Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - BRUINS 5 Leafs 2 F - ENJOY VACATION GUYS

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Simmons was on the ice for one reason to draw a fight and give the Leafs some life which he did ,so maybe Greer shouldn’t have been out there ,to line up with him ,so kind of get his point ,but like I said Simmons was out there solely to fight ,so really other than putting a line on the ice that he wouldn’t have someone to fight him ,not sure what the coach was going to do ,personally at that point in the game if Greer had pointed at the score clock and laughed at him and just skated away I would have been perfectly fine with it.
Leafs had last change, so Monty didn't have the luxury of seeing Simmonds out there and pulling that line. That said, Greer didn't need to oblige Simmonds.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
While a noble idea, I think that would encourage a different kind of tanking where bubble teams shank games at the end of the season to get that spot. It also discourages trading as those teams wouldn't want to improve to go on a futile run. Plus, who would want to trade a 1st pick if they are 7/8th and risk dropping out of the playoffs?

I think the best solution is to expand upon what they just implemented with teams that win the lottery ineligible to win it the next year.

I think it should be all three picks. If you get the first overall, you can't pick top three for three seasons, 2nd overall it's two seasons. And if you get the 3rd pick, you can't pick in the top three the next year. This could be nullified if you make the playoffs. That makes it so the most any one team could do is tank for one season in a row, and even so, it would be different teams doing it year after year, so more of the league roster turnover at trade deadline, instead of poaching from the same teams year after year.

Sure, these teams could still tank and get the 4th pick subsequent years, but generational players really are only available with the top two picks.
This is an interesting idea, and warrants consideration. Still, the league is gonna find a way to have a closed door lottery and Pittsburgh will have won the first pick and Bedard.

Reactions: TD Charlie and BMC

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I'd snake the non playoff teams.

1st pick of the second round goes to the best team to not make the playoffs.
100% random selection would be fun for good teams. Would make the trade deadline extra fun.

This is an interesting idea, and warrants consideration. Still, the league is gonna find a way to have a closed door lottery and Pittsburgh will have won the first pick and Bedard.
No way. It’s Pheonix. Bettman picks the balls right? :sarcasm:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Leafs had last change, so Monty didn't have the luxury of seeing Simmonds out there and pulling that line. That said, Greer didn't need to oblige Simmonds.
Yeah kind of my point it was a bad time to fight ,and I’m sure Simmons was going to try and get someone to fight if not a forward a defenceman.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah kind of my point it was a bad time to fight ,and I’m sure Simmons was going to try and get someone to fight if not a forward a defenceman.
Yeah, he acknowledged after that it wasn't a great decision, but that he had some adrenaline going after the goal, and when Simmonds asked, he just said sure. Greer's a competitor, so I'm not surprised though.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I love when the Canadian media complains about the refs. They showed highlights of that play than of da Broons' goals.

Last week or so Montreal allegedly got a couple of bad calls, and their media were calling for new procedures to hold officials to be held more accountable.

I'm sure they made similar demands after Bob Myers handed Montreal Game 7 in 1979, right? He called penalties in the third period on Ratelle and Redmond! Can you image Ratelle getting a penalty? How about after Dave Jackson handed Montreal Game 7 in 2014?

I didn't think so.
Middleton one I remember got them within 1.And Ricky was way better then Guy Carbonneau .Sorry everytime I think of Ricky I think of that guy in Hall with his career high 27 goals.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Greer and Bs fans should be thanking Simmonds for not doing further damage. He connected early to Greer's head. He knew he hurt him. Could have sent him to bed with that last uppercut but went chest then fell on top to end it.

Simmonds fights differently against lesser opponents -- more showy. Watch some old fights of Simmonds against better fighters -- Kevan Miller, Wilson, etc. He's far more technical, more compact with his punches, and is putting his legs into his punches more. Knows he can get hurt against those guys, so he fights accordingly.

Can't stress enough what a stand-up guy Simmonds is. All he wanted against Greer was a show fight to give his team a burst. If he genuinely wanted to hurt Greer it would have been ugly.
He is all class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad