GDT: Game 46: Coyotes @ Blackhawks ~ 1/20/15 6:30 p.m. MST ~ FS Arizona

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You make it sound like Tip is throwing the kids under the bus. Is he really, though? The breakdown here is that

A) even if they might be physically and mentally capable of playing in the NHL, call-ups require time to make the adjustment, and

B) it sucks when you're one of those call-ups, and you make a mistake that costs your team;

all of which seems fair enough. It goes without saying that SOMETHING is critically, colossally, catastrophically wrong here, and maybe Tippett's approach is part of the problem, but I don't see how the above amounts to "bashing" anybody.

I agree, and I think what he meant was that they are a bunch of kids learning and they had no help.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I agree, and I think what he meant was that they are a bunch of kids learning and they had no help.
I'll say that I'm glad that your previous post was apparently a mistake, and not a reflection of the state of your neurological condition.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Tippett (imo) just sounded like a frustrated coach. We can read all sorts of things into this and we all have opinions.

I think DT was telling it like it is, it's what he does. Many here don't seem to like that, either because they want to disagree, or because they think they know better? IDK, but I don't think he was calling out the youngsters. If anything, (in my mind, at the time I heard it) I felt he may be calling out GMDM.

Either way, look at it like this: PERHAPS he was telling everyone (to include and perhaps especially his young players) EXACTLY how it is. It's HARD to learn to play at this level at such young ages. It really shouldn't be that tough to hear and perhaps, just maybe it's his way of saying it's alright..... frustrating as hell (for coaches, players and fans), but alright and understandable.

I'm not trying to say DT's great, or even good with young players. I am saying he's having to deal with more than the normal amount of youth on a team and that he's obviously frustrated. He could be frustrated that he's not better at it, but I honestly don't see him blaming the youngsters at all. And he is in classic DT style - telling it like it is.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Directly from Tippet's interview;

"Just look at the defensive core, you've got a bunch of kids that are learning how to play. It's a hard lesson when you're a defenseman trying to learn in this league."

Obviously the players aren't going to tell the media they don't like Tippet. If you can watch our lack of effort and performance and think the players still fully support and respect Tippet then we simply have to disagree because I don't see that. Lack of talent is one thing (which we are very guilty of) but that's not the only issue.

Tip's great with a vet team as we've seen. With a younger team pushing to get the next 17 year old phenom, he's the biggest goof around.

There is no possible way you can tell that our performance on the ice means the players do not like or respect Tip. The players are not likely to tell the media, this is true. Tip has coached for a long time here and in Dallas, and there has never been a peep about him not being liked or respected. The only peep was about young guys in Dallas, took them 7 years to almost recover this years. If they had it to do over again, they would have kept him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippett (imo) just sounded like a frustrated coach. We can read all sorts of things into this and we all have opinions.

I think DT was telling it like it is, it's what he does. Many here don't seem to like that, either because they want to disagree, or because they think they know better? IDK, but I don't think he was calling out the youngsters. If anything, (in my mind, at the time I heard it) I felt he may be calling out GMDM.

Either way, look at it like this: PERHAPS he was telling everyone (to include and perhaps especially his young players) EXACTLY how it is. It's HARD to learn to play at this level at such young ages. It really shouldn't be that tough to hear and perhaps, just maybe it's his way of saying it's alright..... frustrating as hell (for coaches, players and fans), but alright and understandable.

I'm not trying to say DT's great, or even good with young players. I am saying he's having to deal with more than the normal amount of youth on a team and that he's obviously frustrated. He could be frustrated that he's not better at it, but I honestly don't see him blaming the youngsters at all. And he is in classic DT style - telling it like it is.

Yup. That's why the players like playing for DT because he tells them like it is.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
I think the frustration with Tip's comments is not that they are necessarily inaccurate but is an issue of emphasis. If I am going to call out players or subsets of players, I'm going to start with the veteran driftwood, the veteran goaltending, the veteran leadership and way down on the bottom of the list would I call out the kids.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think there were a fair amount of us that were worried when the prospects took it to the big team in that scrimmage, but you are right many just overlooked it.

Playing strong in one game is not equal to the grind of an NHL season. I think we can all agree that we have more talent in the youth ranks. Problem is one game does not reflect a season.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not just the loss it's the blaming of the young D core. They've had some inconsistent play yes, but overall our blue line has been miles better than our veteran forwards.

I doubt anyone was expecting a win, but when the whole team takes a crap like that and we hear that it's the evil young players fault...... Ugh pathetic.

In calling out the young players (which I don't think he was), he was possibly calling out the veterans in reality. Think about it - the vets know they are there to help the kids progress and if the don't perform (working their az's off on the forecheck, as an example), they know they are letting the kids down. I don't imagine any of them are wanting to regress the lad's development.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Playing strong in one game is not equal to the grind of an NHL season. I think we can all agree that we have more talent in the youth ranks. Problem is one game does not reflect a season.

You have a point, and while I disagree and think that if you earn a spot you should keep it until you don't deserve it anymore, I wasn't even arguing that so much pointing out that many of us saw this coming.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
In calling out the young players (which I don't think he was), he was possibly calling out the veterans in reality. Think about it - the vets know they are there to help the kids progress and if the don't perform (working their az's off on the forecheck, as an example), they know they are letting the kids down. I don't imagine any of them are wanting to regress the lad's development.
That's a pretty big jump and if he meant that he could've said it.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
You have a point, and while I disagree and think that if you earn a spot you should keep it until you don't deserve it anymore, I wasn't even arguing that so much pointing out that many of us saw this coming.

We sure did. I honestly believe we would be watching the same thing had we gone with even more youth, but we'd really be risking hurting their development.

I feel like they sacrificed not only Ribs & Vrbata, but my dollars (having upped for two seasons) and was irritated as hell. As the losses have piled up, I've changed my thinking and have looked to the future.... with patience.

I also honestly think we could have competed this year, had it not been for the moves this summer, but they went another route and may just get what they were after.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That's a pretty big jump and if he meant that he could've said it.

Well, like I said: I don't think he was calliing out the lads, but somehow (in my strange mind) if it was directed at the vets.... it would have more emphasis this way - through the press.

Just spitballing thoughts.

Either way DT was frustrated as heck.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We sure did. I honestly believe we would be watching the same thing had we gone with even more youth, but we'd really be risking hurting their development.

I feel like they sacrificed not only Ribs & Vrbata, but my dollars (having upped for two seasons) and was irritated as hell. As the losses have piled up, I've changed my thinking and have looked to the future.... with patience.

I also honestly think we could have competed this year, had it not been for the moves this summer, but they went another route and may just get what they were after.
If we rushed a few who weren't ready yes, having at least reider and hodge up from the get go would've been fine though, Hodge is older, and reider has thrived despite the crap show around him.
Well, like I said: I don't think he was calliing out the lads, but somehow (in my strange mind) if it was directed at the vets.... it would have more emphasis this way - through the press.

Just spitballing thoughts.

That he was, and should be.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

That's fine. I don't expect him to be cool with losing. But he shouldn't flash anger so much publicly. That gets old for the fans and for the players. It's a young team, a bad goalie, and Chicago. The result is about what everyone expected.

I mainly see some leering at Maloney in Tippett's comments. Which is why reporters should be asking Tippett how competitive he expects a young, retooling team to be.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That's fine. I don't expect him to be cool with losing. But he shouldn't flash anger so much publicly. That gets old for the fans and for the players. It's a young team, a bad goalie, and Chicago. The result is about what everyone expected.

I mainly see some leering at Maloney in Tippett's comments. Which is why reporters should be asking Tippett how competitive he expects a young, retooling team to be.

My initial thougt was htat he was calling out GMDM more so than the players.

Maybe I'm not seeing his presser's often enough, but have not felt he's been angry. In fact I thought (even though we've seen him frustrated before) that this was perhaps the most frustrated (not angy imo) he's been to date.

Good question - perhaps you should be a reporter? :)

No more softballs!

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
I just wondering if anyone else thinks it might be a little harder these days for GMDM to pull rabbits out of his hat. I would assume by this point when trades are mentioned they look over his record and try not to be burned while other teams might be looking at who hes after and seeing if maybe they couldnt recondition/rehab the players and cut him out. just my $0.02 but once bitten twice shy ,no?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maloney is conservative by nature and slow to act. Darcy is the same way. Two peas in a pod, hardly doing anything.

The Jokinen trade is his all time most ambitious, right? How many years ago was that? Am I missing other ones? Two expendable D and a pick for a good bet at a top center. Good trade at the time. Too bad Jokinen was a cancer. The 2010 deadline was pretty good, I guess. Picked off Klesla for nothing. Picked off Vermette for nothing. Teams should be catching on if they haven't already.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

We aren't really a young team compared to the rest of the nhl.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We aren't really a young team compared to the rest of the nhl.

The D are, the forwards will be getting much younger post trade deadline and next year. Part of me thinks the whole "learning to play the game" bit is a half slam from Tippett, a guy that doesn't believe in development at the NHL level. Way too much posturing from him and not enough frank acceptance of what's going on.

I immediately thought of McKenzie's comments regarding Tippett and the direction of the team after seeing that presser. Might be something to it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The D are, the forwards will be getting much younger post trade deadline and next year. Part of me thinks the whole "learning to play the game" bit is a half slam from Tippett, a guy that doesn't believe in development at the NHL level. Way too much posturing from him and not enough frank acceptance of what's going on.

I immediately thought of McKenzie's comments regarding Tippett and the direction of the team after seeing that presser. Might be something to it.

Good to know you meant after the TDL and next year, there's been a few comments about our team being young as an excuse and we're definitely not.

Agreed on the tip comments. Even though McKenzie was only speculating, his concerns about it are very telling. It's not just us uniformed internet folk worried about it, McKenzie who is a reliable hockey journalist is talking about it.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not surprised by the comments but does anyone here honesty expect for someone in management to say the team is tanking or give hints of it? You do know tanking is illegal though other teams do it without any evidence showing a team is tanking, right? Again, tanking is an overused term and it's being used more than ever because of what the prize is at seasons end and that prize may not ever turnout to be by those who see the next top 2 picks as someone who is bigger than any religious figure or even bigger than the greats of the game for that matter.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tanking is a stupid term. When you're clearly out of the race and painted into a corner with your only hope for survival being cheap, productive ELCs, it's just good common sense to sell off the older expensive pieces and hope for the best. That's not really tanking, it's just trying to mitigate long term agony. A mercy kill.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Tanking is a stupid term. When you're clearly out of the race and painted into a corner with your only hope for survival being cheap, productive ELCs, it's just good common sense to sell off the older expensive pieces and hope for the best. That's not really tanking, it's just trying to mitigate long term agony. A mercy kill.

I agree it's not tanking...it's building for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad