Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - BRUINS 5 Leafs 2 F - ENJOY VACATION GUYS

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
That's definitely true about Simmonds but IMO if AJ knew more about fighting techniques he could have at least protected himself better than he did.
That first shot that landed effectively ended the fight. Greer was out on his feet.

“Hockey fighting” is very different from any other kind of combat. One hand is almost always tied up and you’re wearing helmets with visors that you’re not allowed to take off.

I love(d) fighting in hockey. But with all the bullshit that comes with it, it’s a wonder anyone does it anymore. Which, of course, is what the NHL wants. Steve Dangle made a great point in today’s video, actually. The sport of hockey is amazing. The NHL is an awful league.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Well let me tell u. First hand. Saw it live. Greer got smashed. That punch rocked him. I’m surprised he was still standing. I’m not even sure what he was thinking. Everyone knows Simmonds is a heavy weight Scarborough boy. Greer was no match. I’m pretty sure only foglino can hold his own against simmonds currently.

Carlo was their best player imo. Absolute force tonight.
I thought Greer got nailed but at least he stood in there.I know there was a few here a few weeks back saying he was a spot picker.He put that to rest we can agree on that regardless of outcome. And Carlo had a really solid game.Not nitpicking but Marner goal he got backed in on goalie pretty well.Play like that your better off forcing that pass but anyhow its hindsight now Marner is wicked smart.Big win.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The server says we told the cook you are from Boston....
😗

View attachment 645017

See, I’d have some fun with that.

Call the restaurant today, demand to speak to the general manager or owner. Tell them you thought that the comment was in jest but you have been deathly ill with food poisoning, you’re heading to the hospital and need to tell the doctors what was done to your food so they can treat it correctly. Then see what happens.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
After that first shot landed, I don't think he knew where he was.

Scored an amazing goal, though. I'd focus more on that if I were him. There's no shame in scoring goals in the NHL.
It stunned him so he turned away but that's not smart now he can't defend himself. Lucky he was not really hurt like broken jaw or something.

8Neely8

Jul 3, 2009
I thought Greer got nailed but at least he stood in there.I know there was a few here a few weeks back saying he was a spot picker.He put that to rest we can agree on that regardless of outcome. And Carlo had a really solid game.Not nitpicking but Marner goal he got backed in on goalie pretty well.Play like that your better off forcing that pass but anyhow its hindsight now Marner is wicked smart.Big win.
See thread #89….Greer was not affected by the first shot…

Reactions: hrdpuk

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
so when you're not a goal scorer, you might not get any respect. Watching the Canadian broadcast last night, the play by play guy says "Derek Forbort scores short handed, his second of the year." Then the color guy thinks its his second goal of the year, the studio at intermission everyone says Carlo and Forbort both just scored their second goal of the year, etc. No one bothered to realize it was actually Forbort's second shorthanded goal of the year, and his fourth overall. They probably still don't realize this today!! Ha!
Plus,they do not see how man goals Forbort prevents the other team from scoring. I would bet it is many.

Almanil

Nov 18, 2017
The stream was poor quality but on the bright side Bruins played good game, so that is an exchange I am willing to make.
I was quite scared for Greer, I'd rather see him focusing on offense.

Reactions: hrdpuk

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Matt Murray is hurt. He's done some good things in the playoffs.

Jake Muzzin has only played 4 games this season. He's probably their best defender.
But Muzzin has been injured since the traded for him and the leafs haven’t addressed the hole. But they have been winning. I would assume they will not get the key power plays during the playoffs similar to last night.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That first shot that landed effectively ended the fight. Greer was out on his feet.

“Hockey fighting” is very different from any other kind of combat. One hand is almost always tied up and you’re wearing helmets with visors that you’re not allowed to take off.

I love(d) fighting in hockey. But with all the bullshit that comes with it, it’s a wonder anyone does it anymore. Which, of course, is what the NHL wants. Steve Dangle made a great point in today’s video, actually. The sport of hockey is amazing. The NHL is an awful league.
I`ll disagree that the NHL doesn`t want fighting, I think they long ago rid themselves of the BS staged fight crap and the linesmen step in far more now than they once did. What I do appreciate is those refs stepping in when it is clear a fight has gone wrong for someone to try and protect them a bit once they are in a vulnerable situation

Issue now is, most of the CHL players are playing under punitive rules where if you drop the mitts a ton, you are done for some games so the majority of these kids once they get to the NHL are awful fighters, zero structure in their forms, usually just wild haymakers. I`m guessing fighting in the USHL isn`t permitted, NCAA players don`t do it, not sure what European junior leagues are like but I suspect it`s hardly donnybrooks every night there, most of the kids entering the league now have never dropped the mitts once and it shows in the scraps

Guy`s who came in, say even 10 years ago are likely better fundamental scrappers cuz they did it more prior to arriving in the NHL

I think Frederic isn`t a particularly good fighter, if and when he stand in vs someone who is disciplined and doesn`t just toss haymakers, he`s gonna get popped and popped good. I don`t think Wilson is a good fighter, both are big and strong but if they ever went up against our old buddy Neely, they`d be drinking their meals for weeks

For some of us older fans here, we remember the Probert`s, Neely`s and many others who played in an age where most teams had 4-5 guys who not only could chuck them but were more than receptive to doing so at the drop of the hat and could stand in there and take punch to the jaw

Now, speaking of popping someone, Bunting and Zegras are two of my least favorite players, always yapping, never standing in there and actually dropping the mitties

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I absolutely support fighting resulting from play. Staged fighting, which that was, is irrelevant. Greer never should have obliged, but the linesmen should have jumped in immediately when it was clear he was done. Bruins are fortunate he returned.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
See, I’d have some fun with that.

Call the restaurant today, demand to speak to the general manager or owner. Tell them you thought that the comment was in jest but you have been deathly ill with food poisoning, you’re heading to the hospital and need to tell the doctors what was done to your food so they can treat it correctly. Then see what happens.
Note to self: Don't piss Kate08 off

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Here's the old nursery rhyme:
View attachment 644990
I love when the Canadian media complains about the refs. They showed highlights of that play than of da Broons' goals.

Last week or so Montreal allegedly got a couple of bad calls, and their media were calling for new procedures to hold officials to be held more accountable.

I'm sure they made similar demands after Bob Myers handed Montreal Game 7 in 1979, right? He called penalties in the third period on Ratelle and Redmond! Can you image Ratelle getting a penalty? How about after Dave Jackson handed Montreal Game 7 in 2014?

I didn't think so.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Steve Dangle made a great point in today’s video, actually. The sport of hockey is amazing. The NHL is an awful league.
Thus the reason I have the header on my profile.
Without a doubt, the stupidest league there is.
Incredible sport, horrible league .

Fighting use to mean something (I guess) now it's a joke.
A guy can throw a beautiful clean body check and suddenly he has to fight somebody. Idiotic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad