Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Lets Go Boys!

4 more from Matty and Tavares EACH
7 more assists from Captain Morgan
A BUNCH OF STUFF from Marner

In all honesty, Im kind of worried about this one... It would be so leaflike to lose against a team like the Wings... BUT ENOUGH OF THAT

7-2 LEAFS

Reactions: NiftyMits and 7even

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wings are faster team this year and harder to play against. I see a 5-5 game going to shoot out. Matty with another, Tavares another and Leivo gets on the scoresheet. Things will tighten up by XMas. But for now enjoy the free for all pond hockey games.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I didn't wanna make a new thread about this but I was very impressed with Goat/Leivo last night on the 4th line.

I thought Goat was solid for us last year too, despite what the metrics say- your not doing much playing with blackholes like Moore.

It provides a very unique element having two guys that are basically linebackers out there on the forecheck and on the puck. Both are great on loose pucks/1 on 1 battles, and GOAT obviously has the face-off acumen.

I'm not sure how we'd slot him in for now, especially when Nylander comes back but he deserves a shot to win the job outright....plus we do desperately need a big body presence peppered throughout the lineup.

Reactions: Lauro and Atrusai

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
I'm not sure how we'd slot him in for now, especially when Nylander comes back but he deserves a shot to win the job outright....plus we do desperately need a big body presence peppered throughout the lineup.

This 100%. Even if he's less effective offensively, we need someone to keep the opposition from taking liberties out there.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Trap game. I hope it isn't. But it feels like a trap game.

I feel like this one will be a blowout win without giving up too many goals. Detroit is terrible top to bottom. If we play like we played against the Sens, we'll win this one easily.

Every game this year feels so exciting to watch because when Matthews isn't on the ice, Tavares is, and when he isn't on the ice, Kadri is on the ice (slow start but with shit wingers).

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
I didn't wanna make a new thread about this but I was very impressed with Goat/Leivo last night on the 4th line.

I thought Goat was solid for us last year too, despite what the metrics say- your not doing much playing with blackholes like Moore.

It provides a very unique element having two guys that are basically linebackers out there on the forecheck and on the puck. Both are great on loose pucks/1 on 1 battles, and GOAT obviously has the face-off acumen.

I agree. 100%

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know Ray isn't exactly a huge Leaf fan but this is a really stupid take:

I bet if any other team signed Tavares he would be singing their praises.

If Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, and pretty much every other team that recently won the Cup made it work while paying their stars heavily compared to the rest of the roster, the Leafs will make it work as well. They don't pay Pridham, Laurence etc to sit around and do nothing.

What option did the Leafs have if they don't sign Tavares? You need a second line. Sign Bozak at 5M and JvR at 7M? No thanks.

You don't say no to talent like Tavares. Islanders were willing to pay McDavid money and SJ was rumored to go up to 13.5M if all Tavares wanted was money.

I am very happy with throwing talent like Hainsey, Polak, Komarov, Martin, Carrick, even Connor Brown, Hyman, Kapenen etc overboard for a talent like Tavares. Have we not seen what Tavares has done without much talent around him?

He and Marner can make cheap talent look great around them. The forwards that are important to this team are Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Tavares and Nylander. Everyone else can go.

On the D, it's Rielly and Dermott because he's cost controlled for a long time + our top ELC prospects (Lilly, Sandin etc).

One key thing Ferraro is forgetting is that the Leafs single-handedly can raise the cap by going further in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
As much as I want Johnsson to get going this season (and I believe he will ultimately be the one that jumpstarts Kadri), I'd keep the lineup the exact same as it was the in Dallas - very complete effort, all 4 lines looked good, and the 4th line wasn't a liability.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

If Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, and pretty much every other team that recently won the Cup made it work while paying their stars heavily compared to the rest of the roster, the Leafs will make it work as well. They don't pay Pridham, Laurence etc to sit around and do nothing.

What option did the Leafs have if they don't sign Tavares? You need a second line. Sign Bozak at 5M and JvR at 7M? No thanks.

You don't say no to talent like Tavares. Islanders were willing to pay McDavid money and SJ was rumored to go up to 13.5M if all Tavares wanted was money.

I am very happy with throwing talent like Hainsey, Polak, Komarov, Martin, Carrick, even Connor Brown, Hyman, Kapenen etc overboard for a talent like Tavares. Have we not seen what Tavares has done without much talent around him?

He and Marner can make cheap talent look great around them. The forwards that are important to this team are Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Tavares and Nylander. Everyone else can go.

On the D, it's Rielly and Dermott because he's cost controlled for a long time + our top ELC prospects (Lilly, Sandin etc).

One key thing Ferraro is forgetting is that the Leafs single-handedly can raise the cap by going further in the playoffs.

Ferraro is a very good example of someone who doesn’t know how cap works and someone that doesn’t have an an intellectual foresight.

Also he has been getting some twitter interest since he started tweeting about the Leafs and realized negative teeets about the leafs get him more attention.

Ignore what he says

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Just once I would like to see the Leafs pull the goalie in the offensive zone off of an icing in a period other than the 3rd, and not necessarily while they're trailing.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Making the road trip for this one, pretty excited. Going to see Mathews, Marner and JT live for the first time :clap:

However, my watching live record is pretty bad, something like 5-15-0. Lets chalk that up to the last decade being questionable.

Reactions: PromisedLand

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
people always seem to forget that marleau and horton are coming off the books eventually... and potentially even sooner than expected due to potential trades

leafs will have a single year of tight to the cap, then everything gets loosened up. if the cap rises due to seattle and new TV deal, then they're laughing.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't want to go crazy into it, but yeah the Leafs will be fine. They've got to figure out their cap and budget things out. So does every team with great players. The media wants a team tight to the cap right now to harp about? How about Detroit? I'd much rather be tight to the cap with the guys we have then right up against the cap with the guys they have.

For this game I just want to see us scoring a lot and winning. At this point that's all I'm really after.

Reactions: Schooner

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Like every other fan base on here, Wings fans are pinning their hopes on the salary cap to screw us over. Let's smoke these jokers and help them with their tank. They should be praying they have the same issue four years from now.

He's certainly playing to his audience in Vancouver. :rolleyes: If Pettersen, Boeser, and Horvat become what they hope, plus they add Hughes, they'll have the same "issue" themselves.

Newsflash folks, not hitting on your first round picks is not a good thing. We could've been the Islanders and f***ed up multiple top 5 picks after they drafted Tavares and had no cap issues, but look where they're at now.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I really like Ferraro and this he's pretty smart, so I'm hoping he's just playing to the Vancouver audience here.

About the cap, I'll admit it is a tough road ahead. But as long as Dubas drafts well and doesn't pay Connor Brown/Zach Hyman, we're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->