Have gained! Yes! Hesitated so—
This side the Victory! – Emily Dickinson

Winning is fun

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nothing to be negative about tonight. Quit trying to find anything tonight fellas.

Let's enjoy the W.

:)

Oh, I will. But again. Tippett finally seems to agree with us that McGinn and Holland are terrible. What I don't get is how they still make the lineup. Ryan White should be the 12th forward in every single game. If Tippett doesn't even trust Holland and McGinn for 10mins, which I fully understand, then he shouldn't dress them. As simple as that. Why wouldn't you play Dauphin and Jooris. The two are actually pretty good on the PK and way more reliable than McGinn and Holland.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Nothing to be negative about tonight. Quit trying to find anything tonight fellas.

Let's enjoy the W.

:)

Well considering this win puts us 17 points from the last playoff spot, excuse some of us for seeing the glass half empty. To be honest the brightest part of the game for me was the fact that our top deadline assets had solid games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Fischer not a star with his first NHL goal?

This is the same team that healthy scratched Turris in his NHL homecoming. They don't go for the warm and fuzzies unless Doan is somehow involved.

Also, this quote more or less applies today:
Well, they let their foot of the gas a bit, but they hung on (and it wasn't anything like the normal complete fade).
I'd give Tippett praise for having them ready to play and engaged for 4 of the past 6 periods, but if there's one thing I've learned from the forum this year, it's that the coaching staff is completely a nonfactor in player performance and engagement level. It's solely the players' job to show up and execute. So good work, guys.

EDIT: I just looked and our next game after that quote was our 0-7 shellacking put on by Pittsburgh...

On a positive note, I haven't looked at the box, but the kids seemed involved and I even noticed some special teams play for them. If we ignore the 3rd, everyone was skating and engaged. If we played 3 periods every night like that I wouldn't care about our record.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That got scary towards the end, blowing that lead would've been a new low. Hopefully the team that played in the first two periods shows up more often from here on out.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I mean, Tyson Nash played a little bit of hockey back in the day and he thought it was a clean hit.
I played at a decent level for a few years, and also think it was fine.

The "you've obviously never played" argument isn't a good one.

The never played comment pertains to the reaction, not whether or not the hit was clean.

My comment regarding the hit having could have easily been a boarding call was due to Hollands distance from the boards and the force of the hit. I think it would have been called had Hallam not been on the positive side of a non call seconds earlier.

Tyson has played a bit and if you look at his play it's easily understood why he thought it was clean and that's fine, it was boarderline - no argument, but f you can't understand Hollands reaction (right or wrong) you've never played anything of any significance.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes, the extra minutes for those two really increase the first lines production! :sarcasm:

:shakehead

Well, believe it or not...but as Cooper likes to go with 7 defensmen and therefore doubleshift his top forwards it's absolutely crucial to have at least two solid top units to lean on heavily. With forwards like Kucherov, Palat, Johnson or Drouin coming at you in pretty much any combination at any line it's very difficult to get the matchups you want. You just have to rely on top players to play heavy minutes. For once, Tippett did a good job.
The Dvorak line didn't score but they did have the puck an awful lot and they didn't allow too much despite playing quite a lot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It was a dick move. I don't like that kind of ****. It's the same thing as diving for a call or boarding in my book. I hate all that kind of stuff and don't like to see guys on my favorite team do them.

That.
...and you hurt your own team by taking penalties like that. A man would just take it and challenge the guy later in the game.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, believe it or not...but as Cooper likes to go with 7 defensmen and therefore doubleshift his top forwards it's absolutely crucial to have at least two solid top units to lean on heavily. With forwards like Kucherov, Palat, Johnson or Drouin coming at you in pretty much any combination at any line it's very difficult to get the matchups you want. You just have to rely on top players to play heavy minutes. For once, Tippett did a good job.
The Dvorak line didn't score but they did have the puck an awful lot and they didn't allow too much despite playing quite a lot.

Oh yes and it was quite instrumental in Bishop letting in three goals on 17 shots. :shakehead

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It was a dick move. I don't like that kind of ****. It's the same thing as diving for a call or boarding in my book. I hate all that kind of stuff and don't like to see guys on my favorite team do them.

Sure in hindsight.

Although also in hindsight the ensuing pk was pivitol in the win.

It's funny how so many want a teammate to stick up for another, but when I guy sticks up for himself (particularly if the op and a few others don't like him) it's frowned upon. It's honestly yet another laughable moment considering how often fans rail for retaliation on obviously clean hits.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sure in hindsight.

Although also in hindsight the ensuing pk was pivitol in the win.

It's funny how so many want a teammate to stick up for another, but when I guy sticks up for himself (particularly if the op and a few others don't like him) it's frowned upon. It's honestly yet another laughable moment considering how often fans rail for retaliation on obviously clean hits.

You once again missed the point. I stated that from the beginning when Holland joined. He's not dirty but he's weak. That was typical for him. Sucker punching somebody = sticking up for himself? A real man would have challenged the guy later in the game and beat the crap outta him. It's not like Palat is a great fighter or so. But what you cannot do is to sucker punch somebody...let alone after a clean hit. Also, that double minor could have cost the team two goals hadn't it been for the terrible bolts PP.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oh yes and it was quite instrumental in Bishop letting in three goals on 17 shots. :shakehead

Speaking of Bishop, anyone still want to trade for him or sign him as a UFA and get rid of Smith? Smith looks way better, we should keep him and forget Bishop.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

They surely had a bit of puck luck. But you still gotta be there to get that. They played a decent game and despite Smith having to face a lot of shots, they allowed very little high quality chances. No matter how you put it, it's well deserved...especially after they got robbed vs Minnesota.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Speaking of Bishop, anyone still want to trade for him or sign him as a UFA and get rid of Smith? Smith looks way better, we should keep him and forget Bishop.

Yep. I still take Bishop.

Where was Smith the previous 3 seasons of this deal? Let's not bias ourselves with recency effect.

Previous 3 years Bishop played over 60 games each season and put up a save percentage over .920. Smith had 2 seasons over 60 games in past 3 years with a 30 game season last year and a save percentage in the neighbourhood of .910 on average.

It's the constant injury carousel and timing of when he gets hot with Smith (usually when we have been eliminated).

Smith is good not great. He's having a very good season but he's just moved into the "we have to protect him because we have nobody else worth protecting" on my expansion protected list. Overpaid and injury prone with 2 years to go on a deal that I think we'd like to get out of.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad