Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Capitals VS Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
VGK winning would kind of suck without a VGK Caps rematch
Why? Are we some sort of epic rivals? We've played like 4 times in the regular season and they were largely yawners.

I kind of got people not wanting VGK to win in year one because the multitude of reasons, but now? They've got a solid team of guys and no real "superstars" which is pretty cool, they play very fun hockey, as a team they've certainly taken their lumps in the playoffs.

If the sole reason to not want them to win is because the fans "didn't earn it" that's dumb. I got my trophy, I'm not gatekeeping other fanbases. Vancouver would be dope, but overall I would much rather a team without a Cup like Van or VGK win than one like Boston or Philly with multiple organizational Cup wins.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
This. CMM starts in Washington next year. AA too.
CMM will be 19 until January which means if we would either have to keep him with us or he'd be back in London until January 15th. This is weirdly where this bastardized season will help us, we conceivably can bring CMM to training camp, have him play exhibition games, send him back to London, recall him to Hershey only a month and a half into the season.

I don't think this is the type of kid you want to healthy scratch for a month and a half, so I think he'll need to legitimately earn a roster spot if we want to see him for those first few weeks.

EDIT:

Wait, a wrinkle in this story. If you've played 4 CHL years regardless you are eligible for NHL/AHL time. So it does appear that CMM can maybe be a Bear next year.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Plus Ovi will has one year left on his contract. A big decision is looming.
What decision is that? We're obviously resigning him, there is literally no point in that Backstrom contract if you don't plan on resigning Ovechkin.

He currently makes $10 million, I can't reasonably see him getting much of a raise, if at all. His career is going to be winding down, and he's already making only $2 million under the highest paid guy in the league who is in his prime (McDavid).

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Still cracking up about the guys giving quotes as if this was like a regular year and they were just too broken down from the 82 games before.

Y'all motherf***ers had longer than a regular off season in between the season and this playoffs, lol STFU. You played 9 games, quit acting like you just went a whole cup run of games after a full season against the '84 Oilers

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
What decision is that? We're obviously resigning him, there is literally no point in that Backstrom contract if you don't plan on resigning Ovechkin.

He currently makes $10 million, I can't reasonably see him getting much of a raise, if at all. His career is going to be winding down, and he's already making only $2 million under the highest paid guy in the league who is in his prime (McDavid).
Obviously I was talking about the terms of the decision, and not whether the decision will be made. This will have a big impact on what's left to get the supporting cast until he retires.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Grant just mentioned we have around 10M in cap space? That can’t be true can it?
Holtby coming off the books he's 6, Gudas is like 2 something, Dillon is like 1.3. So yeah

EDIT: Kind of a lame UFA class IMO, but the cap is flat so you can maybe get some desperate guys in at decent deals if you get term on the contracts

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
the confused, not even pissed look he had on the bench as the game wound down and they showed him staring up at the clock. Not a hint of disappointment.
Did anyone show disappointment? It didn't look like they cared at all in this series.
To be honest. I was less disappointed with them losing this series than usual. I just didn't like this teams chances this entire season.
Even early in the year when we were winning alot of games. Alot of those we didn't deserve to win. So many games this year we got outplayed and won just because we had the better talent.
That formula doesn't work in the playoffs.

Reactions: fniss

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
At the end of the Day only 3 players scored in a 5 game series. OV, Kuznetsov & Oshie.....that's not going to cut it. Coaching aside our bottom 6 isn't effective anymore and is the biggest liability of our team.
The 2nd line was a bigger liability in this series.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm more irked that Pitt will finish with 3 Cups and we might only get 1 during this era.

That's honestly the thing that pisses me off
I couldn’t care less about that. Winning the Cup is hard and there’s no guarantee you get it done, even if you have multiple Hall of Fame guys on your roster. Other teams winning doesn’t diminish my happiness whatsoever.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I'll vote for COL as my fave among teams most likely to succeed. Dark horses with near-zero chances=VAN or MTL. The Price is Right!
I like the Islanders actually because of Trotz and Varly. Then Tampa, simply because I know how it is to be underachievers for so long. Then any other struggling franchise (Vancouver and etc), then .... Vegas, Flyers. Hopefully neither of Vegas and Flyers would win.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Woof.

Barry just got his pupil’s ass fired ... hopefully.

Reirden playing old players who had zero life was very Jay Grudenesque ... if you’ll pardon the cross-sport reference.

It was both chickenshit and very boring to watch.

Not a good combo.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Why? Are we some sort of epic rivals? We've played like 4 times in the regular season and they were largely yawners.

I kind of got people not wanting VGK to win in year one because the multitude of reasons, but now? They've got a solid team of guys and no real "superstars" which is pretty cool, they play very fun hockey, as a team they've certainly taken their lumps in the playoffs.

If the sole reason to not want them to win is because the fans "didn't earn it" that's dumb. I got my trophy, I'm not gatekeeping other fanbases. Vancouver would be dope, but overall I would much rather a team without a Cup like Van or VGK win than one like Boston or Philly with multiple organizational Cup wins.
White gloves in hockey is just wrong. When there’s that one guy every so often in beer league wearing white gloves, more often than not he’s kind of a tool

Reactions: Devil Dancer

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
When I think of this club in 10 years I'd like to imagine a few things (besides a few more banners).

One, in addition to the obvious number retirements of Ovechkin and Backstrom, and the much delayed ones of Kolzig and Bondra, we see Holtby up there too. If you really dive into his body of work it's hard to not justify his place as one of the GOATs in our organizations history. #74 is still very much so TBD, would need a few more regular seasons like this previous one.

Second, I'd like to imagine #43 with a C on his chest. He's shown growth and maturity as a player, I kind of think he's the perfect type of captain. He has had bad games but i've never seen him look disinterested or not caring.
As a general matter, i prefer a center or D as captain, not a winger. But yes he has the heart and confidence for it. He’s a good candidate for sure whenever Ovie retires or gives up the C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad