GDT: Game #5: New Jersey Devils at Boston Bruins, 7pm, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He played with that line for 5 minutes tonight . If thats 1/3rd of the game I am really bad at math

He played a little under 15 minutes tonight, so year, a third of his night was played with those guys. Even if he was playing 20 minutes a night, it would still be 1/4 of his night.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Also playing with garbage teammates though.

Was Kovy on the ice for the Bruins goal tonight? He's really gotten quiet these last few games.. which sucks because we need him to produce, especially with Henrique out.

Yes he was. Almost 5 games without a goal against with 25 minutes TOI. Streak is over.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Josefson with below average scoring skills would be a top 6 center easily. A world class skater, good playmaker with elite defense. But he can't score and maybe never will.

It's a little soon to get so down on him. He is creating chances, and making good plays. Sooner or later they will start to go in.

Josefson is getting close to those scoring chances. There was a young Devil last season that had a TON of scoring chances before he broke out and starting capitalizing on them also. He turned out pretty well.

Josefson also seems to me more like a playmaker then a finisher, a guy who will get 10 goals but have 30 assists.

And that's what I'm expecting from him. It's clear he's more of a distributor than a finisher. Very good vision and passing ability, but a relatively weak shot.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Doesn't help that he's playing with the fourth line. You try being a plus player skating with Janssen.

Or getting points.

Hmm so this logic is only applicable when discussing Josefson, but not Tedenby? One would think Josefson with his "elite" defensive skill would be able to somewhat compensate.

And btw, it's ******** using the 4th line excuse for him. He plays 17 minutes a game. Janssen plays 5.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Or getting points.

Hmm so this logic is only applicable when discussing Josefson, but not Tedenby? One would think Josefson with his "elite" defensive skill would be able to somewhat compensate.

And btw, it's ******** using the 4th line excuse for him. He plays 17 minutes a game. Janssen plays 5.

Tedenby sucks both ways... Josefson only sucks going forward :naughty:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Josefson gets chances on the top unit too so that would be something to consider.

I don't have an issue with his game yet really. Yes he has made some bad turnovers but this team was doing that nonstop for 4 games. His offense is what scares me a lot, that and his injury history.

Has to stay healthy and develop a shot. No goalie is going to respect him deking when he can't keep them locked onto his shot. That must come first before trying to put him into a shootout, and that is something he has not shown in his career yet. That is why I don't put him out in the shootout, it is a waste of an opportunity.

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
quote of the night:

@Ledger_NJDevils Hedberg saud he thought object thrown from stands during shootout was half a burger or s big hot dog. "Some food item"

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
As said before I'll take 8 out of 10 points compared to whats going down in Florida, 2 points out of 12

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
In this thread we have Devils fans disparaging an excellent young defensive forward because he isn't scoring at the rate they'd like. What a strange world.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or getting points.

Josefson's other skills are the REASON he's not useless while not scoring, while Tedenby is since he really doesn't have any skill beyond stickwork and speed, which result in no offense. Why do you think YaYo's getting 15 minutes a night while Tedenby barely sees the ice?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Or getting points.

Like I've said, Josefson gets a pass around here because he's responsible defensively. But as I've said before he looks like he would become a John Madden type player, rather than the Elias that everyone is projecting him to be.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They fumbled the puck all night long and basically chased it with Boston having a huge possession advantage.

They got weared down and a horrific line change led to a 3 on 2 which bit em.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Kovalchuk with zero effort tonight, jag off! Green and Zidlicky look aweful. A Train and Tallinder were our best tonight. I wonder if we really have to wait for the 10th game to make a move.......

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Oh, I didnt mean he played on the line for 5 minutes. I saw him start being on that line at around the 7 minute mark of the 3rd. Soo there is no way he got 5 minutes of time from that

Zajac played 14 minutes even strength, Kovy played 17. Matteau played 9. Josefson picked up most of those extra top line minutes and picked up some Kovy minutes on the 4th line, so he probably played somewhere around 4-5 extra minutes with 1 or 2 of the top forwards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Like I've said, Josefson gets a pass around here because he's responsible defensively. But as I've said before he looks like he would become a John Madden type player, rather than the Elias that everyone is projecting him to be.

I'll gladly take another John Madden in his prime. Even he had a better scoring touch than YaYo does :laugh:

Madden did get started much, much later though. YaYo's only 20, Madden was what, 26 in his rookie year?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
In this thread we have Devils fans disparaging an excellent young defensive forward because he isn't scoring at the rate they'd like. What a strange world.

It's not that he isn't scoring (at least for me). It's the fact that some people write him in as a top 6 forward with Patrik Elias-like potential. I haven't seen any of that.

If he was strictly a third-line center asked to play a defensive role with minimal offensive expectations, I have no problem with him.

GM17*

Kovalchuk broke up loads of plays on the backcheck. Even bruins fans took notice, how are people here not?

where'd the Josefson heat come from?

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Reflecting a bit further (or calming down), despite the softies, Hedberg played very well for not being in net since last April. Nice to have reliable backup goaltending.

I consider this a bounce back game given that they cleaned up a lot of the mistakes made in the Montreal game. Know I'm beating a dead horse here, but definitely need more offensive depth. Confident Lou will provide when the time is most opportune.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Kovalchuk broke up loads of plays on the backcheck. Even bruins fans took notice, how are people here not?

where'd the Josefson heat come from?

Yep. Kovy made one mistake which was the Bruins goal. Overall he played pretty well defensively, but wasnt great on offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad