GDT: Game 46: Coyotes @ Blackhawks ~ 1/20/15 6:30 p.m. MST ~ FS Arizona

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You guys are reading more into Tipp's post game than was there.

OEL, Murphy, Stone, Samuelsson and Gormley will be here next year. Or at least most of them will be. Yandle isn't young so I left him off.

Chipchura, Moss, Crombeen and Erat won't be.

The defense was bad tonight. Basically the whole team was, but the 6 defensemen are part of that.

You can take Tipp's comments as him rationalizing why that first group made mistakes / etc while not making excuses for the second group.

Does anyone think Erat is getting traded in the next day or two? Because that's not why he's gotten scratched. He's gotten scratched because he doesn't do anything. Chip takes faceoffs. Crombeen fights. Moss and Rieder kill penalties. Lessio and McMillan hustle.

The defensemen comment can be construed as Tipp "making excuses" for them (because he'll need those guys next year) while not making excuses for the veterans (because he won't).

Disagree completely especially since this isn't the first time he's called out youth. If you need an excuse for the dmen say that it's hard to play good D when the puck is in your end for almost the entire game or just that the whole team was crappy. If you don't need the crappy vets next year all the more reason to blast them.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
How often does Tipp call anyone out publicly? Isn't "Not Just Mike" on the Tipp Wheel Of Excuses? Haven't seen that gif in a while ...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we do win McDavid, we get a number one C on an ELC. Does that give us enough cash to buy out Smith or send him off with Max retention? Especially with a top six LW also coming in on an ELC (Domi)?

Oh yeah, and they clearly need to fire the coach and the GM.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Again, SCREW TIPPETT.

In training camp, it was obvious - his veterans sucked. The kids outplayed them in EVERY GAME. I felt like a voice in the wilderness pointing this out.

Well, Tip, maybe - MAYBE - you should ask Jim Playfair why he hasn't been able to get the defense working right for TWO STRAIGHT SEASONS. I mean, the yawning sieve with the canyon-sized five-hole aside, ol' Jimmy hasn't done squat to make the defense any better - with or without the kids playing.

And if you hang the Hawks game on the kids, where did you hang the blame on the OTHER multitudinous lopsided losses this season?

Obviously, Tippett, you have no answers. :rant:

I didn't watch the game but just listened to DT's presser. He blamed the whole team not just the D. What he said about the D is true. He is playing the kids, like everyone wanted. If you think now is bad, wait till next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You guys are reading more into Tipp's post game than was there.

OEL, Murphy, Stone, Samuelsson and Gormley will be here next year. Or at least most of them will be. Yandle isn't young so I left him off.

Chipchura, Moss, Crombeen and Erat won't be.

The defense was bad tonight. Basically the whole team was, but the 6 defensemen are part of that.

You can take Tipp's comments as him rationalizing why that first group made mistakes / etc while not making excuses for the second group.

Does anyone think Erat is getting traded in the next day or two? Because that's not why he's gotten scratched. He's gotten scratched because he doesn't do anything. Chip takes faceoffs. Crombeen fights. Moss and Rieder kill penalties. Lessio and McMillan hustle.

The defensemen comment can be construed as Tipp "making excuses" for them (because he'll need those guys next year) while not making excuses for the veterans (because he won't).

Exactly.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Tip's comments on a night when the only goal was by a kid trying to figure things out are indicative of someone who either does not understand or is unwilling to admit the problems with this team. Give me talented kids that are learning the game and getting better each night out over untalented vets who are regressing and have no upside.

Run out the season with Maloney, Tip and Smith (Edit: and Erat, Chip, Crombeen, Moss, Korpi). Thank them all for the opportunity to draft McEichel and wish them well in their new career opportunities at the end of the year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe the Hawks have just a little more talent and didn't take us lightly:), Tip isn't Houdini, not this year anyway...

I have no idea what people expect. Most knew this team was a bubble team at best, and probably much worse. It wouldn't have mattered what players we played in the organization, we would be in the same boat.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
How often does Tipp call anyone out publicly? Isn't "Not Just Mike" on the Tipp Wheel Of Excuses? Haven't seen that gif in a while ...

He's now called out youth twice in the last few weeks, and iirc has called out doan yandle and other leaders in the past. He doesn't do it frequently, and I'd prefer if after last night he just stuck to putting it on everyone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Disagree completely especially since this isn't the first time he's called out youth. If you need an excuse for the dmen say that it's hard to play good D when the puck is in your end for almost the entire game or just that the whole team was crappy. If you don't need the crappy vets next year all the more reason to blast them.

I guess you hear what you want to hear. DT called out the entire team, not just the youth. I don't care if you are a rookie or a vet, if you don't play well you open yourself to criticism. You are in the NHL not pee wee, this is your job, so do it well or get blamed, just like any other job.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I didn't watch the game but just listened to DT's presser. He blamed the whole team not just the D. What he said about the D is true. He is playing the kids, like everyone wanted. If you think now is bad, wait till next year.

He called out the whole team and is playing kids like everyone wanted, and we suck like everyone thought we would. I don't get it?

Lets say we combined teams with the Hawks, how many Coyotes would make the active roster? OEL/Yandle/Doan/Bods/Vermette/Hanzal, but that is it. We would fill 1/3 of the forward/D roster. What this means is that the Hawks have 12 players on the active roster that have more talent than the coyotes 12 players. This is before we talk about Smith's poor play. Not sure what you guys expect Tip to do or say? This is our reality.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
He's now called out youth twice in the last few weeks, and iirc has called out doan yandle and other leaders in the past. He doesn't do it frequently, and I'd prefer if after last night he just stuck to putting it on everyone.
Do you have the video? Because I have to see this for myself. Sports talk radio has destroyed our brains and ruined our ability to distinguish between "making an observation" and "calling someone out."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do you have the video? Because I have to see this for myself. Sports talk radio has destroyed our brains and ruined our ability to distinguish between "making an observation" and "calling someone out."

:) Sad but true.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He called out the whole team and is playing kids like everyone wanted, and we suck like everyone thought we would. I don't get it?

Lets say we combined teams with the Hawks, how many Coyotes would make the active roster? OEL/Yandle/Doan/Bods/Vermette/Hanzal, but that is it. We would fill 1/3 of the forward/D roster. What this means is that the Hawks have 12 players on the active roster that have more talent than the coyotes 12 players. This is before we talk about Smith's poor play. Not sure what you guys expect Tip to do or say? This is our reality.

Your right. We do not have the talent to compete, it's that simple. In fact, we didn't have the talent to compete for the last number of years, and if Smith didn't stand on his head the year we went to the WCF's we would have missed the playoffs four years running. Now with stable ownership, and better drafting, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but not for a couple of more years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I don't care enough to go find it but iirc it was something along the lines of our leaders need to play better, then naming yandle doan and the others.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have no idea what people expect. Most knew this team was a bubble team at best, and probably much worse. It wouldn't have mattered what players we played in the organization, we would be in the same boat.

I think that's patently untrue. The exact opposite, in fact, is true.

Look at Dubnyk's stats versus Smith's. You're telling me that had Dubnyk had the bulk of starts we'd have been in the same boat?

The only way your assertion holds true is if we were boned from day 1 because of our coaching staff and system. I do think that Tippett's system is crushingly predictable and teams have had us figured out for years, but the sheer fact that we made the WCF one year and are lottery candidates in another with the same system pretty much guarantees that which players are iced makes the difference.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Your right. We do not have the talent to compete, it's that simple. In fact, we didn't have the talent to compete for the last number of years, and if Smith didn't stand on his head the year we went to the WCF's we would have missed the playoffs four years running. Now with stable ownership, and better drafting, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but not for a couple of more years.

Agreed. I do think we could be much better next year. I say that because Murphy/Gormley/Stone/Reider can get better, Domi/1st pick this year can help a lot, and a UFA signing this summer can help assuming we have a bigger budget. Signing or trading Vermette for assets could help too.

I am not doom and gloom at all, this is all part of the bottoming out process. The good news is that we have young guns coming up.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB

I've been saying ever since we resigned Smith we were doomed until his contract is up, and I stand by that.

I also was among those going into the season who fully expected us to be bottom 3.

In the one year where tanking could actually turn the franchise around, I'm ecstatic with our results so far. Everything really is going according to plan and I have no problem with that.

I have a problem when Tippet, who is known for being unfriendly to younger players, openly and aggressively bashes our "kid defensemen" and implies that they should not be learning the game in the NHL to the local media. If I'm Gormley and hear that, doesn't exactly make me feel like I want to listen from the goof and it doesn't sound like he's willing to teach or help me in anyway. Professional or not, the players don't respect Tippet and I don't blame them.

Let him finish the season so we lose more, but tell him to shut his mouth bashing the young D when he lobbied so hard to keep one goal Dave Moss our top right winger.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that's patently untrue. The exact opposite, in fact, is true.

Look at Dubnyk's stats versus Smith's. You're telling me that had Dubnyk had the bulk of starts we'd have been in the same boat?

The only way your assertion holds true is if we were boned from day 1 because of our coaching staff and system. I do think that Tippett's system is crushingly predictable and teams have had us figured out for years, but the sheer fact that we made the WCF one year and are lottery candidates in another with the same system pretty much guarantees that which players are iced makes the difference.

How many systems do you think hockey has? Every organization knows what system the other teams play. It's the talent you need to have to stop the other teams system. It's a chess game out there where coaches have to decide who plays where and who defends the best against the opponents players. DT is one of the best at doing this, and his record shows that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've been saying ever since we resigned Smith we were doomed until his contract is up, and I stand by that.

I also was among those going into the season who fully expected us to be bottom 3.

In the one year where tanking could actually turn the franchise around, I'm ecstatic with our results so far. Everything really is going according to plan and I have no problem with that.

I have a problem when Tippet, who is known for being unfriendly to younger players, openly and aggressively bashes our "kid defensemen" and implies that they should not be learning the game in the NHL to the local media. If I'm Gormley and hear that, doesn't exactly make me feel like I want to listen from the goof and it doesn't sound like he's willing to teach or help me in anyway. Professional or not, the players don't respect Tippet and I don't blame them.

Let him finish the season so we lose more, but tell him to shut his mouth bashing the young D when he lobbied so hard to keep one goal Dave Moss our top right winger.

Do you have a link that says DT bashed our kid defensemen. All I heard was he blamed the whole team. Where did you hear the players don't respect DT? All I have heard is that the players like playing for DT because he tells them like it is, no BS'ing around. DT a goof? :laugh: What next..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed. I do think we could be much better next year. I say that because Murphy/Gormley/Stone/Reider can get better, Domi/1st pick this year can help a lot, and a UFA signing this summer can help assuming we have a bigger budget. Signing or trading Vermette for assets could help too.

I am not doom and gloom at all, this is all part of the bottoming out process. The good news is that we have young guns coming up.

I hope your right, but I expect next year to be tough, but fun.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Do you have a link that says DT bashed our kid defensemen. All I heard was he blamed the whole team. Where did you hear the players don't respect DT? All I have heard is that the players like playing for DT because he tells them like it is, no BS'ing around. DT a goof? :laugh: What next..

Directly from Tippet's interview;

"Just look at the defensive core, you've got a bunch of kids that are learning how to play. It's a hard lesson when you're a defenseman trying to learn in this league."

Obviously the players aren't going to tell the media they don't like Tippet. If you can watch our lack of effort and performance and think the players still fully support and respect Tippet then we simply have to disagree because I don't see that. Lack of talent is one thing (which we are very guilty of) but that's not the only issue.

Tip's great with a vet team as we've seen. With a younger team pushing to get the next 17 year old phenom, he's the biggest goof around.

MP

Feb 8, 2008

"Just look at the defensive core, you've got a bunch of kids that are learning how to play. It's a hard lesson when you're a defenseman trying to learn in this league."
You make it sound like Tip is throwing the kids under the bus. Is he really, though? The breakdown here is that

A) even if they might be physically and mentally capable of playing in the NHL, call-ups require time to make the adjustment, and

B) it sucks when you're one of those call-ups, and you make a mistake that costs your team;

all of which seems fair enough. It goes without saying that SOMETHING is critically, colossally, catastrophically wrong here, and maybe Tippett's approach is part of the problem, but I don't see how the above amounts to "bashing" anybody.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Obviously the players aren't going to tell the media they don't like Tippet. If you can watch our lack of effort and performance and think the players still fully support and respect Tippet then we simply have to disagree because I don't see that. Lack of talent is one thing (which we are very guilty of) but that's not the only issue.

Tip's great with a vet team as we've seen. With a younger team pushing to get the next 17 year old phenom, he's the biggest goof around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad