR 2022 1st + Drury

play kids as per bern suggested lines

Prep for next season
Kakko-Krav-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

IF we can go only 2 yrs term, no more, no nmc
THEN Danault 2 yrs at 7.25 per which looks like $ he takes.

Move Zib to RW [where have we heard that before?].

Kreider - Danault - Zib

Danault, active Gauthier will lend more jam

then 4th line
Cuylie - Barron - Gettinger

spares: Blackwell, Rooney

LD
KAM
move Lindgren who I love but sell high, get ahead of cap
replace w/Robertson for toughness
give mins to Jones, whether we keep or deal, he can't go down to the A.

Reunanen = relief LD unless dealt

RD
Fox
Nils L
Trouba
play Schneider in the A to max his mins,
following season
split time Schneid + Trouba give JT a signal he will be moved, maybe he relents a little early if we work hard to accommodate this preferred choice of relocation

Shesty
lean deal Geo and give his mins to emerging, but flexible there

important we max our situation
Krav at C
do not waste Gauthier
etc

therefore
fire Quinn

lean to deal Zib at TDL
take futures, be patient, draft well
don't force opportunity not there but seize it when it appears

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think all of this is pretty close to something I would say.

I might even argue that in a normal, 82 game season, we probably even slip into the playoffs - flaws and all.

To me, this year was the transition. Next year was the year where the expectation really does become the playoffs. I was told that this year was more about progress for the youngsters and not having them backslide.

For the most part, I really do think we've seen that. Fox progressed. Chytil progressed. Lindgren progressed. Shesterkin is the number one goalie. Miller stepped in. Kakko looks like a much better player. Lafreniere is coming into his own.

We can debate usage, and ice time, and combinations, and other factors. There's a lot of stuff worth debating there.

But, by and large, the feedback I've gotten is that this pretty much what the Rangers were hoping to see from their younger guys. Outside the organization the feedback has been that the Rangers have to be happy with how much more good than their bad there is with their young talent.

Now, that's not all on Quinn. But it's also not all without him either. So there's that give and take component.

You keep hearing me say that DQ probably makes it to next season, but lasting beyond that is going to be difficult. I think a big part of that is because the expectations start to shift next season and will certainly be different the year after that. I also think that the coach after Quinn is going to have a different roster and a different age group than what we see now. So the personality is going to shift at some point, I just don't know if it will have the desired impact now.

The key here is the Quinn has met expectations set given the roster provided in each season since he became the head coach. Obviously the expectations will be higher next year but I won't project at this point that Quinn will fail and therefore replaced. We need to remember that Quinn also came in as a rookie NHL head coach and, similar to prospects, has been getting better at what he's doing compared to prior years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I tend to feel like if we put every team in the division into a March Madness style tournament with one and done rounds, the Islanders would be the worst possible match up for us.

I think style and roster wise, we have the lowest odds of success against them compared to the Pens, Caps, and Bruins.

The Rangers wouldn't be the only team that would struggle against this style and this roster the Rangers faced last night. Though losing Lee is a huge blow to them if the expectation are to come out of the division.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gotta kick away the crutches first.

Because if I see Blackwell getting 19 minutes or the fourth line starting a game again I'm going to throw something at my TV.

And this one is less than a year old, so I really don't feel like shelling out money for a new one.

Specific to the 4th line - I might be wrong but I thought by putting our 4th line to start against Isles' Quinn simply tried to create a more favorable line matching elsewhere.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If Quinn makes it to next season, I believe that will put him past the average tenure of an NHL coach.

If management thinks the team has a chance to win it come playoff time next season, they'll most likely add grit. That seems to be the way the league works.

I still think they need to get a couple more fast players.

oh yeah, despite the talented forwards they appear to all cruise at the same MPH. Can make it a bit easier for opponents to defend. A few faster skaters can open up the ice.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Rangers legs dont move. They also just play too mich east west against the isles.

U need to keep lmoving and keep attacking against them.

give credit to the isles. They hustle their ass off. We dont.

and i hatw our fall back and collapse system. We never pressure the puck carrier.

Reactions: mas0764

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I tend to feel like if we put every team in the division into a March Madness style tournament with one and done rounds, the Islanders would be the worst possible match up for us.

I think style and roster wise, we have the lowest odds of success against them compared to the Pens, Caps, and Bruins.

I feel like with this year's versions of the Rangers and Isles, the styles are so diametrically opposed that one side tends to dominate and the Isles are much, much better at executing their style than we are. They are by far the last team I would want this team to face in a playoff series.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Quinn was brought in to develop the kids and let them progress. We are seeing that with most of the kids who are making progress and taking steps forward, but when the time comes for them to be a playoff team he is not the right coach for that, imo.

Quinn has does his job to an extend but he is still an inexperienced NHL coach and this roster is still very young. I did not expect the Rangers to be guaranteed a playoff spot this year, and felt they have come out where I expected, right on the bubble of a playoff spot, and several games above .500.

I think people are overreacting and getting upset over a team that has made progress especially with their young players.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's been mentioned before and I know it's an extremely small sample size spread out over time but it's gotta be somewhat concerning that this team has played some "big" games against good opponents with playoff implications or what were basically playoff games between the bubble, last Tuesday, and tonight and they've essentially been squashed in every one with their biggest guns MIA. It's 5 games so maybe it just happens to be a coincidence but they were flat in every single one. Is it the team being unprepared? Style of play that doesn't lend itself to games where the space disappears? Effort? I've got no idea but at the least, I was looking for some pushback in any of these games mentioned and there was zero of it across the board.
Yes. Hugely disappointed in the lack of spirit. Aside from a couple guys, like Smith. He has really stepped it up this year.

(Admittedly it seems like he kicks some butt in contract years...)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thats as clear as day, but its not even competitive hockey from the most important players at the most important juncture.

I personally cannot waive that off

I feel torn on this issue.

A bit part of me wants to see our top guns rise to the occasion in big games, and we have guys who cast doubt on that ability.

But there's also a part of me that thinks that while we wish most loses look better, they typically don't. That's kind of why you lose the game in the first place.

Sometimes you have those really competitive, heart-breaking games you lose 3-2 or 2-1. But more often than not, even really good teams often look bad in losses. As you work your way down from the top of the standings, the losses often (but not always) look worse.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thats as clear as day, but its not even competitive hockey from the most important players at the most important juncture.

I personally cannot waive that off

What do you suggest?

Should we trade Fox, Panarin, Zib, Laf etc,.?

Those are our best players.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Rangers legs dont move. They also just play too mich east west against the isles.

U need to keep lmoving and keep attacking against them.

give credit to the isles. They hustle their ass off. We dont.

and i hatw our fall back and collapse system. We never pressure the puck carrier.

Which players didn't hustle?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
What happened to our amazing defensive structure when we couldn't score for shit earlier this year? Martin for HC was the word on the street. Buffalo, NJ, the Isles, they've all had their way through the NZ and in our zone. It was only a matter of Shesty standing on his head for the most part covering the structural warts. Last night the Isles barely had to dump it in, they gained our zone with possession and speed and won like 70%+ of the puck battles, and 1000000% of the faceoffs. Joe kept mentioning too much stick checking, which explains puck battles, but them flying through the NZ time after time speaks to a larger defensive structural issue.

Bring back Knoblauch (kidding....kinda)

Reactions: RangersFan1994
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad