Post-Game Talk: GAME 47 - #$@&%*#$@&%* - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 FINAL

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
That loss sucked. Not really one minute of the game I thought they'd lose.

Krug and Marchand look too lackadaisical out there on offence too much lately. It's like they sometimes forget what makes them so effective and just go for the pretty plays and forget that it's the full on work that's gotten them where they are.
Chara is not Chara the last few games. No idea if that's the step back from his age - or just a couple of not great games but he's fumbling the puck and doesn't seem as strong on his cuts and seems weaker. Not as worried about the foot speed as compared to plays where he's playing it as if he doesn't know his limitations - if that makes sense.
Halak looked (and has looked lately) every bit like a back-up goalie.

on the plus side:
the 4th line is great
Carlo is going to be as good as it gets - half dozen games in a row where I've just gone Wow! - and is the kind of player you win with.
Krejci is playing lights out nowadays. All year.

on the Philly side.
Carter Hart is going to be very good. We all knew it was coming but I hate to think of Philly with an actual long term answer in goal. It's been so long. - Hextall? Lindbergh? Parent?
I like Couturier (and wanted him more than Hamilton) but - hat-trick? that was a pretty weak hat-trick.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I wouldn’t mind if Z sat a game but I just don’t know if Bruce has enough guts to do it.

I like Bruce but he seems a bit too passive at times where it would be nice to see a little emotion
I would have liked to see him fired up when two guys were down behind the opposing goal after a failed scoring attempt while we were short handed and then were way out of the play getting back. One of them looked like they were carrying an iron bathtub getting back. Flyers scored.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So I know we are here to crap in the lack of forwards up front...

But this D is great. They have been shutting down and moving the puck at an insanely high level and driving possession. Obviously need to help up front to finish, but you can win a Cup with this D group.

Reactions: BadBruins

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Chara making 6 million ,Backes making 6 million and a kid who just scored 2 goals making nothing rotting in minors steady .Someone is having a hard time seeing things .

Chara deserves his paycheck more than Backes

...but what's the reasoning for not throwing Cehlarik in the lineup a few weeks ago?

Reactions: Pomee

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Chara deserves his paycheck more than Backes

...but what's the reasoning for not throwing Cehlarik in the lineup a few weeks ago?

Personally I view things as Chara was well paid over his time in Boston and will get his number retired too so Bruins can hold heads high if they walk away in off season..But paying him 6 million this year was just asenine by Sweeney.Backes deal is same as Beleskey deal.Bad.But what choice do Bruins have.When your spending 12 mllion they have to play.Hopefuly week off helps them rest of the way.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If Cassidy scratched Chara I'd think he has balls of steel and I'd respect the hell out of him for it. And it's not so much that Chara has been bad. The whole D group has been good. Moore doesn't "deserve" to sit either. But a reasonable case could be made for sitting Chara tomorrow and if Cassidy did it I'd respect it. and honestly Z would just be motivated by it.
He sat Backes who was a (very expensive) healthy scratch (and former NHL captain) for the first time in 12 years, so in theory, sitting Z might not be that big of a step for him.

But I don't see it happening, even if they said it was just for "rest" purposes.

I do wonder what Chara thinks of his own play right now.

Reactions: BMC and bme44

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Let’s all pump the breaks on Cehlarik a bit. Kid played well tonight and earned more ice with the big club. Let’s leave it at that for now.

I hope he can help fill the scoring holes we have, but we saw the same thing last year with Donato.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Personally I view things as Chara was well paid over his time in Boston and will get his number retired too so Bruins can hold heads high if they walk away in off season..But paying him 6 million this year was just asenine by Sweeney.Backes deal is same as Beleskey deal.Bad.But what choice do Bruins have.When your spending 12 mllion they have to play.Hopefuly week off helps them rest of the way.

Beleskey didn't work out...Backes wasn't the best signing either, but Backes may be useful in the playoffs

Chara deserves his pay for being such a warrior for the B's for so many years...it's like retro-pay

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Let’s all pump the breaks on Cehlarik a bit. Kid played well tonight and earned more ice with the big club. Let’s leave it at that for now.

I hope he can help fill the scoring holes we have, but we saw the same thing last year with Donato.

Donato is weak.He is useless unless room to shoot it.Cehlarik has size and can get in front .Yes pump brakes but sure makes you wonder about the way things are being run in Boston.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Broussej

Sep 20, 2014
Halak seems to make the big saves but is giving up too many rebounds and then lets the soft ones go in

He looked so well-positioned, poised, and confident early in the season but has been shaky the last few games
Early in the season, he played few games in row. Now, he's playing only once a week. He's not a real backup. He's a starter or a tandem goalie. He really need to play more to stay sharp.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I also think there is something up with Bergeron. He's had some good games and some fantastic plays since coming back from the injury, but that former laser from the top of the circles looks like a pop gun right now. I don't think he suddenly just lost that skill. My guess is he wasn't truly 100 percent coming back. Seems reasonable that an injury of that type would affect his shooting/timing.

Who knows. But I miss that top line from the beginning of the season. :(

Reactions: TCB and minpind

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What a piece of crap. I DVR'ed and ended up fast forwarding through most of the third after they failed to score on the PP again. Finally shut it off when I saw the score go to 4-2. I don't have time to waste on that sort of garbage :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Early in the season, he played few games in row. Now, he's playing only once a week. He's not a real backup. He's a starter or a tandem goalie. He really need to play more to stay sharp.

You could be right...

I'm not too familiar with what makes Halak tick as this is the first time I've seen him in a Bruins uniform

I've seen posts saying he usually starts out strong during the season- then fades

His career stats are really good .....but he's not looking too sharp lately

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Donato is weak.He is useless unless room to shoot it.Cehlarik has size and can get in front .Yes pump brakes but sure makes you wonder about the way things are being run in Boston.

Should give Donato some testosterone shots, get him to bulk up a bit and sign him up for a UFC bout just to toughen him up...

...and he'll be ready to go

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I said it in the trade thread but I’m wondering if the trade chatter and rumors have started to impact the team.
My memory might be hazy. But they seem to always have stretches of bad play when the rumour mill kicks in to high gear.

As for this game. A night like tonight, where Bergeron is clearly not feeling it. Having a guy like Schenn who could move up on the lineup even for a shift or two might’ve been nice.

I could see why Cassidy wouldn’t move Krejci away from his wingers, they played well together.

No third option at centre really limits their choices on line combos.

Would also be nice to have guys stand in front of goalies when they’re having the game of their lives (again). Maybe whack his pads here and there. Tell him some yo momma jokes. Anything really.

And stop with the flamingo routine when the shot is coming.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What it boils down to is halak has been struggling and for the power play to come up with nothing on that 5 minute major is inexcusable.

A ton of shot attempts but way too many shot attempts from the point and a real lack of working it down low.

This looked like a Claude julien game at the end of his time here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad