GDT: Game 5: Kazakhstan Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | SVK 3 - 1 KAZ

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
we still can manage to not get relegated since other countries are worse.
What countries? you saw how close it was with Kazakhstan. The game could go either way. You lose this one you will face the 5th team from Group B (most likely Germany) You lose to them, you go down.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Since Swiss had a tough time with them as well I cannot see such a great evidence to be relevant
Swiss dominated possession, Slovakia only kinda sorta managed to take over it when Kazakhs started to run on fumes in the 3rd. Shots were 24-23 today. Let that sink in.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think so. I believe it was just a refs' mistake back then.
I remember Ray Ferraro (former Nhler and now TSN commentator), said in that game, that it’s not a penalty unless the refs feel it’s a serious injury.
That’s SO frustrating then that they didnt call that back then.
Czechs fully deserved to win that game. Mrazek was so good that tourney.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This is definitely a sentiment I can agree with. They time Slovakia will be going down to 1A is approaching. There was a thread about how Slovak hockey is recovering, well, it isn't.

My thread. It depends on your definiton of "recovering". It's not on it's way back to the golden era they had with their players born in the 70's, but things are looking a bit better than it's done in a while. Like someone mentioned, expectations haven't been high on the 2000 and 2001 groups. My thread was mostly talking about 1997-1999 players, and 2002-2004 born players. What comes after that, is too young to gague.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I remember Ray Ferraro (former Nhler and now TSN commentator), said in that game, that it’s not a penalty unless the refs feel it’s a serious injury.
That’s SO frustrating then that they didnt call that back then.
Czechs fully deserved to win that game. Mrazek was so good that tourney.

I don't know who were the refs but I remember the Czech TV commentators used to follow IIHF events were completely outraged back then, since they were 100% sure this is a high stick according to the IIHF rulebook. Maybe the refs were accustomed to the NHL rulebook and didn't realize there is a difference?

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Swiss dominated possession, Slovakia only kinda sorta managed to take over it when Kazakhs started to run on fumes in the 3rd. Shots were 24-23 today. Let that sink in.
Swiss also gave up 3 goals, we gave up 1. Let’s wait to see the actual game. It’s a tournament, anything can happen. As we say yesterday the Czechs beat the “we’re totally not cheating” Russians.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why then did Russia not get a penalty in 2012 QF against Czechs in OT?

Daniel Krejci got high sticked on a follow through shot, dropped to the ice, no whistle, and Russia scored on the same play..

Have the rules changed?
That goal makes my blood boil. We were prime for the upset! Totally robbed! I really enjoyed Daniel krejcis game... Shame he never really materialized

Reactions: czechcanadian

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
You're undefeated with 3 points! Also showed good team D and goaltending. Guaranteed a quarter too!

Yeah. I only watch Slovakia to see Cajkovic and their potential draftees (Hlavaj, Okulinar and Knazko). But this and next year will just be about hanging on in the top division, until the 2004 age group comes along which looks stronger. And with the ugly win against Kazakstan, they survived this year. The young Knazko made some good plays, including a a nice assist. Okulinar scored and Hlavaj had a great game. Cajkovic was up and down but it's obvious that he has some upside.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What countries? you saw how close it was with Kazakhstan. The game could go either way. You lose this one you will face the 5th team from Group B (most likely Germany) You lose to them, you go down.
Actually... That is another big bright side. I was very worried we might get a Czech Slovakia relegation matchup. That is now not happening!

Reactions: stastny12

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
But a Germany - Slovakia or Switzerland relegation round would be interesting. Imagine if Germany was relegated with this generation (not saying it would happen)

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
My thread. It depends on your definiton of "recovering". It's not on it's way back to the golden era they had with their players born in the 70's, but things are looking a bit better than it's done in a while. Like someone mentioned, expectations haven't been high on the 2000 and 2001 groups. My thread was mostly talking about 1997-1999 players, and 2002-2004 born players. What comes after that, is too young to gague.
But it was all considering other countries stay the same. Switzerland having overtaken Slovakia at every level is a foregone conclussion. By the time this junior team turn pro Germans will as well with Draisaitl, Grubauer, Stutzle, Seider, etc. So even if upcoming generations are better how much better are they? Because Belarus is getting much better, Kazakhstan are getting much better, Germany is better than it has ever been.. So even if Slovaks will get better they need to just to stay in the position they are now, if it makes sense.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But a Germany - Slovakia or Switzerland relegation round would be interesting. Imagine if Germany was relegated with this generation
You barely beat Kazakhstan. So odds are Germany will have pretty much as big of a chance to get relegated against Kazakhs as against this Slovak team.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That's not how hockey works
Germans are currently playing pretty equally against USA. Your team just played like absolute ass against Kazakhstan. And yet you are so deep in denial that you can't even register that properly. Because hur dur Slovakia is as good as Germany and whatnot.

