GDT: GAME #5: LEAFS @ WINGS | Thurs, Oct 11 @ 7:30PM EST | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
It hasn't even been that bad. We've had 2 games where our goaltenders couldn't stop a beach ball out of 4. For all the fuss about our defence on paper, some teams with so called great defenceman have been just as bad if not worst.

Oh it’s definitely been bad. Poor positioning and decision making combined with early season struggles for Freddie and Sparks have seen a ridiculous amount of goals against in just four games.

It will normalize though. If I remember correctly, Leafs teams under Pat Quinn were almost always .500 until about mid November when they started playing to their potential.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
4 games in, our worst statistical performer on the top two lines is Hyman at 3 assists.
Matthews, Marner and Tavares all on fire.

Allrighty then boys, here's hoping for a win obviously, but one where we see Kadri get off the schnide and pot a goal in there.

This has to be the new Leafs mentality right here that we have to start laying down . . . a culture of 'killer instinct'. Screw this whole trap game thing, just go real hard and give these kids in Detroit a beatdown.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
People that want to neuter offense for the sake of winning 2-1 or 3-2 are funny, when you have a strength that's most likely the best in the league, you should exploit that strength. Team defense will improve as the season goes along, even Andersen is notorious for being terrible this month getting his legs going. Golden State has an amazing offense, they don't decide to ignore that and play grind out basketball trying to win games 90-89...they'll put up 130 on you and force you to keep up and if you can't, you lose. Their defense came over time as well, the Leafs need an upgrade on Hainsey (nothing major) for that top pairing but I have trust come the TDL it'll come.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
People that want to neuter offense for the sake of winning 2-1 or 3-2 are funny, when you have a strength that's most likely the best in the league, you should exploit that strength. Team defense will improve as the season goes along, even Andersen is notorious for being terrible this month getting his legs going. Golden State has an amazing offense, they don't decide to ignore that and play grind out basketball trying to win games 90-89...they'll put up 130 on you and force you to keep up and if you can't, you lose. Their defense came over time as well, the Leafs need an upgrade on Hainsey (nothing major) for that top pairing but I have trust come the TDL it'll come.
I agree. I also remember last season when Babcock tried to implement a more defensive / conservative game structure, the games became more dry and low scoring and everybody was complaining about that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree. I also remember last season when Babcock tried to implement a more defensive / conservative game structure, the games became more dry and low scoring and everybody was complaining about that.

It had to be done though. They need to find a balance pretty much. The pond hockey leads to burn out and injury 100% of the time. Then when you go against solid D you get beat on and get knocked out. Works for some not for others.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Gunna go 5-2, feels great to have a team where every game is winnable because of our talent and firepower.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Dermott on the right side again. One day maybe we'll see a heavily used Rielly-Dermott pairing.

Reactions: Lauro

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We could use a nice 2-1 win.

Man i hope the Leafs aren't reading the press reports right now. They'll think they are the 80's Oilers.

This. Because the leafs signed Tavares 11mil a year in order to take advantage of how good he is at his most talked about skill: playing the trap game.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Isn't the goal to win the Stanley Cup ?

or do you just like a lotta goals in the regular season and lose in the first round ?

We have a tough 5 game schedule. It could easily be 4-1 or 1-4.

With the lines we can roll out there with our 3 outstanding pivots, I'd like to see TB or Boston stop us. This team does not have to be a juggernaut defensively. They just need to be average.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
okay. and i would argue having the ability to win out close games is equally important.
i' rather a team who can do both on a dime, not have to be questioned if they can do one or the other.
it's nice to be able to win close games, but it's better to win games by a bigger score so you don't have to worry about it. I don't think teams even can win close games reliably, as there's a lot of luck involved and it fluctuates a lot year to year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad