Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Capitals VS Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
I'll have fun watching Colorado, but I'm right now with Vancouver first for the rest of these playoffs. That team is so fun to watch and it's exciting to think about where they'll be in the future.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
There's a lot to clean up here. Coaching. Old guys. Guys that don't care. Guys who bring almost nothing to the table but make $2.5m and/or are on 3 & 4 year contracts (not to mention $7.8m). Beyond CMM (& Protas?) no real offensive talent in the pipeline.

Time for BMac to earn his $.

Happy to see that Jensen seems to have turned it around.

Was Willy hurt? If memory serves, he was really stung by a shot-block in game 4, and didn't seem to have any interest in hitting tonight.

Reactions: RandyHolt

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well, poor effort.
Holtby's last game as a Cap, wondering where he'll go now. I hope to the west.

Need to retool the bottom 6 for next year.

And yes, the coaching change is needed, not even because TR (or even mostly his assistants are bad) but to give a boost the the players for the next season.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Sprong or CMM could not possibly have been worse than Kovalchuk was in this series.

Also, WTF happened to Vrana? Love him, but he did not show up this series at ALL. In fact, he has ZERO points in his last twelve playoff games (this years’ Isles series and last year vs Carolina).

I’d love to see us inject some youth into the bottom six next year and defensively as well...Dillion and Gudas won’t be back and I’d shop Kempny for whatever we can get for him.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Sprong or CMM could not possibly have been worse than Kovalchuk was in this series.

Also, WTF happened to Vrana? Love him, but he did not show up this series at ALL. In fact, he has ZERO points in his last twelve playoff games (this years’ Isles series and last year vs Carolina).

I’d love to see us inject some youth into the bottom six next year and defensively as well...Dillion and Gudas won’t be back and I’d shop Kempny for whatever we can get for him.

Worth remembering Vrana wasn’t at 2LW full time during the cup run - Burakovsky and Stephenson both spent time there too. The problem this year was there was no one with equivalent talent or ability you could move up there - we’ve practically no scoring depth on the left side after Vrana (Hagelin, Panik, Leipsic pre-COVID... that’s it.). There were no meaningful changes the coaches could make up front that wouldn’t have inserted someone with no NHL experience into the lineup.

Coaching and lack of depth has been an issue two years in a row, and this year has been worse for both than last year. GMBM focussed on keeping his core players - Carlson, Oshie, Eller etc. - but misspent money on guys like Hagelin and Panik instead of finding a way to keep the cheaper depth guys with the ability to step up (Stephenson, Connolly, Burakovsky) when our farm team is pretty bare.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Need to retool the bottom 6 for next year.
Hard to see how you can, though. Dowd is a cheap and useful 4C, and Hathaway brings speed, grit and PKing. There’s no way you’re moving Panik or Hagelin without paying for the privilege, and we won’t have much cap space to work with even with Holtby gone.

Their only hope is to bring in one or two very cheap spark plugs from somewhere - maybe that’s a CMM or Sprong, or maybe an RFA who doesn’t get qualified from another team. But it’s hard to see our lineup changing all that much up front, sadly.

Jarias2311

Feb 2, 2020
The 4th line we saw last night is what we’ll see next season is imagine which isn’t great bc it produced 0 offense after the first 2 months of the year

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
How is that a bad play by Wilson? He doesn't know if the puck is going in before committing to contact. If that puck is stopped by Holtby and bounces around the crease that's a great defensive play. It sucks that he hit the post like he did but that's the risk you get when you drive the net with the defender nearby.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I’m not sure why people are crapping in hagelin. He came here to PK on a poor PK unit and it was the only highlight through the entire series. Yes the offense was zero in the bottom six but that’s not his job. Don’t forget we played most of the series with Eller playing up which really hurt that third line. This roster could have gone deep. We should tweek some stuff but a new voice is what’s needed the most, not replacing 2-3 guys in the bottom 6

Reactions: kicksavedave

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
I’m not sure why people are crapping in hagelin. He came here to PK on a poor PK unit and it was the only highlight through the entire series. Yes the offense was zero in the bottom six but that’s not his job. Don’t forget we played most of the series with Eller playing up which really hurt that third line. This roster could have gone deep. We should tweek some stuff but a new voice is what’s needed the most, not replacing 2-3 guys in the bottom 6

He's good on the PK, but what else? We're paying $2.5 mil for him. About the same as Panik, and what good is he? It's a waste of $.

Reactions: sycamore

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't like to overpay for PKers. First and foremost coaching has a big hand in the PK. Are they being aggressive like we see in the playoffs, or flat footed like we saw in the regular season for decade on end.

More than all that is goaltending. The goalie is the only PKer I want to invest in directly.

That all said I have a feeling we will keep Holtby somehow. Mac somehow gets guys to stay on the cheap.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Trade Backstrom now. Blah Blah Blah his hockey IQ. The guy is our version of Phil Kessel -- his physical conditioning
is an absolute disgrace. Probably eats whatever he wants during the off-season, doesn't give a thought to proper diet and
nutrition. And don't tell me its his age either -- contrast him with OV who's 2 years older and who's conditioning is superb.
Tired of Nick getting by on his past reputation. Trade him and get the youth movement started.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Trade Backstrom now. Blah Blah Blah his hockey IQ. The guy is our version of Phil Kessel -- his physical conditioning
is an absolute disgrace. Probably eats whatever he wants during the off-season, doesn't give a thought to proper diet and
nutrition. And don't tell me its his age either -- contrast him with OV who's 2 years older and who's conditioning is superb.
Tired of Nick getting by on his past reputation. Trade him and get the youth movement started.
ummm what?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Capitals getting bounced by their old coach and goaltender...

That's gotta sting.

Aside from that, Islanders are good... really good... at making high offensive teams look bad.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
They looked really bad last night. Such at contrast to periods 2 and 3 of Game 4. At no point did I feel like they had momentum and were forcing the action and putting pressure on NYI. On the contrary, all I saw were alot of bad passes and the Islanders quickly and easily stifling whatever we tried to do offensively. I'm no hockey expert so I'll just have to hope the guys that are make some better decisions.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say there is less than zero chance of this, as in its a nonsense suggestion. They literally just extended him for 5 more years. That means they want him here. End of discussion really.

If you think that was a mistake, and it appears clearly you do, your opinion is noted, but it is not well shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad