GDT: Game 49: Avs vs Predators | 1 PM MT | January 21, 2019 | I Have a Dream of Consecutive Wins

Who'd you rather?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What's the point of evaluating every single goal that goes in and pinpointing what went wrong? There are lots of different things go wrong for each goal this team allows, and nothing changes.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That five hole goal by Varly was a softy for sure, but I'm not that concerned personally with the wrap around goal.

That would have been a highlight reel save if he made it. Arvidsson was flying down the wing and faked the shot at the goal line to get Varly to go down to the butterfly. Guys shoot on Varly all the time there. If he doesn't go down, he's leaving too many holes to shoot at. He wasn't getting to the far post in time with Arvidsson going as fast as he was. I'm more concerned with Cole getting caught flat footed on a stretch pass again.

This team continues to shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and poor defensive positioning. I'm gonna put together a little montage of this later demonstrating how the Avs troubles are not simply goaltending alone.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What was the reason for signing Francouz in the first place? Was he legit signed to help out in Loveland? Seems the big club can use some help between the pipes.
I think Avs have become accustomed to relying on teams who are chasing them sucking so they would make the playoffs rather then actually trying themselves to make it, but I dont think that's gonna happen this year, no team is gonna suck like the Avs do. Blues are catching up, Stars and Wild already passed them, hell the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago passes the Avs too

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The more I think about this loss the more frustrating it gets. We played damn near a perfect game.

- 1 Bad read from Zadorov
- 1 Defensive breakdown from Barberio
- 1 God awful goal from Varky

That's literally it. And both breakdowns resulted in goals, one of which was once again a real bad goal for Varly to allow.

Meanwhile the Preds must have had 5-6 breakdowns as bad or worse as the Zadorov play and every single time Rinne was up to the task.

Extremely frustrating.

I don't know about perfect but yeah we didn't give them that much and they capitalized when we gave them anything at all.

But here's my problem with this game : how does someone watch this game...like we all have tonight and Bednar did behind the bench...and yet he doesn't pull Varlamov after the Arvidsson wrap-around goal???

Many posters and myself noticed and some even posted early on in the thread because it was so obvious that Varly 'looked shaky' in the 1st period and then he lets in that massive fromage from Bonnino and doesn't even make it half away across the net on the Arvidsson wrap-around???

How much hockey do you have to have watched in your life to have a 'SENSE' that your goalie just doesn't have it tonight and it doesn't necessarily mean that your backup will be any better but at least there's a chance he might hold it down to give you a chance.

The fact that Bednar doesn't see it, doesn't have this sense is why he needs to be replaced sooner or later. Frik, at one point, Quenneville put in Vitali Kolesnik to get a goddam save...remember that!!?!!!?? (ah damn...Kolesnik retired :sarcasm:) They need to give Francouz a chance.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Bednar has made it very, very, very clear that he doesn't trust Grubauer as far as he can throw him. Now I can't say that Grubauer's earned more trust, but it's really frustrating because we know that Varlamov isn't the answer. The easiest way out of this is Varlamov riding off into the sunset and Grubauer finding confidence and running with it. Continuing to force Varlamov isn't working and it's been costing us points for a while now.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
This is absolutely nothing but speculation on my part, but I have a feeling Grub is taking the back seat (aside from his numbers being bad and him being the new kid on the block) because of his attitude. The guy hasn't owned up to his poor play ONCE and is on record not only complaining about his playing time, but also calling out the team in front of him.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
71EDD395-70AC-4642-BE78-D6141FA446DE.jpeg

Reactions: shadow1 and Avs71

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every time Cole is on the ice I have anxiety

He was really bad in this game. Lots of turnovers and poor coverage. Zadorov with a lot of the same problems.

This is what happens when you increase their workload to replace EJ's role.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This is absolutely nothing but speculation on my part, but I have a feeling Grub is taking the back seat (aside from his numbers being bad and him being the new kid on the block) because of his attitude. The guy hasn't owned up to his poor play ONCE and is on record not only complaining about his playing time, but also calling out the team in front of him.
I've wondered about this as well, he doesn't really seem like a team guy, more a me guy. Worries about his stats, won't take blame if he sucks it up, blames everyone and everything but himself.

Personally I haven't liked his attitude since the preseason where he stunk it up. It's almost like he came into camp with a big head coming from the Cup champs, and he didn't think he had to work hard and we'd just give him the #1 role.

He hasn't earned shit with us. Even with as bad as Varly has been I at least trust that he gives a shit out there. I guarantee he isn't happy with his play, he has alway taken his bad play personally and wants to win with this team. Unfortunately it probably isn't going to work out, but he has played hard for us through some really shit years.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
At this point I'm so sick of this playing of guys that don't offer anything of value to the team.

What's the point of having a minor league team if you're not willing to give some players a shot who have earned it.

Why aren't guys like Greer, O'Connor, Graves fixtures in the lineup? Why isn't Frank getting a chance when neither of our goalies can stop a beach ball at the moment? What has Neito, Andrighetto, Bourque, Dries, Barberio or Nemeth done to stay in the lineup? This is Pejorative Slured we've been the worst team in the league for over a month, stop trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

The lineup we are putting out there isn't getting results. it's not like magically the same lineup is going to go on a 10 game winning streak. Change some stuff around, send some messages to under performing players. The lineup we have right now is closer to the results we are getting currently, than they are to the results we got the first two months. We overachieved, now we are showing our true identity, which is an average team that gets average results.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't know about perfect but yeah we didn't give them that much and they capitalized when we gave them anything at all.

But here's my problem with this game : how does someone watch this game...like we all have tonight and Bednar did behind the bench...and yet he doesn't pull Varlamov after the Arvidsson wrap-around goal???

Many posters and myself noticed and some even posted early on in the thread because it was so obvious that Varly 'looked shaky' in the 1st period and then he lets in that massive fromage from Bonnino and doesn't even make it half away across the net on the Arvidsson wrap-around???

How much hockey do you have to have watched in your life to have a 'SENSE' that your goalie just doesn't have it tonight and it doesn't necessarily mean that your backup will be any better but at least there's a chance he might hold it down to give you a chance.

The fact that Bednar doesn't see it, doesn't have this sense is why he needs to be replaced sooner or later. Frik, at one point, Quenneville put in Vitali Kolesnik to get a goddam save...remember that!!?!!!?? (ah damn...Kolesnik retired :sarcasm:) They need to give Francouz a chance.
It's very rare a coach will pull a goalie after two goals.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That five hole goal by Varly was a softy for sure, but I'm not that concerned personally with the wrap around goal.

That would have been a highlight reel save if he made it. Arvidsson was flying down the wing and faked the shot at the goal line to get Varly to go down to the butterfly. Guys shoot on Varly all the time there. If he doesn't go down, he's leaving too many holes to shoot at. He wasn't getting to the far post in time with Arvidsson going as fast as he was. I'm more concerned with Cole getting caught flat footed on a stretch pass again.

This team continues to shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and poor defensive positioning. I'm gonna put together a little montage of this later demonstrating how the Avs troubles are not simply goaltending alone.

Oh god, just stop. What is the point of defending him at this point? We were in a physical game that we were getting the majority of the chances in, and what does Varly do? Let in a complete muffin from Bonino 5 hole. That is enough to be pissed off at him at this point.

We get it that it isn't just goal-tending. At this point we just can't get around the back breaking goals, and can't get the extra save. Varly also looks slower than pond water at times.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Had the same though, but I'm sure he needs to look at it between games and make an assessment before seeing what they can change.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh god, just stop. What is the point of defending him at this point? We were in a physical game that we were getting the majority of the chances in, and what does Varly do? Let in a complete muffin from Bonino 5 hole. That is enough to be pissed off at him at this point.

We get it that it isn't just goal-tending. At this point we just can't get around the back breaking goals, and can't get the extra save. Varly also looks slower than pond water at times.

Jeez, what an overreaction. Did I forget my pitchfork when I called the same goal you’re complaining about a soft goal?

The goaltending has been a huge problem since December, but it’s all I see anyone talk about. No one talks about the countless turnovers this team has every game, especially when they give up the first goal. They're both big problems.

Reactions: klozge

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jeez, what an overreaction. Did I forget my pitchfork when I called the same goal you’re complaining about a soft goal?

The goaltending has been a huge problem since December, but it’s all I see anyone talk about. No one talks about the countless turnovers this team has every game, especially when they give up the first goal. They're both big problems.

I think it is getting skewed because our mistakes cost us every single time. Other teams make just as many mistakes or more and we still come out on the loosing end. No team in the NHL plays a perfect game.

I'm kind of sick of the three mistakes the defense makes in a game becoming so completely polarizing.

Goal-tending is all anyone talks about because it is infuriating, and killing the teams confidence. As well as their playoff hopes. It is just unacceptable plain and simple.

Did you see how many times Subban was made to look like a fool? That is supposed to be a Norris caliber defender. Did you see how many times Doughty was smoked in LA? I think in the last two games both of those guys made more mistakes in a single game than our entire f***ing defense did all game.

If you want to feel good about your argument, go listen to the last BSN pod. Jesse talks for an hour about how we make costly mistakes, and even out right says they need to play a perfect game. I wanted to choke the life out of him, but you may enjoy it.

You are right they've laid some eggs over the past couple of months as a team defensively, but in a lot of these games the team has been very good as a whole. I'd even argue they've played some of their best games of the year team wide in losses.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad