Post-Game Talk: GAME 48 - Brad wins it in OT - BRUINS 3 Ottawa 2 F/OT

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I would honestly like for him to open his mouth, draw some attention to the bad refereeing. I know that's too much to ask these days.
EDIT: I don't put the bad reffing on him not "fighting back." It's a league wide problem. More coaches have to stand up and be counted but they're all afraid for their livelihoods, I get it, don't like it but I get it.
First of all, Monty DID open his mouth. In fact, he came out about 3-4min early before the 3rd period started to let the officiating crew know exactly how he felt about the job they were doing. The Ottawa radio crew actually mentioned it during their broadcast.

As for the NHL refereeing conspiracy theories, believe what you want. Tonight they were bad, no question. But the idea that there is some nefarious plot going on, gives this league way too much credit. The NHL couldn't pull that off, even if they wanted to.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I really wonder if it’s a top down thing.

I can’t recall Sweeney ever criticizing the officials or DOPS.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t recall it happening.

I almost want to give them credit for having the discipline that I wouldn’t.

However, considering how often they end up getting the short end of the stick, so to speak, maybe it isn’t the right tact to take?

I really think he needs to play every night at this point.
Remember Sinden comments about playing in Montréal :biglaugh:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
First of all, Monty DID open his mouth. In fact, he came out about 3-4min early before the 3rd period started to let the officiating crew know exactly how he felt about the job they were doing. The Ottawa radio crew actually mentioned it during their broadcast.

As for the NHL refereeing conspiracy theories, you can believe what you want. Tonight they were bad, no question. But the idea that there is some nefarious plot going on, gives this league way too much credit. The NHL couldn't pull that off, even if they wanted to.
I didn't have the Ottawa feed on, he needed to do more than he did IMO. Maybe he gave it to them after the game but...
Wanna bet ;)? There is something going on IMO. Otherwise, with all of the complaints and video's showing poor officiating they would be scrutinizing it. I guess they have no time since they're looking for the next expansion city 24/7.

Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

As for the NHL refereeing conspiracy theories, you can believe what you want. Tonight they were bad, no question. But the idea that there is some nefarious plot going on, gives this league way too much credit. The NHL couldn't pull that off, even if they wanted to.
I do not see a plot I see people being bad at their jobs.And I know it's not easy but tonite was bad.These guys wear Teflon.

Reactions: wintersej

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just before Frederic's phantom tripping call, a Sens player cross-checked a Bruin in the back. The Sens player looked back at the official like he had his hand caught in the cookie jar. Seeing that no call was made, he cross-checked again. Then again.

So when a penalty was finally called, I thought the refs had finally had enough, especially in the B's offensive zone. I had no idea the penalty was actually on the Bruins and was in disbelief.

Wotherspoon and Boqvist have earned roster spots. Love Wotherspoon's knack for the safe, smart play, plus he brings some snarl.

Surprised the PK hasn't been brought up more. It's definitely an issue.

Philly has hit the skids, so keep pushing on Saturday.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

As for the NHL refereeing conspiracy theories, believe what you want. Tonight they were bad, no question. But the idea that there is some nefarious plot going on, gives this league way too much credit. The NHL couldn't pull that off, even if they wanted to.
I really think there needs to be an investigation into any possible gambling by NHL officials by an independent group/committee. At the very least, there needs to be some kind of watchdog agency to keep the refs on the straight and narrow.

Tonight's officiating was so one-sided, I couldn't stop thinking about NBA ref Tim Donaghy who was deeply involved in a betting scheme on NBA games HE was reffing.
He made a boat load of money for himself, some bookie friends, and even members of the mob.
Netflix has a documentary called "UNTOLD - Operation Flagrant Foul" if anybody wants to check it out.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I really think there needs to be an investigation into any possible gambling by NHL officials by an independent group/committee. At the very least, there needs to be some kind of watchdog agency to keep the refs on the straight and narrow.

Tonight's officiating was so one-sided, I couldn't stop thinking about NBA ref Tim Donaghy who was deeply involved in a betting scheme on NBA games HE was reffing.
He made a boat load of money for himself, some bookie friends, and even members of the mob.
Netflix has a documentary called "UNTOLD - Operation Flagrant Foul" if anybody wants to check it out.
:thumbu::thumbu:

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't know that specific officials are betting on games; but I do know with the leagues now doing business with gambling entities, and posting links to bet over/under as games progress, the concept of "game management" becomes more of an issue.

The B's weren't playing on the edge, and they weren't chasing the game. So the disparity in penalties certainly raises some eyebrows.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Lost in the officiating fiasco is the fact that the Bruins were not good (at all) tonight.

Boqvist led the team in shots on goal and he only play 10:44.

Bruins defensemen had one freakin' shot on goal.

Swayman was the star of the game.

Thank God Jack wasn't calling this one.
They looked like they had nothing in the tank, no legs nor hands tonight. Hard to believe they won.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I absolutely love the reaction by Sway at the end of the game. SportsNet has shown the hug twice this week, shocking!

Two more points banked against the "officials". I hope they thrash the Flyers and then have a nice break. Sway is going to love being at the ASG.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Brick called this a "pretty gutsy win" and that's exactly what I was thinking. To hang in there on the 2nd half of a b2b with travel, in a game that was heavily disrupted and made that much more difficult by having to make multiple kills, was a good effort. Shame to give up a 2-0 lead, but fairly understandable, and they rallied to reach OT and get the extra point in the end. Yes they didn't play great, and the slow start was less than ideal, but while they were being outshot I felt they were matching and probably exceeding the Sens in terms of creating good chances, at least until they tired in the 3rd, and while Swayman had to be good I didn't think he had to face much that was really dangerous. Not a stolen game by any means.

When Marchand let a Sens player - I think it was Stutzle - blow past him far too easily just before the winning goal, I thought it was a lazy play, but he sure made good on it straight after with that excellent finish. Quality leadership from the front there. Probably Marchy isn't as consistent as he once was, but he's still got that ability to make really decisive and important contributions at key times. Good stuff.

Some people used to wish that Cassidy would complain to the refs more, on the argument that it would get them to call things more in our favor. Well Monty yells at the officials - a lot - and it makes no difference. IDK, maybe there's a happy medium that works for coaches. Or, just maybe, it's irrelevant, and the vast majority of the time the refs are simply going to call things, good or bad, as they see fit.

Excellent game by Zacha. Skating well, solid defensively, made some good backchecks, reading the play astutely, good, quick passing. That's the kind of performance we'll need from him more consistently once the serious stuff starts.

Let's finish this stanza of the season well against Philly before a well-deserved break.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I would honestly like for him to open his mouth, draw some attention to the bad refereeing. I know that's too much to ask these days.
EDIT: I don't put the bad reffing on him not "fighting back." It's a league wide problem. More coaches have to stand up and be counted but they're all afraid for their livelihoods, I get it, don't like it but I get it.
He was yelling at the refs last night, saying “That call was horrible! Horrible!” A couple of games before, he was yelling at them saying, “That was f-ing awful! Awful!” If he doesn’t say anything in the post game, that’s different. You get fined and bring heat on the team (although I would enjoy watching it!) By contrast, I don’t recall Cassidy ever going off on the refs on bad calls during games. That drove me crazy.

Edit: Sorry that I did not see Aussie Bruins’ post making the same point before posting mine.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

Exactly the right thing to say, especially for a Captain - and I honestly believe he means it. Well done.

It’s all the borderline stuff that annoyed me. Ottawa was going down hilariously easy all night and the questionable calls just kept coming…but only one way.

A soft call here and there? Fine. This many, with none the other way? It was egregious
As Brick noted, one embellishment call would have likely ended all the flopping.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
I love the snarl of Wotherspoon. Guy is always ornery. That's been too rare in recent black and gold seasons.
The "Spoon" is the new "Shoe" with a lot better skate.

1706271588338.png

Reactions: trenton1

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
In my almost 60 years of watching the B's and hockey in general, I still don't understand what tripping is, based on the calls last night.
Guy inadvertently falls over another guy, chasing from behind, as the Bruin is going to play the puck, is now considered a trip.:eek3:

WTF, I hope the crew is disciplined, even if we never hear about it. Granted, they correctly called back the 1st of OTT 2nd goals(even if it was ridiculously close), but that was the worst officiated game, I've seen in a while, and that standard was set in the 70-90's playing in Montreal.

Reactions: sarge88 and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lost in the officiating fiasco is the fact that the Bruins were not good (at all) tonight.

Boqvist led the team in shots on goal and he only play 10:44.

Bruins defensemen had one freakin' shot on goal.

Swayman was the star of the game.

Thank God Jack wasn't calling this one.
They did a greet job dealing with penalties- you can’t have any flow

My guess is those 2 refs were told by a be league call it very close on Boston

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Brick called this a "pretty gutsy win" and that's exactly what I was thinking. To hang in there on the 2nd half of a b2b with travel, in a game that was heavily disrupted and made that much more difficult by having to make multiple kills, was a good effort. Shame to give up a 2-0 lead, but fairly understandable, and they rallied to reach OT and get the extra point in the end. Yes they didn't play great, and the slow start was less than ideal, but while they were being outshot I felt they were matching and probably exceeding the Sens in terms of creating good chances, at least until they tired in the 3rd, and while Swayman had to be good I didn't think he had to face much that was really dangerous. Not a stolen game by any means.

When Marchand let a Sens player - I think it was Stutzle - blow past him far too easily just before the winning goal, I thought it was a lazy play, but he sure made good on it straight after with that excellent finish. Quality leadership from the front there. Probably Marchy isn't as consistent as he once was, but he's still got that ability to make really decisive and important contributions at key times. Good stuff.

Some people used to wish that Cassidy would complain to the refs more, on the argument that it would get them to call things more in our favor. Well Monty yells at the officials - a lot - and it makes no difference. IDK, maybe there's a happy medium that works for coaches. Or, just maybe, it's irrelevant, and the vast majority of the time the refs are simply going to call things, good or bad, as they see fit.

Excellent game by Zacha. Skating well, solid defensively, made some good backchecks, reading the play astutely, good, quick passing. That's the kind of performance we'll need from him more consistently once the serious stuff starts.

Let's finish this stanza of the season well against Philly before a well-deserved break.

The B‘s braintrust are better people than I!

I‘d hold a 45 minute presser with video footage of all the garbage calls they‘ve made against the B’s this month, along with calls they refused to make vs. opponents, and including the names of the refs who worked the games.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
In Monty's defense he was screaming at the refs all night, not sure he needed to add more on it post game, I think it was clear how he felt about them all game

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad