GDT: GAME #5: LEAFS @ WINGS | Thurs, Oct 11 @ 7:30PM EST | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, I don't think Dubas is the kind of guy that will fall in love with Connor Brown or Hyman. They are good players when they are paid around 2M but lose their value if they want more than that.

Leafs really need to acquire a good young goalie capable of taking Freddie's spot as well. I don't think he's a part of this team going ahead. Our cap structure won't allow for a goalie making 5M (or more).

It better, because it's not like you can cycle through Stanley Cup caliber goalies every few years like you can wingers.

Right now there is no indication as to why one of Woll or Scott could not be Andersen's successor down the line. It's no guarantee, but neither is any goalie the Leafs could acquire right now. There is also no reason why the Leafs could not just re-sign Andersen for another 3 or 4 years when he is a UFA. He's not playing like he deserves more than around what he's making right now anyways (besides the pro-rate of course), so he could be a Leaf until he's 36 if we need him to be. That's 7 years to hope that one of Scott or Woll can sort themselves out, and they've already entering year 2 or 3 of development with the Leafs as it is. Who knows, maybe even Sparks starts to surprise some people and can force Andersen out?

EDIT: For example, look at the contract Bishop signed right before turning 31. Andersen will be 32 when his deal is up. Bishop did have an off-year in his contract year, but he was 2nd for the Vezina the year before, put up a season that Andersen typically puts up the year before that, and was 3rd in Vezina the year before that. In the year between his epic years, he took a two-year bridge for ~6 mill per season. He ended up with a 6 year deal at just under 5 mill two offseasons ago. Unless Andersen has a meteoric rise in performance, he shouldn't be making any more than the 7% of cap he's making now on a 3 or 4 year deal when he's a UFA in three years. Since he would be pretty old and would probably rather have some term over dollar amount, he may even take a cut in percentage. Bishop took a rather large one for term. Let's say by some chance that means the cap is going to be 90 mill, he's still only making 6.3 mill a year after the pro-rate for 7% of the cap.

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I didn't wanna make a new thread about this but I was very impressed with Goat/Leivo last night on the 4th line.

I thought Goat was solid for us last year too, despite what the metrics say- your not doing much playing with blackholes like Moore.

It provides a very unique element having two guys that are basically linebackers out there on the forecheck and on the puck. Both are great on loose pucks/1 on 1 battles, and GOAT obviously has the face-off acumen.

I'm not sure how we'd slot him in for now, especially when Nylander comes back but he deserves a shot to win the job outright....plus we do desperately need a big body presence peppered throughout the lineup.

They are 4th liners. That's why they don't look to shabby on that line.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Being a Leaf fan in Michigan I will be there tonight. Both teams kinda suck at playing defense. The Wings have injuries there already. i think it will be another track meet. Matthews hat trick J.T. held to only one goal. Leafs Roll!!!!!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
GAMEDAY: Maple Leafs at Red Wings
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAMEDAY: Maple Leafs at Red Wings

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at DETROIT RED WINGS
7:30 p.m., Little Caesars Arena, TSN, TSN Radio 1050
BIG MATCHUP
Kasperi Kapanen vs. Justin Abdelkader

If Detroit coach Jeff Blashill keeps Justin Abdelkader on the top line with Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha, Kasperi Kapanen’s speed on the right side could give him an upper hand on the veteran Abdelkader, though it won’t be easy. Abdelkader likes to play a heavy game and will be as important as Kapanen on the forecheck. Kapanen has demonstrated quickly some chemistry with Auston Matthews and Patrick Marleau.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
  1. Auston all the time
Is Auston Matthews capable of continuing his offensive outburst? In short, yes, and not only because there’s nothing, apparently, that can stop him. In seven career games against Detroit, Matthews has seven goals. Against only the Montreal Canadiens (nine goals in eight games) and the Ottawa Senators (eight goals in nine games) has Matthews scored more.
  1. Heads up
Morgan Rielly always has been an above-average cerebral player going back to his junior days with Moose Jaw, and now the Leafs defenceman is putting it on full display with the options Toronto has at forward. Five of Rielly’s 10 points have come on the power play, and five at even-strength. His ability to move the puck will be key against a Wings team that will try to bring pressure.
  1. A desire to kill
Playing under control and with the right level of aggressiveness is key on any penalty kill, but for the Wings, it’s paramount. The Leafs’ first power-play unit was expected to be deadly and it has been that. “(Mitch) Marner is an elite power-play player, one of the best in the league,” Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. “Matthews is an elite player, (John) Tavares is an elite player. Just a lot of really good there.”
  1. Youth will be stirred
The Leafs were effective in Dallas for several reasons, among them the tenacity on the forecheck. A similar approach in Detroit should work, considering the inexperience of Wings defencemen Joe Hicketts, Libor Sulak and Filip Hronek, who have played in a total of 13 NHL games. Establish a dominating cycle game, and Toronto could have its way in the offensive zone.
  1. Kronwall returns
Now that Henrik Zetterberg no longer is playing, the Wings’ greybeard contingent has decreased. Thursday will mark the season debut of 37-year-old defenceman Niklas Kronwall, who had been dealing with a lower-body injury. Kronwall’s sage advice? “Toronto has much talent,” Kronwall said. “It’s fun to watch. Hopefully, we do a good job with the five-man units trying to shut them down. Can’t do it one-on-one.”
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW

Patrick Marleau-Auston Matthews-Kasperi Kapanen
Zach Hyman-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Par Lindholm-Nazem Kadri-Connor Brown
Josh Leivo-Frederik Gauthier-Tyler Ennis
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Igor Ozhiganov
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
RED WINGS LINES
LW-C-RW

Justin Abdelkader-Dylan Larkin-Anthony Mantha
Gustav Nyquist-Andreas Athanasiou-Thomas Vanek
Tyler Bertuzzi-Frans Nielsen-Michael Rasmussen
Darren Helm-Christopher Ehn-Luke Glendening
Defence pairs
Danny DeKeyser-Filip Hronek
Libor Sulak-Joe Hicketts
Niklas Kronwall-Nick Jensen
Goaltenders
Jimmy Howard
Jonathan Bernier
INJURIES
Red Wings —
D Trevor Daley (upper body), D Jonathan Ericsson (upper body), D Mike Green (infection), F Evgeny Svechnikov (undisclosed), D Dennis Cholowski (upper body).
Maple Leafs — None.
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play

Red Wings: 33.3% (8th)
Maple Leafs: 50% (3rd)
Penalty kill
Red Wings: 91.7% (7th)
Maple Leafs: 90% (9th)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Ask me in 5 games.
I'm honestly not sure why you even watch the games if you hate the team so much.

There are 30 other teams you can watch if you'd like. I'm sure their fans would love to have your pessimistic attitude on their boards. We don't really want it here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm honestly not sure why you even watch the games if you hate the team so much.

Isn't the goal to win the Stanley Cup ?

or do you just like a lotta goals in the regular season and lose in the first round ?

We have a tough 5 game schedule. It could easily be 4-1 or 1-4.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Isn't the goal to win the Stanley Cup ?

or do you just like a lotta goals in the regular season and lose in the first round ?

We have a tough 5 game schedule. It could easily be 4-1 or 1-4.
This is a GDT.

Common knowledge is that if you have negativity to spew, you don't do it here.

Reactions: stickty111

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Things are looking good so far.

Our offense is the best in the league and special teams are solid.

The only big negative so far has been goaltending which has made the defense look worse than it has been. (All the defensive data for our team shows it has performed around average for the league)

I'm hoping Anderson rounds into form soon. He isn't the only keeper who has struggled so far though. MAF, Rask, Murray and Jones have all had rough starts to the year too.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Hopefully we get goals from other than Matthews and Tavares tonight.

Some big games coming up after this one and we need the whole team to have the confidence to score once the opposition tries and slow down AM and JT

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Will Tavares get an assist this game or will he continue to be a selfish snake?

I’ll be disappointed if Matthews doesn’t score 2 goals. He should be good for 100 goals this season. Minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad