Post-Game Talk: GAME 46 - Une frustrante défaite à domicile contre Montréal - Poutineville 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In fairness to Butch, in all the time I've watched sports I have yet to hear a coach blame himself or staff for a defeat.

After a loss, Belichick without exception starts his post game press conferences with "We could've coached better......" Now he also generally follows it up with "we could've executed better" after that, but still. He never fails to put at least some blame on the coaches, including himself.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

False Start

May 8, 2018
After a loss, Belichick without exception starts his post game press conferences with "We could've coached better......" Now he also generally follows it up with "we could've executed better" after that, but still. He never fails to put at least some blame on the coaches, including himself.

Can't compare football to Hockey. It's a much different type of game.

Hockey is more chaotic for sure.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

This imo isn't a sports type relevance. It's about taking responsibility doesn't matter the sport or how chaotic it is.
Julien for ex was pathetic on the excuses he'd provide after losing

False Start

May 8, 2018
This imo isn't a sports type relevance. It's about taking responsibility doesn't matter the sport or how chaotic it is.
Julien for ex was pathetic on the excuses he'd provide after losing

I'm just saying there's a reason football coaches take on that responsibility. Each team, has usually a full week to gameplan offensively and defensively versus the next team on their schedule. Then it's a chess match between coordinators based on scheme and tendencies, and finally boils down to the players executing the gameplans put into place.

But you're right in the sense that hockey interviews are generally just coaches and players giving the same excuses every time they speak to the media.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied to and messaged me. You guys are the best. <3

Secondly, was it me or did it seem like the Bruins passed just a little too much in the offensive zone and didn’t shoot enough? I know it sounds crazy, but it sure didn’t seem like they had 43 shots. It looked like there were several shots available that were just not taken. Yes, the game looks different to them at ice level, but the offense - even the Bergeron like - looked a little off. Although the Canadiens offense had far fewer shots, they just looked a little more aggressive.

I do have to give props to Carey Price. He played a great game.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
kind of funny to be on the other side of things last night.. claude had the lead and went into the "tortoise defense" hunker down in your shell and keep spitting pucks out of your own zone while the other team just keeps attacking wave after wave .. so glad we dont have to watch that anymore

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Huh? Did you even read the post I was responding to? It was "in all the time I've watched sports I have yet to hear a coach blame himself or staff for a defeat."

We're talking sports. Not hockey alone. Sports. And coaches accepting blame for a loss in all sports.

But hey, don't like that example because it's the NFL, how about this one:

Edmonton Oilers head coach accepts blame for team's fall from NHL grace

Edmonton Oilers head coach accepts blame for team’s fall from NHL grace

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Just got home from the game.

The biggest disappointment I feel tonight isn't that the Bruins lost. Or who they lost to. Or how they lost. It's that for the first time in my life, I can't discuss or talk about a game that I went to with my old man. My dad passed away last Tuesday night, and it's been a rough week/weekend.

Those of you who know me a little bit know how much my family means to me, and how much the Bruins are woven into the fabric of my family. Dad took me to my first game (Game 2 of the 1988 Adams Division Semi-Final vs. Buffalo) when I was 13 years old. He took my brothers and I to several other games when he could get tickets right behind the glass at ice-level. When I grew up and had my own job and my own money, I would take him. We could only afford one or two games a season, but the Bruins never once lost a game that dad came to with me. Not one. So many happy memories. Blowouts. Thrillers. Hat tricks. Fights. We saw it all as a family.

Dad also loved talking about the good old days of Bobby Orr, Derek Sanderson, and the rest of that gang. He really had a hard time keeping track of all the guys playing today ("and all these expansion teams!"), but he remembered the lineups and characters of yesteryear pretty well.

About a month ago he looked me right in the eye and said this would be his last Christmas. He was really sick, and as much as I didn't want to believe it, I knew it was the God's honest truth. So, for an early Christmas present I got him "If These Walls Could Talk" by Dale Arnold. Not a bad last Christmas present, right? Every day on the ride home from work I would call and ask him if he had read any of it during the day, but he was always feeling too lousy to sit and read anything. When he asked me if I wanted him to read it so badly so I could have it when he was done, I had to tell him that I really didn't care if I read it or not - I just wanted to hear him talk about the book. He never did read the book, and I'm not sure when I'll be ready to.

The sport of hockey in general and the Boston Bruins in particular has a way of touching lives and making memories. My wife and I went tonight and we'll never forget tonight's game as long as we live. Every person who goes out of his or her way to post on this forum has a story. How and why they're a fan, going to games with friends and family, thrilling victories, and bitter defeats. And memories - we all have memories.

Everyone has a story, and that's mine for tonight.

A little strange coincidence type thing: my father took me to my first game that year, it was game one of that same series against Buffalo. I was 11. You were at game 2.

He had a connection at his work and managed to get tickets for four or five games a year. We were in the loge, about 15 or so rows behind the Bruins net. I remember the Garden rocking to the chant of "Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Reg-gie!" like it was last night. Being at the Boston Garden with him watching the Bruins, those are the truly sacred memories.

My father died in 1991 and his best friend bought us tickets to the home opener that year. It was exciting to be there and see those 75th anniversary throwback uniforms, but it was incredibly hard not be able to share it with him, that's for sure. I've been a die hard fan all these years because of him.

Thanks for the memories, man. Much love to you and yours.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

That's interesting and I think a good thing. It may be one of the reasons why he's been so successful with his teams.

Reactions: rfournier103

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied to and messaged me. You guys are the best. <3

Secondly, was it me or did it seem like the Bruins passed just a little too much in the offensive zone and didn’t shoot enough? I know it sounds crazy, but it sure didn’t seem like they had 43 shots. It looked like there were several shots available that were just not taken. Yes, the game looks different to them at ice level, but the offense - even the Bergeron like - looked a little off. Although the Canadiens offense had far fewer shots, they just looked a little more aggressive.

I do have to give props to Carey Price. He played a great game.

I noticed it too. They kept passing the puck around looking for the perfect shot. They do the same thing vs Holtby. And that stat- 43 shots- is depressing when you realize all that shooting resulted in just 2 goals.

I think Bergeron is still dinged up from the hit that forced him to sit out and I wouldn't be surprised to learn his injuries have gotten worse coming back. I know he wants to play but what's the point if he isn't as effective? A 45% face off percentage is mediocre by Bergeron standards ( I know the officiating didn't help but still) and IMO he didn't move well out there.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Something was up with Pasta. He was not himself for most of the game. No smiles . I hope he isn't injured.
He and Bergy looked almost angry last night.

I think they take playing the Habs so seriously sometimes that it throws everything else off.

A happy Pasta and Bergy usually means they'll have a good night

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just got home from the game.

My dad passed away last Tuesday night, and it's been a rough week/weekend.

Those of you who know me a little bit know how much my family means to me, and how much the Bruins are woven into the fabric of my family. Dad took me to my first game (Game 2 of the 1988 Adams Division Semi-Final vs. Buffalo) when I was 13 years old. He took my brothers and I to several other games when he could get tickets right behind the glass at ice-level. When I grew up and had my own job and my own money, I would take him. We could only afford one or two games a season, but the Bruins never once lost a game that dad came to with me. Not one. So many happy memories. Blowouts. Thrillers. Hat tricks. Fights. We saw it all as a family.

Dad also loved talking about the good old days of Bobby Orr, Derek Sanderson, and the rest of that gang. He really had a hard time keeping track of all the guys playing today ("and all these expansion teams!"), but he remembered the lineups and characters of yesteryear pretty well.

About a month ago he looked me right in the eye and said this would be his last Christmas. He was really sick, and as much as I didn't want to believe it, I knew it was the God's honest truth. So, for an early Christmas present I got him "If These Walls Could Talk" by Dale Arnold. Not a bad last Christmas present, right? Every day on the ride home from work I would call and ask him if he had read any of it during the day, but he was always feeling too lousy to sit and read anything. When he asked me if I wanted him to read it so badly so I could have it when he was done, I had to tell him that I really didn't care if I read it or not - I just wanted to hear him talk about the book. He never did read the book, and I'm not sure when I'll be ready to.

The sport of hockey in general and the Boston Bruins in particular has a way of touching lives and making memories. My wife and I went tonight and we'll never forget tonight's game as long as we live. Every person who goes out of his or her way to post on this forum has a story. How and why they're a fan, going to games with friends and family, thrilling victories, and bitter defeats. And memories - we all have memories.

Everyone has a story, and that's mine for tonight.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your Dad. Sending a hug.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I might be cherry picking here, but that 4-0 against a clearly didn't want to be there Minnesota Wild, and the 6 goal output against Mike Smith, who sucks, are not indicative of this team.

They struggle, nightly, to score 3+ goals. Their depth is suspect.

That is simply not good enough for a team that realistically should be considered a contender.
They scored 3+ in 5 of the 8 games of the stretch you chose. Regardless of your trying to minimize their successes, they've won 6 of those 8, and are scoring at an above average pace. Do we need a couple of pieces to make the team better? Yes, definitely. But scoring in the last 8 games is not indicative of the problem. If anything, I'm hoping Sweeney doesn't look at the recent success and decide to stand pat.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They scored 3+ in 5 of the 8 games of the stretch you chose. Regardless of your trying to minimize their successes, they've won 6 of those 8, and are scoring at an above average pace. Do we need a couple of pieces to make the team better? Yes, definitely. But scoring in the last 8 games is not indicative of the problem. If anything, I'm hoping Sweeney doesn't look at the recent success and decide to stand pat.
They are 28th in the league in 5v5 scoring.

That is a problem.

They are far too reliant on PP production.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
On a MTL radio station announcer saying he's concerned i.e. Weber looked hurt or old and slow last night.
Other guy on radio said " he did not notice it ..." "Chara looks really slow"

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Something was up with Pasta. He was not himself for most of the game. No smiles . I hope he isn't injured.

Someone else said Bergeron looked hurt too.

I thought Backes looked hurt, only played 11:40 with no aggression. Miller only played 12:28, wonder what that fight took out of him.

Maybe its just that the Bruins usually look "hurt" against the Habs.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Still waiting for a reporter to ask him why they are using that umbrella on powerplay after leading League with 10 shorthanded goals and does he not see its far to risky?Love to hear his reply.

agreed, embarrassing how many shorties they have given up this year. Frustrating tilt, the boys didn`t start playing until the 3rd then ironically, it was the kid line who forced the DOG penalty with some terrific fore checking including Donato who forced the D man and Heinen who made a terrific hit on, I believe Benn to start it up.

You can`t play younger players and not expect ebbs and flows, it happens, haven`t liked JD`s game in recent week and a half, looks tired out there but it happens, Butch so quick to switch things up, he`s the opposite of Julien who was stubborn to make one in game change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad