Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Capitals VS Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I was worried that Kovy and Dillon what not have time to gel with the team because of the pandemic. I was absolutely right.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
BMac has his work cut out for him if we want to return to contending for a cup. I hope this performance was strictly due to poor coaching because if not then our window may be closed.
How is our window closed when no one in the bottom 6 scored a goal! Where is the depth? Also need a good goalie.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
BMac has his work cut out for him if we want to return to contending for a cup. I hope this performance was strictly due to poor coaching because if not then our window may be closed.

As a rule this team struggles coming out of the gate for 20 games plus. After 20 or 30 games, sometimes later, they gel and get going. I think its very possible that the camp to playoffs aspect to this really hurt them

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think we need to find a way to hold onto Dillon, and grab another RD. I'd unload one of Kemp or Siegs and hope Fehver and AA can step up.

Bottom 6 I'm not as worried about. I think we just need a 3rd line winter, and I think Spring could be okay in that roll. Just need a steady/real system to roll with.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Do y'all think the Canes would have been easier?
No. I don't think the Ottawa Senators would have been easier.

I didn't see anything from the Islanders that made me believe they actually can contend. I've parts of probably 90% of the games since the bubble started (holla at teacher life that allowed me to just waste my summer watching hockey) and I think the Islanders are by far the weakest team to move on. Columbus would have put us in a body bag in 4 games. Carolina probably would have gone to 5 or 6, but still would have ran circles around our lackadaisical asses. Montreal is obvious not a push over.

I do think it's Tampa's year in the East, but this Cup is being won by either COL or VGK, they're both absolute wagons.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
How is our window closed when no one in the bottom 6 scored a goal! Where is the depth? Also need a good goalie.
Agreed, this isn't a difficult team to retool. There are issues on the bottom 6 and with a few d-men. I probably would move one of our top 6 guys too. But the frame of the team is still top tier in the NHL.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
No. I don't think the Ottawa Senators would have been easier.

I didn't see anything from the Islanders that made me believe they actually can contend. I've parts of probably 90% of the games since the bubble started (holla at teacher life that allowed me to just waste my summer watching hockey) and I think the Islanders are by far the weakest team to move on. Columbus would have put us in a body bag in 4 games. Carolina probably would have gone to 5 or 6, but still would have ran circles around our lackadaisical asses. Montreal is obvious not a push over.

I do think it's Tampa's year in the East, but this Cup is being won by either COL or VGK, they're both absolute wagons.
VGK winning would kind of suck without a VGK Caps rematch

Reactions: bur and 666 others

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
We got outscores 17-8 by the Islanders. This after struggling against Carolina, with the same core that won a cup. Swapping around bottom 6 does not do that, it’s TR.

We played 9 games since coming back and only won 3, and each by only 1 goal. One of those was an exhibition game. We were playing like crap since New Years. Last season wasn't great either. The roster is good, but we have one of the worst coaching staffs in the league.

Hopefully Ted and our management won't be dumb enough to piss away another season with this core. If TR is here next season, the only thing worth watching will be Ovi's drive to 894.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I think we need to find a way to hold onto Dillon, and grab another RD. I'd unload one of Kemp or Siegs and hope Fehver and AA can step up.

Bottom 6 I'm not as worried about. I think we just need a 3rd line winter, and I think Spring could be okay in that roll. Just need a steady/real system to roll with.
We need to bring youth. The league became young and we are slow to bring youth. Need to stop giving jerseys to dinosaurs

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
When I think of this club in 10 years I'd like to imagine a few things (besides a few more banners).

One, in addition to the obvious number retirements of Ovechkin and Backstrom, and the much delayed ones of Kolzig and Bondra, we see Holtby up there too. If you really dive into his body of work it's hard to not justify his place as one of the GOATs in our organizations history. #74 is still very much so TBD, would need a few more regular seasons like this previous one.

Second, I'd like to imagine #43 with a C on his chest. He's shown growth and maturity as a player, I kind of think he's the perfect type of captain. He has had bad games but i've never seen him look disinterested or not caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad