GDT: Game 49: Avs vs Predators | 1 PM MT | January 21, 2019 | I Have a Dream of Consecutive Wins

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Okay. This game did hurt. Fortunately it's over. Liked the Avs a lot today but the 3:1 broke them. Varly seems to be done for the season, Avs just try to ignore this somehow. Maybe they're trying to showcase him hoping for a trade but this plan's not working.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
It must be nice to follow an organization who prides themselves in a winning atmosphere no matter where the team is at. I understand preaching stay the course and building a team takes time but at least show some sort of accountability. The goalie situation has been awful for going on two months, and they literally wont try anything other than shrugging their shoulders. Maybe try and light a fire for once.

Reactions: klozge

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1-4, always nice to have an afternoon game on a Monday

AX2hTas.png

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I understand how the Avs signed Grubauer to a 3-year deal, and essentially committed 100% to Varly/Grub for the season, but are they really willing to miss the playoffs because they're too stubborn to admit they were wrong?

There's a huge elephant in the room right now, and I'm sure the players feel the same way. Time to do something. Anything.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bednar clearly doesn't trust Grubauer and lets be honest, he hasn't really given anyone a reason to trust him with his most recent play but something has to give here. The coach will always handle those decisions so maybe Sakic needs to see if he can find a taker for Varly so Bednar has no choice but to go with Grubauer and Francouz. Playing Varly helps no one.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I think one of the things that really bothers me about Bednar is that he's so stubborn with his roster decisions, and he just seems pointless on the bench. If there was a cardboard cutout of him on the bench it would have as much movement and active coaching as the real version of him.
After listening to that spitting chiclets podcast, it worries me that he tries way too hard to be one of the guys and a players coach. Look at the situation with him and Mack, he gets embarrassed on the bench by one of his players and turns around and says he likes Macks passion. I just cant see his style lasting long in this league are players going to respect him as their coach after another disappointing season?

Reactions: klozge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How many players got “useful” points today?

If two other players scored “useless” goals, would Kerfoot’s also have been useless?

Not sure I agree with the constant Kerf bashing. Where was the big line today in a huge divisional matchup at home? Couldn’t score. Only useless Kerfoot gets on the scoresheet.

When was the last time Kerfoot had a goal or assist to tie the game or take the lead? He gets one when we’re down 3 so maybe not useless, may be a little harsh but he has like 7 pts in has last 20 games. For a “legit 2nd liner” that’s pretty bad.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Lol when being asked about the wrap around goal, the first person he brought up was Cole not breaking off instead of Varly taking the remainder of his contract to get across to the other post.

Reactions: MacBradley

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure if it all rests on Varlamov shoulders as you lot are making it seem, Avs PP was 0-4 and generated a total of 0 prime scoring chances.

Even though Avs outplayed their opponent, there are two very concerning issues for me...

1) The forecheque that made them so well last season has been almost nonexistent this year around. And it cannot be due to one player change, especially when that player (Calvert) is one of the better forechequers on the club. It's been a failure from every single player.

2) An inability to come back after being down. I know Avs are one of top 7 or so teams in coming back, but that is a skewed stat since Avs have gone down by two very easy lately, the opposing team lets off the gas, Avs tie it, and eventually lose it. If the only chance we have is to win a game by scoring the first goal, then pack this season up and fastforward to June 20th.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'd guess they're leaning on Varlmov lately as a sort of last chance for him to prove they should keep him. Not sure that his trade value is great, but someone will take him at the deadline. I know they got Grubauer as insurance against what happened last year in the playoffs, but I don't see why you re-sign Varly, so you may as well get something in return for him. And find out what you've got in Francouz. He's only signed for one year. Get him in some games, maybe he comes up big. Doesn't hurt to try after the horrid goaltending the Avs have endured recently.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
The Avs suit-up only 3 forwards that they actually drafted (only one d-man and no goalies). The rest of the roster are trade acquisitions, waiver pickups or free agents. Until they start finding talent in the draft it is always going to be hard for them to compete. Waiting/hoping for other teams to make mistakes and gift you players doesn't work. The 2010, 2012, 2o14 drafts were complete whiffs. Again, only 4 guys out of 20 were drafted and developed by the organization-abysmal. You could say as the 1st and 2nd picks respectively Mack and Gabe were no-brainers. That gives the organization 2 picks in the last NINE years who are on the roster. And you wonder why they struggle. Look no further than the GM, now Sakic and the scouts.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The more I think about this loss the more frustrating it gets. We played damn near a perfect game.

- 1 Bad read from Zadorov
- 1 Defensive breakdown from Barberio
- 1 God awful goal from Varky

That's literally it. And both breakdowns resulted in goals, one of which was once again a real bad goal for Varly to allow.

Meanwhile the Preds must have had 5-6 breakdowns as bad or worse as the Zadorov play and every single time Rinne was up to the task.

Extremely frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad