Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - BRUINS 5 Leafs 2 F - ENJOY VACATION GUYS

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I tried trying to find a clip of the ref far behind the play with his arm up but I only found 2 clips on YT of his goal and neither of them showed it. I believe you though.
I didn't see the ref behind the play, but I don't believe the one in the corner, near the play had his arm up.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I didn't see the ref behind the play, but I don't believe the one in the corner, near the play had his arm up.
Nah the one right there in the corner didn't and one of the two clips I watched you can (at least me with my eyes) barely see the ref in the background but it was impossible to tell if his arm was up or not.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Greer used poor judgement accepting that challenge. He just scored a nice goal and needs to stay on the ice and contribute to the team--not head to the penalty box for a useless 5 minute penalty.

Both players involved in a staged fight like that should be given a game misconduct.
A guy like Greer shouldn't be on the ice right after scoring a goal.
Top 6 guys like Marchand, Hall or DeBrusk? Absolutely so hopefully Montgomery realizes that next time it happens.

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
I’ve been thinking more about this with Bedard being the prize this year. Rather than having the worst teams choose at the beginning of the draft, why not have the teams that are closest to making the playoffs choose first? So the non-playoff team with the most points would get the first overall pick as a reward for actually trying to win. Would that not eliminate tanking and make the games involving non-playoff teams more competitive? Idk, maybe I’m missing an obvious reason why it wouldn’t work...

• Love
Reactions: Kegs and BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A guy like Greer shouldn't be on the ice right after scoring a goal.
Top 6 guys like Marchand, Hall or DeBrusk? Absolutely so hopefully Montgomery realizes that next time it happens.
I don’t understand. Not allowed to have the fourth line on the ice after a goal? Happens all the time especially after a PP Goal.

Reactions: sooshii

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I
I don’t understand. Not allowed to have the fourth line on the ice after a goal? Happens all the time especially after a PP Goal.
Come on man do I need to write you a letter? How many PP goals have the Bruins scored w\o one of those 3LW on the ice?

I'm talking about Greer scoring the goal.

I

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I

Come on man do I need to write you a letter? How many PP goals have the Bruins scored w\o one of those 3LW on the ice?

I'm talking about Greer scoring the goal.

I
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you meant the Bruins not Greer specifically.

So yes draw me a picture of why AJ Greer shouldn’t be on the ice after scoring a goal.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you meant the Bruins not Greer specifically.

So yes draw me a picture of why AJ Greer shouldn’t be on the ice after scoring a goal.
Simmons was on the ice for one reason to draw a fight and give the Leafs some life which he did ,so maybe Greer shouldn’t have been out there ,to line up with him ,so kind of get his point ,but like I said Simmons was out there solely to fight ,so really other than putting a line on the ice that he wouldn’t have someone to fight him ,not sure what the coach was going to do ,personally at that point in the game if Greer had pointed at the score clock and laughed at him and just skated away I would have been perfectly fine with it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For exactly what happened Wednesday night. Your 4th line types especially are prone to being goaded just like Greer was.

I have no problem with elite or high end players like Marchand or Hall
staying out there.

So exactly how did that have an effect on the game?

Greer wants to go, he pays the price. Didn't hurt the team at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I
So how exactly how did that have an effect on the game?

Greer wants to go, he pays the price. Didn't hurt the team at all.

I thought momentum shifted after the fight. Lots of comments criticizing Greer for obliging Simmonds in last nights thread. Including people renowned for supporting the knuckle sandwich part of the game, which is pretty funny all by itself.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I’ve been thinking more about this with Bedard being the prize this year. Rather than having the worst teams choose at the beginning of the draft, why not have the teams that are closest to making the playoffs choose first? So the non-playoff team with the most points would get the first overall pick as a reward for actually trying to win. Would that not eliminate tanking and make the games involving non-playoff teams more competitive? Idk, maybe I’m missing an obvious reason why it wouldn’t work...

I like this idea, it makes a lot of sense.

Which is why the NHL will never do it.

Reactions: sooshii

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That would give the top players every year to pretty good team and not really help the worst teams at all.

Not good for parity.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I

I thought momentum shifted after the fight. Lots of comments criticizing Greer for obliging Simmonds in last nights thread. Including people renowned for supporting the knuckle sandwich part of the game, which is pretty funny all by itself.
Lol. It’s true. I would never take the fighting out of the game. And I also think Greer accepting that fight was brave as hell. Brave is also foolish tho. That’s all. Poor Greers brain. I’m not mad at him or anything. I just think it was a mistake for his health and well being. He is no match for simmonds. Simmonds is a fighting machine. There isn’t a lot of guys left in the nhl that can fight simmonds. I appreciate the effort tho. And he definitely didn’t hurt the team by fighting him. He also gave the home crowd something to cheer about. Leaf fans loved it.

Ps I’ve always been a fan of Wayne simmonds. Guys easy to route for.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
While a noble idea, I think that would encourage a different kind of tanking where bubble teams shank games at the end of the season to get that spot. It also discourages trading as those teams wouldn't want to improve to go on a futile run. Plus, who would want to trade a 1st pick if they are 7/8th and risk dropping out of the playoffs?

I think the best solution is to expand upon what they just implemented with teams that win the lottery ineligible to win it the next year.

I think it should be all three picks. If you get the first overall, you can't pick top three for three seasons, 2nd overall it's two seasons. And if you get the 3rd pick, you can't pick in the top three the next year. This could be nullified if you make the playoffs. That makes it so the most any one team could do is tank for one season in a row, and even so, it would be different teams doing it year after year, so more of the league roster turnover at trade deadline, instead of poaching from the same teams year after year.

Sure, these teams could still tank and get the 4th pick subsequent years, but generational players really are only available with the top two picks.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lol. It’s true. I would never take the fighting out of the game. And I also think Greer accepting that fight was brave as hell. Brave is also foolish tho. That’s all. Poor Greers brain. I’m not mad at him or anything. I just think it was a mistake for his health and well being. He is no match for simmonds. Simmonds is a fighting machine. There isn’t a lot of guys left in the nhl that can fight simmonds. I appreciate the effort tho. And he definitely didn’t hurt the team by fighting him. He also gave the home crowd something to cheer about. Leaf fans loved it.

Ps I’ve always been a fan of Wayne simmonds. Guys easy to route for.
I' m not trying to be melodramatic here but Greer was in trouble
right away. He managed to keep his head far enough away but exposed his back of his head to the point if Simmonds tagged him there as hard as the first shot there was coma potential there.

I was shocked the linesmen didn't intervene immediately.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I' m not trying to be melodramatic here but Greer was in trouble
right away. He managed to keep his head far enough away but exposed his back of his head to the point if Simmonds tagged him there as hard as the first shot there was coma potential there.

I was shocked the linesmen didn't intervene immediately.

Coma potential? Lolol

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Greer and Bs fans should be thanking Simmonds for not doing further damage. He connected early to Greer's head. He knew he hurt him. Could have sent him to bed with that last uppercut but went chest then fell on top to end it.

Simmonds fights differently against lesser opponents -- more showy. Watch some old fights of Simmonds against better fighters -- Kevan Miller, Wilson, etc. He's far more technical, more compact with his punches, and is putting his legs into his punches more. Knows he can get hurt against those guys, so he fights accordingly.

Can't stress enough what a stand-up guy Simmonds is. All he wanted against Greer was a show fight to give his team a burst. If he genuinely wanted to hurt Greer it would have been ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad