Post-Game Talk: GAME 46 - Une frustrante défaite à domicile contre Montréal - Poutineville 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A little strange coincidence type thing: my father took me to my first game that year, it was game one of that same series against Buffalo. I was 11. You were at game 2.

He had a connection at his work and managed to get tickets for four or five games a year. We were in the loge, about 15 or so rows behind the Bruins net. I remember the Garden rocking to the chant of "Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Reg-gie!" like it was last night. Being at the Boston Garden with him watching the Bruins, those are the truly sacred memories.

Unbelievable. Very sacred memories, indeed...

My father died in 1991 and his best friend bought us tickets to the home opener that year. It was exciting to be there and see those 75th anniversary throwback uniforms, but it was incredibly hard not be able to share it with him, that's for sure. I've been a die hard fan all these years because of him.

Thanks for the memories, man.

Thank you for sharing YOUR memories. I was very moved by this.

Much love to you and yours.

Sending love right back to you.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Melnick’s GBU: Which came first, the momentum or the...

· Jeff Petry:
And I thought it was Gallagher who had the best hand-eye coordination on the team. “Good bloodline” is how Claude Julien put it after the game. As almost everybody knows by now, Jeff’s father Dan Petry had a very good career as a pitcher, mostly for the Detroit Tigers, before injuries took their toll and forced an early end to it at the age of 32. He was a workhorse on Detroit’s pitching staff, especially during a four-year stretch from 1982-85 when he pitched no fewer than 233 innings in a season. When the Tigers won the World Series in 1984, their staff was led by 19 game-winner Jack Morris. Petry won 18 games and Milt Wilcox won 17. Their bullpen was led by MVP and Cy Young award winner Willie Hernandez. But Dan Petry never got to pick up a bat until very late in his career during a brief stop with the Atlanta Braves in 1991 (no, he didn’t face the Expos). He went 1-for-5 for a career batting average of .200. Just like his dad, Jeff Petry is a workhorse on the Montreal blue line. In the biggest game of the season he logged over 25 minutes of ice time, or four minutes more than Shea Weber. And after his second consecutive overtime winner on the road, you could say he’s a better hitter than his father was. Maybe not quite Kirk Gibson or Lance Parrish, but to knock the puck out of mid-air like Petry did while on his backhand requires a special skill set. Kind of like a switch hitter. So, let’s go with Howard Johnson. And while we’re at it, here’s to you, Sparky Anderson.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Just got home from the game.

The biggest disappointment I feel tonight isn't that the Bruins lost. Or who they lost to. Or how they lost. It's that for the first time in my life, I can't discuss or talk about a game that I went to with my old man. My dad passed away last Tuesday night, and it's been a rough week/weekend.

Those of you who know me a little bit know how much my family means to me, and how much the Bruins are woven into the fabric of my family. Dad took me to my first game (Game 2 of the 1988 Adams Division Semi-Final vs. Buffalo) when I was 13 years old. He took my brothers and I to several other games when he could get tickets right behind the glass at ice-level. When I grew up and had my own job and my own money, I would take him. We could only afford one or two games a season, but the Bruins never once lost a game that dad came to with me. Not one. So many happy memories. Blowouts. Thrillers. Hat tricks. Fights. We saw it all as a family.

Dad also loved talking about the good old days of Bobby Orr, Derek Sanderson, and the rest of that gang. He really had a hard time keeping track of all the guys playing today ("and all these expansion teams!"), but he remembered the lineups and characters of yesteryear pretty well.

About a month ago he looked me right in the eye and said this would be his last Christmas. He was really sick, and as much as I didn't want to believe it, I knew it was the God's honest truth. So, for an early Christmas present I got him "If These Walls Could Talk" by Dale Arnold. Not a bad last Christmas present, right? Every day on the ride home from work I would call and ask him if he had read any of it during the day, but he was always feeling too lousy to sit and read anything. When he asked me if I wanted him to read it so badly so I could have it when he was done, I had to tell him that I really didn't care if I read it or not - I just wanted to hear him talk about the book. He never did read the book, and I'm not sure when I'll be ready to.

The sport of hockey in general and the Boston Bruins in particular has a way of touching lives and making memories. My wife and I went tonight and we'll never forget tonight's game as long as we live. Every person who goes out of his or her way to post on this forum has a story. How and why they're a fan, going to games with friends and family, thrilling victories, and bitter defeats. And memories - we all have memories.

Everyone has a story, and that's mine for tonight.

Your Dad sounds like he was a great guy.

My condolences to you and your family

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->