Or maybe you just didn't see the game at all.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Germans are currently playing pretty equally against USA. Your team just played like absolute ass against Kazakhstan. And yet you are so deep in denial that you can't even register that properly. Because hur dur Slovakia is as good as Germany and whatnot.

Or maybe you just didn't see the game at all.
You said that the chances of Germany to beat slovakia are the same as to beat Kazakhstan. I am not saying that Slovakia would definitely beat Germany...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You said that the chances of Germany to beat slovakia are the same as to beat Kazakhstan. I am not saying that Slovakia would definitely beat Germany...
Well we have seen two pretty equal teams today, didn't we? And it's not just because Slovaks played bad, there is legitimately not a lot of talent on this team.

Point was neither team is even close to Germans. Kazakhs have 10% chance against them, Slovakia 15%.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Well we have seen two pretty equal teams today, didn't we? And it's not just because Slovaks played bad, there is legitimately not a lot of talent on this team.

Point was neither team is even close to Germans. Kazakhs have 10% chance against them, Slovakia 15%.

You're making too many conclusions from one game. Yes, this generation of Slovaks struggled vs Kazakhs. Few days ago they played an even game with Czechs losing with a goal in the last 2 minutes, then Czechs went on to beat Russians. So I could just as well make a conclusion that Slovaks were just slightly worse than Czechs and could in theory play even vs Russians and hence for certain an edge against Germany. Except this is not how it works, Slovaks were stomped by Russians a few days ago. This is why you can't just make a conclusions from a game that team X will definitely beat team Y, especially if the teams are considered to be on similar level. For me, the odds would be even, or maybe a slight edge to one or the other.

Looking at head to head U20 games from this season, Slovaks met Germany twice, and won on both occasions, albeit this was without North American players.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
But it was all considering other countries stay the same. Switzerland having overtaken Slovakia at every level is a foregone conclussion. By the time this junior team turn pro Germans will as well with Draisaitl, Grubauer, Stutzle, Seider, etc. So even if upcoming generations are better how much better are they? Because Belarus is getting much better, Kazakhstan are getting much better, Germany is better than it has ever been.. So even if Slovaks will get better they need to just to stay in the position they are now, if it makes sense.

I'm not denying that Switzerland and Germany are developing more high-end prospects right now. But looking at quantity, Slovakia is still getting as many players drafted as those two. With a quantity of prospects you're gonna "luck out" eventually.

Aside from Nico Hischier, Switzerland doesn't have a single player drafted in the first three rounds in any of the last four drafts. Germany only a total of seven players selected in the last six drafts. With this quanity, they aren't going to continue developing first, second or even third round picks at a consistant basis.

Erik Cernak is 22 and is on good track to establish himself as top 4 defenseman. Martin Fehervary is 20 and made his NHL debute this season and has top 4 upside. Christian Jaros is 23 and still has NHL potential as a good bottom pairing D. Samuel Knazko is 17 and should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick this summer. Simon Nemec is 15 year old playing against grown ups in Slovakia right now. Daniel Chovaniak is a 16 year old doing well in Luleås U18 team.

Those are all defenseman. The future up front isn't looking as bright, but Maxim Cajkovic, Oliver Okuliar, Adam Liska, Filip Krivosik, Adam Ruzicka, Martin Pospisil and Marian Studienic are 18-20 year old forwards who have potential to become NHL players, albeit just in depth roles. But if they, with their stronger age groups coming in 2004 and possible later, can "luck out" with a star calibre forward, things are going to look much better.

Slovakia is nowhere close to the top six countries in terms of registred hockey players or ice hockey rinks. Their golden generation was developed in Czechoslovakia under communism, when every kid could afford to play. I don't think they should be compared to the "big 6". If they can stay in the 7-9 rank, with 15 or so NHL'ers, that'll be good for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad