GDT: Game 5: Bruins @ Coyotes | 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Our defense is the weak link. OEL looks like dog ****. Our forwards have actually been pretty good.

I will say a couple things that aren't exactly why we are losing, but do effect the game. Boston has gotten away with three or four clear cut penalties and I can't think of a reason why that would be. Three hits from behind and an elbow to the head that would usually be called immediately and yet nothing was called in our game. Really **** game by the refs to go along with our ****ty defense. Three of the four goals I don't even expect to be stopped.
The officiating was brutal in every way. Lots of linesmen and refs in the way of pucks and players too. I think it was pretty fair overall, they missed quite a few against the yotes too. It was that classic game where they call almost nothing, then decide one random ticky tack call is just too much. So dumb.

We can't finish to save our f***ing lives. And our positioning in the D zone every so often just kind of goes haywire. It's sad though, because like the Detroit game, I think we had a lot of good moments, and generated chances, we just blew them horrifically and then crapped the bed in our own zone, and also got sub par goal tending.

I think we're looking better for the most part, but we need to put it together and actually score, stop having brainfarts on D, and have our goalie give a solid performance. Seeing improvement is great, but results have to come at some point. It's early and we've had some injuries, but those excuses are starting to wear thin when we're losing by 4 still.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I liked the post game interviews tonight. I think they can dig out but they're going need help. They've got to face a team soon that has a really bad night and we've got to catch a bunch of luck. I think if we can steal just a little momentum it can go a long way. We're wallowing. I bet this team plays well when they're having fun. Nobody is having fun right now. We need some luck.
I can see a lot of truth to this. I can see a scenario where once we get a win the floodgates kind of open ( players start having fun) and we start winning with some regularity. Like when a scorer is going through a cold streak, and just seems snakebit, then once he pots a goal he scores 4. That can't take 20 games to happen though, and we've had great opportunities against a depleted ducks roster, an expansion team on our home opener, a mediocre Detroit team, and a slumping bruins team with their backup in net missing key players.

Hopefully Dallas gifts us a win, because even though some of those east coast teams look beatable if we go on that road trip winless I can see us just fully melting down.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My only problem with the good luck snowball idea is they had that already in Anaheim and blew it. Depleted opponent, early lead.

Maybe it will be different several games later.

Reactions: Yandover

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Me after tonight's game:

robin-crying-drunk-under-desk.gif

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I listened to Tocchet on the radio on the way home. He apologized to the fans for the second period, which he called "chaos". He had no idea why players forgot their assignments and mentioned lack of support when the D pinched.

Tocchet called out OEL by name, said that he has to play better, as well as a number of other unnamed players. He noted that he doesn't understand why some players were "sucking wind" on the bench. He threatened curfews, among other things, and threatened to get new players as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I listened to Tocchet on the radio on the way home. He apologized to the fans for the second period, which he called "chaos". He had no idea why players forgot their assignments and mentioned lack of support when the D pinched.

Tocchet called out OEL by name, said that he has to play better, as well as a number of other unnamed players. He noted that he doesn't understand why some players were "sucking wind" on the bench. He threatened curfews, among other things, and threatened to get new players as well.
Interesting. Do we have party boys?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I really don't know. I also really don't know why the players weren't tested for game fitness at the beginning of camp and worked into game shape before the season started.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
My only problem with the good luck snowball idea is they had that already in Anaheim and blew it. Depleted opponent, early lead.

Maybe it will be different several games later.
Of course it'll be different. Way different. Because reasons. Just let me cling to this ray of hope.

I found a very big positive for this game no one is discussing. The hat giveaway was great. It's comfortable and warm, and my favorite giveaway from a sporting event I've received. I wore it all game and it kept my chrome dome nice and toasty. I did miss the coverage my beanie provides to the back of my neck though. Maybe I'll have to make some sort of abomination by combining the two for ultimate comfort and warmth with maximum silliness in appearance.

Reactions: 0point1

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Could be, it would explain some things, like how we seem to suck at hockey.

It's a little scary he's having to resort to this already, but I like the fact that he's calling them out. This kind of suckage needs to be unacceptable.

Reactions: kbay

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not good when a coach is calling out players by name. See Edmonton response after McLellan called out McDavid.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Threatened isn't really the right word. Listen to it for yourself, because people are obviously (and poorly) editorializing the interview:

I think a few guys showed up out of shape, there's been some bad luck, a lot of roster turnover, and no clear leadership in the room. Tocchet also might be a little rough around the edges.

All of that equals tough sledding.

Reactions: kbay

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure if I've caught it with our new guys but I still see some of the returning players making the same habitual mistakes they did last season. Particularly on D.

There's been a huge turnover here. Both in players and coaches and it's obvious to anyone with a pulse that they aren't all on the same page right now. Whether it's a mental issue with some players falling into the same funky attitudes they did the last couple of years when they blew leads in games.... or a coaching staff who can't figure out how to get the most from what they have... or both.

I've seen some moments this year where they absolutely looked great, and then watch a bunch of them fall back into old stupid habits and go off the rails.

Agreed. We keep making similar mistakes. However, if there are times when players go off script, the staff also needs to be able to make in game adjustments. Simplify the system, even at the expense of losing some of the up-tempo play. Make sure the players are getting it right.

Don't continue to roll four lines deep in the same way that it has been done. Find out who is doing it right and give them ice time. When in doubt, let the veterans be the stabilizing force so that the youth doesn't pick up bad habits. Our entire defense is pretty much playing with new partners right now, so that is going to take a while to get comfortable within the system. But simplify until then.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Interesting that even Tocc is confused as to why the defense is atrocious, especially why they're all taking risky pinches. Are the coaches on the same page? :laugh:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The sad thing is that our defense was supposed to be our foundation that held the team up. A lot of experience in our back end and a supposed top 10 d-man to calm the youth we had up front. Turns out our young guys up front are putting in the work and the vets are completely shitting the bed on the backend.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Threatened isn't really the right word. Listen to it for yourself, because people are obviously (and poorly) editorializing the interview:

I think a few guys showed up out of shape, there's been some bad luck, a lot of roster turnover, and no clear leadership in the room. Tocchet also might be a little rough around the edges.

All of that equals tough sledding.

At about the 2:30 mark Tocchet talks about getting in new players. At the 3:32 mark Tocchet talks about having to "babysit players". If that isn't a threat, I don't know what is.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Watching this team at the arena just sucks the happiness right out of your your soul. I go home disappointed all the freaking time, but now I go home angry.

Reactions: 0point1

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think it's important to remember with OEL that he's struggling with an injury now. He has an excuse. Hammer has been great.

Stepan is supposed to be the other big veteran leader, and he's been mediocre at best. What a colossal disappointment so far. I'm getting Olli Jokinen and Mike Ribeiro flashbacks. We just can't have a #1 center, we're not allowed.

Reactions: knich

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
How many more losses before Tocchet gets canned? Quite within the realm of possibility to not win a game. Two against Dallas, then Chicago, then the East coast trip. Does he need to get more than 8 points by the end of the month to keep his job? I think anything less than 8 and he goes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How many more losses before Tocchet gets canned? Quite within the realm of possibility to not win a game. Two against Dallas, then Chicago, then the East coast trip. Does he need to get more than 8 points by the end of the month to keep his job? I think anything less than 8 and he goes.
There is a 0% chance he gets fired anywhere near that quickly.

Reactions: Murf and Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He won't be fired until the spring at the earliest. They will change the players before they change the coach. A lot.

I also adore that we're having this conversation yet convincing people Dave Tippett (who was busy winning a couple games a month) had to go was somehow a reach.

Reactions: CC96 and rt

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Well it fits so unfortunately you're out of luck, at least from me. It's very warm and comfortable( especially for bald heads), but it's ugly as hell haha. I still like it and will wear it, and as long as you're cool with the look I'd try to grab one.

I like it; I'm just not sure I wanna know where the fur comes from. I look at mine and I keep thinking..."nutria?"

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
The thing Tip had going for him was he didn't suck right out of the gate. Sure people were willing to let things slide a while longer due to the playoffs years. But if you think Tip should have been sent packing way earlier than what happened, why wouldn't you want a new coach to replace one who can't win? I have no attachment to him so send him packing if he can't string together a few wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00