GDT: Game 46: Lightning @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 6PM

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Yep.

Where was Smith the previous 3 seasons of this deal? Let's not bias ourselves with recency effect.

Bishop is playing on a stacked Tampa team though. Id take pretty much any of their players over ours, including Herman over OEL.

Let's not kid ourselves, Bishop is good, but I think Smith could look just as good behind that team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bishop is playing on a stacked Tampa team though. Id take pretty much any of their players over ours, including Herman over OEL.

Let's not kid ourselves, Bishop is good, but I think Smith could look just as good behind that team.

Tampa elected to walk away from Smith due to his play. I get your point though. I have a preference but I understand sticking with Smith for at least one more season after his play this year. Just hope we don't get another 3 week injury out of the gate next year.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Last night, particularly the first period I was sitting there thinking of how much it reminded me of 2011-12.
It seems nearly every home game I have hd this splitting headache..not last night.
Or going home and not being able to sleep....great feeling once again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great win and great coaching by Tippett. Gotta like the distribution of icetime. The only thing I will say is that if McGinn and Holland can't justify more icetime than Ryan White I'd rather have some role players in the lineup. Let's bring back Jooris and Dauphin.

Holland and Jooris are both waiver material. With Burmistrov on board I don't know if we need the other two. Jooris is better in the dot though. I have no idea why some are so hung up about ice time. Every game and situation is different.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yep. I still take Bishop.

Where was Smith the previous 3 seasons of this deal? Let's not bias ourselves with recency effect.

Previous 3 years Bishop played over 60 games each season and put up a save percentage over .920. Smith had 2 seasons over 60 games in past 3 years with a 30 game season last year and a save percentage in the neighbourhood of .910 on average.

It's the constant injury carousel and timing of when he gets hot with Smith (usually when we have been eliminated).

Smith is good not great. He's having a very good season but he's just moved into the "we have to protect him because we have nobody else worth protecting" on my expansion protected list. Overpaid and injury prone with 2 years to go on a deal that I think we'd like to get out of.

From the last 20 games or so of last year, through this year so far, Smith has been a solid goalie and better than Bishop. TB is a much better team in front of Bishop too, yet Smith has been better. They are pretty unhappy with Bishop in TB right now, have been for a while. The Coyotes on the other hand are very happy with Smith's play. I see the injury concerns with Smith, but Bishop is not the answer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nothing to be negative about tonight. Quit trying to find anything tonight fellas.

Let's enjoy the W.

Right on!

:)

Well considering this win puts us 17 points from the last playoff spot, excuse some of us for seeing the glass half empty. To be honest the brightest part of the game for me was the fact that our top deadline assets had solid games.

I could care less about pts. this year. We all knew this team would not be a contender this year, so I'm more focused on how the rookies are progressing.

No complaints from me tonight. Saw everything I wanted to.

Maybe next game we play Jooris instead of Holland. He's useless

I think Martinook and Dauphin are better than both.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I could care less about pts. this year. We all knew this team would not be a contender this year, so I'm more focused on how the rookies are progressing.

Yup. That's what rebuilding is all about. Hope to finish the year better than we started.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The never played comment pertains to the reaction, not whether or not the hit was clean.

My comment regarding the hit having could have easily been a boarding call was due to Hollands distance from the boards and the force of the hit. I think it would have been called had Hallam not been on the positive side of a non call seconds earlier.

Tyson has played a bit and if you look at his play it's easily understood why he thought it was clean and that's fine, it was boarderline - no argument, but f you can't understand Hollands reaction (right or wrong) you've never played anything of any significance.

I thought the hit was clean, and I also understand Holland's reaction. Getting hit that hard you get that adrenalin rush of just wanting to get back at the guy.:nod:
In my opinion it was the wrong time to do it, but I sure understand why he did it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This was a fun game to watch. Burmistrov seems to be the real deal. I think that this was his best game yet. Hanzal is the best part time center a team could wish for on its second line.

About Crouse: We need a thread with clips of all his missed opportunities. He can't score to save his life and I don't think that his play merits more than 4th line time. I counted two almost sure goals that Crouse botched last night. We can call it the Golden Opportunity thread. Unfortunately I don't have the requisite computer skills.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep. I still take Bishop.

Previous 3 years Bishop played over 60 games each season and put up a save percentage over .920. Smith had 2 seasons over 60 games in past 3 years with a 30 game season last year and a save percentage in the neighbourhood of .910 on average.

It's the constant injury carousel and timing of when he gets hot with Smith (usually when we have been eliminated).

Smith is good not great. He's having a very good season but he's just moved into the "we have to protect him because we have nobody else worth protecting" on my expansion protected list. Overpaid and injury prone with 2 years to go on a deal that I think we'd like to get out of.

I agree about Bishop. He is much better than what he is showing. Maybe all this constant trade rumors are getting to him? Smith's play at the moment is all star caliber, but I'm not sure he will or can keep this pace up for the rest of the year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Holland and Jooris are both waiver material. With Burmistrov on board I don't know if we need the other two. Jooris is better in the dot though. I have no idea why some are so hung up about ice time. Every game and situation is different.

Jooris almost exclusively played on the 4th line on the PK and I thought he did exactly what they asked him to do. He's a decent PK guy and useful in different situations and positions. Holland did get chances in different situations and always failed miserably.
I don't like our top offensive weapons or top prospects to log big minutes on the PK so I think that, especially with Martinook and Richardson out, players like Jooris or Dauphin are actually pretty important.

Of course, every game is different. Still. If a guy only plays around 10 minutes, he has to add something ( for example physically or PK) to your lineup or you better replace him. Holland and McGinn don't do that. As the coaches clearly lost trust in them, they need to go.
Dvorak, Crouse, Rieder and Hanzal played over 3mins on the PK. You can do that once, but you shouldn't repeat it. Even Fischer played 1:33 on the PK in his NHL debut.

McGinn and Holland gotta be at least 300% better. They have to kill penalties or at least be good enough to eat more minutes without getting destroyed. Otherwise they're useless and have to go. As simple as that. Dauphin and Jooris are solid 5vs5 and decent on the PK.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This was a fun game to watch. Burmistrov seems to be the real deal. I think that this was his best game yet. Hanzal is the best part time center a team could wish for on its second line.

About Crouse: We need a thread with clips of all his missed opportunities. He can't score to save his life and I don't think that his play merits more than 4th line time. I counted two almost sure goals that Crouse botched last night. We can call it the Golden Opportunity thread. Unfortunately I don't have the requisite computer skills.
Think we need a better sample size of Burmistrov....but so far, so good.

Re: Crouse, 67 goals in 3 years at Kingston....he's not a goal scorer....think we'll see him bounce between AHL and NHL next season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Waive McGinn and Holland, claim Miller off waivers and bring Dauphin back.
Miller is one of the best PK guys leaguewide. Terrific shot blocker and good guy. He isn't gonna complain even if he sits or doesn't get lots of minutes. In our situation a must claim.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Re: Crouse, 67 goals in 3 years at Kingston....he's not a goal scorer....think we'll see him bounce between AHL and NHL next season.

He was very young though, no? Also looks like he never really got a full season in and there's the whole Perlini thing. I agree on the second point regardless.

I don't see him as a 30 goal scorer or anything but if he can be a 15 goal guy within a few years who grows to 20ish that would be a pretty good deal.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
You once again missed the point. I stated that from the beginning when Holland joined. He's not dirty but he's weak. That was typical for him. Sucker punching somebody = sticking up for himself? A real man would have challenged the guy later in the game and beat the crap outta him. It's not like Palat is a great fighter or so. But what you cannot do is to sucker punch somebody...let alone after a clean hit. Also, that double minor could have cost the team two goals hadn't it been for the terrible bolts PP.

And now I finally get the point out of you: you don't like Holland, plain and simple. You might take note that not a single Bolt 'honorably" took the matter up with Holland.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I thought the hit was clean, and I also understand Holland's reaction. Getting hit that hard you get that adrenalin rush of just wanting to get back at the guy.:nod:
In my opinion it was the wrong time to do it, but I sure understand why he did it.

Sums it up perfectly, no matter how you feel about the hit.

The hypocracy of many who post here is surpassed only by politics

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And now I finally get the point out of you: you don't like Holland, plain and simple. You might take note that not a single Bolt 'honorably" took the matter up with Holland.

Of course. Why would I like an AHL player on the Coyotes roster? If he was useful in any way (I don't even care in which one) I wouldn't complain. He obviously isn't. He's just a warm body. Exactly like McGinn. Just a passenger. Even in our situation we don't need that. Rather add role players. I don't want Hanzal or Dvorak to play 3mins on the PK just because we got some useless bums in our lineup.

Sucker punches are something I don't wanna see though. This has nothing to do with Holland. Not even with hockey. Sucker punches are weak.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Of course. Why would I like an AHL player on the Coyotes roster? If he was useful in any way (I don't even care in which one) I wouldn't complain. He obviously isn't. He's just a warm body. Exactly like McGinn. Just a passenger. Even in our situation we don't need that. Rather add role players. I don't want Hanzal or Dvorak to play 3mins on the PK just because we got some useless bums in our lineup.

Sucker punchs are something I don't wanna see though. This has nothing to do with Holland. Not even with hockey. Sucker punches are weak.

You didn't want Vrbata either. Holland is sevicable enough especially in our situation. You have zero credibility with me.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You didn't want Vrbata either. Holland is sevicable enough especially in our situation. You have zero credibility with me.

No, I didn't. And I still don't want him because he's a bad allround player. That said, I'm not complaining because he actually does exactly what's expected.
Holland is "servicable enough"? Wow, what a statement. In what way again?
I have zero credibility? Wow, this really hurts coming from somebody who apparently likes sucker punches. Really. You should seriously think about your feelings towards Holland. It's somewhat alarming.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
No, I didn't. And I still don't want him because he's a bad allround player. That said, I'm not complaining because he actually does exactly what's expected.
Holland is "servicable enough"? Wow, what a statement. In what way again?
I have zero credibility? Wow, this really hurts coming from somebody who apparently likes sucker punches. Really. You should seriously think about your feelings towards Holland. It's somewhat alarming.

So alarming! :laugh:

No problem with it at all. Bobby Clarke is my favorite player of all time and while his slash on Kharlamov in the summit series was a low point and (believe it or not) absolutely not something I would do, it did exemplify fierce competitor caught in the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad