GDT: Game 5: Kazakhstan Vs Slovakia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | SVK 3 - 1 KAZ

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kazakhs got killed by having to play 2 nights in a row. 2 equal periods and they just ran out of gas in the 3rd. Feel bad for them but such is life...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It isn't, that's a dodgy call. It's pretty much that the ref decided he had a choice not to follow through as it was a weak swipe at the puck rather than a real shot. Still pretty iffy call.

Follow through is a penalty in IIHF unless they've changed it very very recently

https://iihfstorage.blob.core.windo...ok/iihf_official_rule_book_2018_ih_191114.pdf

143 v. A player who makes contact with any part of an opponent’s upper body while winding up to shoot or while following through on a shot or pass is subject to all penalties for high-sticking.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
Great first two periods, didn't have enough gas in the third (playing back-to-back and rolling 2 lines does that). Got 2 power-plays couldn't convert. Solid effort from the team, no complaints. Relegation game will be tough.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
This WJC the goal for me was just to avoid relegation. I just want to see the 03' and '04 class play in the top division. I think then we will have a chance to be competitive.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This game was so nervous but also passionate on both sides. Both teams put tremendous effort into it, it was very physical, one could actually feel those guys on the ice play with their hearts. Enjoyed it. Of course such games use to be the coaches' nightmare because of all the sloppy plays, turnovers etc.

I agree the problem for Kazakhstan was they rolled two lines over and over, and combined with yesterday's game, they simply ran out of gas in the 3rd. It was obvious they lack depth in their lines, there has been a huge gap in skill between the top 6 forwards/4 D-men and the rest. But still I am rather impressed by how they have been playing so far. Expected them to be a very easy prey to both Switzerland and Slovakia, and they were actually pretty competitive in both games.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Yeah that is not a penalty in iihf rules. I can’t believe they called that. Clear follow through on a shot....
Luckily Kazakhs did not score. The reffing just continues to be so bad in every single game so far.

It is a penalty in IIHF rules: "A player who makes contact with any part of an opponent’s upper body while winding up to shoot or while following through on a shot or pass is subject to all penalties for high-sticking."

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
It is a penalty in IIHF rules: "A player who makes contact with any part of an opponent’s upper body while winding up to shoot or while following through on a shot or pass is subject to all penalties for high-sticking."
Why then did Russia not get a penalty in 2012 QF against Czechs in OT?

Daniel Krejci got high sticked on a follow through shot, dropped to the ice, no whistle, and Russia scored on the same play..

Have the rules changed?

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
This is definitely a sentiment I can agree with. They time Slovakia will be going down to 1A is approaching. There was a thread about how Slovak hockey is recovering, well, it isn't.
Not gonna happen. Even while we have a bad bunch of players (like this year) we still can manage to not get relegated since other countries are worse.

And yes, things are getting better in Slovak hockey but you cannot do any significant visible changes in such a short time...

Well, it wasnt our best performance. Lets face it, we probably wont have better games but I will be dissapointed if we would not win against Swiss. Altough, Im fully satisfied with QF.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Why then did Russia not get a penalty in 2012 QF against Czechs in OT?

Daniel Krejci got high sticked on a follow through shot, dropped to the ice, no whistle, and Russia scored on the same play..

Have the rules changed?

I don't think so. I believe it was just a refs' mistake back then.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not gonna happen. Even while we have a bad bunch of players (like this year) we still can manage to not get relegated since other countries are worse.

And yes, things are getting better in Slovak hockey but you cannot do any significant visible changes in such a short time...
How about you look at that German roster and tell me what do you see. That is a very significant change. It's just a question of time when will out of Denmark/Germany/Latvia/Belarus, 2 of those have a team good enough to challenge and eventually win against Slovaks. Hell, Kazakhs hung in there pretty equally despite this not being their best generation and missing their best player.

If Belarus actually didn't screw up and won the promotion this year, wouldn't you say Belarus', Germany's and Slovakia's rosters would be pretty equal next year? With Stutzle, Seider (possibly), Reichel, Peterka, Kolochyonok, Protas, etc.? Slovaks should stop living in denial. I thought coming few minutes short of relegation at men's level would be enough of a wake up call but evidently it's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad