Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - BRUINS 5 Leafs 2 F - ENJOY VACATION GUYS

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I`ll disagree that the NHL doesn`t want fighting, I think they long ago rid themselves of the BS staged fight crap and the linesmen step in far more now than they once did. What I do appreciate is those refs stepping in when it is clear a fight has gone wrong for someone to try and protect them a bit once they are in a vulnerable situation

Issue now is, most of the CHL players are playing under punitive rules where if you drop the mitts a ton, you are done for some games so the majority of these kids once they get to the NHL are awful fighters, zero structure in their forms, usually just wild haymakers. I`m guessing fighting in the USHL isn`t permitted, NCAA players don`t do it, not sure what European junior leagues are like but I suspect it`s hardly donnybrooks every night there, most of the kids entering the league now have never dropped the mitts once and it shows in the scraps

Guy`s who came in, say even 10 years ago are likely better fundamental scrappers cuz they did it more prior to arriving in the NHL

I think Frederic isn`t a particularly good fighter, if and when he stand in vs someone who is disciplined and doesn`t just toss haymakers, he`s gonna get popped and popped good. I don`t think Wilson is a good fighter, both are big and strong but if they ever went up against our old buddy Neely, they`d be drinking their meals for weeks

For some of us older fans here, we remember the Probert`s, Neely`s and many others who played in an age where most teams had 4-5 guys who not only could chuck them but were more than receptive to doing so at the drop of the hat and could stand in there and take punch to the jaw

Now, speaking of popping someone, Bunting and Zegras are two of my least favorite players, always yapping, never standing in there and actually dropping the mitties
They are looking to force full face masks/cages soon.
That will be the end of fighting.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

There's Berkshire!

1675368273947.png

Bs1011

May 27, 2019
They are looking to force full face masks/cages soon.
That will be the end of fighting.
I watched hockey as a kid 80s 90s. I really hate fighting in the NHL today. It’s not the same the visor etc. Non fighters jumping a player because he threw a clean hit. It’s awful. Who is even considered a heavyweight or the best fighters in the league now. I can’t even name 5. I wouldn’t ban it sh@ t happens during the game but you might as well say it’s banned.

Hawgood_38

Season Tix since '97
Sep 3, 2002
Pumping tires
Visit site
The wife and I are down in FLA at my parents. Took in Saturday's game (and were down here for the first Panthers game as well, both losses), but did see them win in Columbus in October. Only 4 away arenas left on the bucket list to see them play.

Much needed win last night. Get some rest and come back for a strong 1/2 half.

Going to our first All Star game (and Skills Competition) this weekend (obviously). When are they going to have it back in Boston?

Last edited:

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Matt Murray is hurt. He's done some good things in the playoffs.

Jake Muzzin has only played 4 games this season. He's probably their best defender.
Yup. They are a better team by a lot when fully healthy. Muezzin is a physical force.
Having said that, I still think we have the better more rounded team. Also good to see the B’s take it to them last night.

Reactions: hrdpuk

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
On the Leafs broadcast, after the Bunting incident, they showed a replay of Bunting drawing a penalty against the Blues where he throws his head back, though there was no contact to the head. Craig Simpson said this why there was no call on Carlo. Cry wolf too much, you won't get any calls.

Could you ever imagine NESN doing something similar to a Bruins player?
I was thinking the same thing. The leaf’s broadcast was actually very “non-biased” if you ask me. The non call on Marchand when Buntjng had a step in him was pretty blatant. The broadcasters basically blamed Buntjng for creating a bad name for himself.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I was thinking the same thing. The leaf’s broadcast was actually very “non-biased” if you ask me. The non call on Marchand when Buntjng had a step in him was pretty blatant. The broadcasters basically blamed Buntjng for creating a bad name for himself.
I guess that is a matter of opinion about the non-biased part. They said Krejci sold a trip, which he didn't, and it was definitely biased on the goaltending until they sounded stupid. They said the Leafs should cause a collision into Ullmark too. Lots of biased stuff, but that is just my opinion.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Greer scores a great goal and the comments are about a fight he lost to a has been

Greer used poor judgement accepting that challenge. He just scored a nice goal and needs to stay on the ice and contribute to the team--not head to the penalty box for a useless 5 minute penalty.

Both players involved in a staged fight like that should be given a game misconduct.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Great B’s win especially against those clowns…awesome team effort and thought Greer really didn’t take as much damage as many are claiming…yeah his head was speed bagged but most if not all of those shots were to the side/back of his helmet hurt Simmonds hand more than Greer….and just to clarify Joe Bowan (Leafs telecast) , Greers knees did not buckle from the first Simmonds shot, rather Greer stepped on a glove and lost his balance at the exact time as the shot landed….anyways, love beating the Make Beliefs where it matters most.
Multiple reasons to like this post, but the best is the appropriate use of Make BeLeafs (I altered to what I'm going to steal from this! :laugh: )

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Hmmm, Reverse Retro … who to go with.

McAvoy
Ullmark
Lindholm

I’m really thinking Lindholm for my Krampus Lindholm idea for Halloween or Christmas next year.
I wanted Ullmark, but they didn’t have him or McAvoy so my wife got me Pasta.

Not sure if they have more options now.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Watching the replay of Greers goal, the Maple Leaf player was hacking the heck out of
Greers hands, even got his stick caught in his gloves, right in front of the net, and no penalty.
I know Greer scored, but the Ref's arm wasn't up or going up.

Wrong.

I guess that is a matter of opinion about the non-biased part. They said Krejci sold a trip, which he didn't, and it was definitely biased on the goaltending until they sounded stupid. They said the Leafs should cause a collision into Ullmark too. Lots of biased stuff, but that is just my opinion.

Krejci absolutely took a dive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad