GDT: Game 46: Coyotes @ Blackhawks ~ 1/20/15 6:30 p.m. MST ~ FS Arizona

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let's not make any hypotheticals about what Laviolette could or couldn't do for this team. This is on DM, whether he is blinded by Tipp's advocacy for vets or him wanting to get McDavid.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm on the fence with Tippet. But this quote isn't makes me less of a fan no matter how much truth there is in it, it's not encouraging for the kids.

Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz 21m21 minutes ago Tempe, AZ
Tippett: "Just look at the defensive corps. You've got a bunch of kids that are learning how to play."

:laugh: Yes the issue is our young D core not the abhorrent forwards they play with. Reminds me of a few games back when he was asked about inconsistency with special teams and immediately replied that we have a lot of young players up.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm on the fence with Tippet. But this quote isn't makes me less of a fan no matter how much truth there is in it, it's not encouraging for the kids.

Tippett: "Just look at the defensive corps. You've got a bunch of kids that are learning how to play."

That's such a dick move. What's his deal with blaiming everything on youth? How often did he blast Morris last year? How often does he call out Z for moving at a turtle's pace and having no idea how to hit the net?

DT can get the **** out.

How's Moss (our best RW) doing this year? What did he do today? How about Chip? One of the worst players in the NHL. Nothing about his play? Nothing about Vermy's multiple over dangles that just turned into scoring chances the other way? What a ******.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Tippet lost this team 3 years ago. The players no longer fear him, respect him, nor respond to him. OEL's plus minus is the consummate indication. OEL once cared about the defensive game, now he says **** it, tank job is on, I'm gonna go out and try to score as many goals as I can and watch my plus-minus blow up in the process.

I'm just surprised Tippet doesn't show more pride and just step down himself. What's the point of this fiasco? Does he seriously want a tank job on his resume? We know at least the Don is going to escape with a top-3 pick and a few extra bucks to spend from Barroway's wallet. But Tippet? What does he gain other than more grey hair and an egg on his face.
I wouldn't say he fully lost the team 3 years ago but it's been getting worse each year. I think tip honestly thinks the way out of this is to keep relying on talent deficient vets no matter how much they suck.

Disagree on OEL, he's still playing great D imo, but I put next to no stock in + -.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I wonder what DT will do next year when we have multiple young forwards in the lineup?

Will he simply put everything on them night in and night out, because I think this is the second time he's said something along the lines of our D being young in the last week or so.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder what DT will do next year when we have multiple young forwards in the lineup?

Will he simply put everything on them night in and night out, because I think this is the second time he's said something along the lines of our D being young in the last week or so.

If he's the coach I'm not sure it's when unless maloney is forcing them in. If that's the case then yeah I bet we see a lot of blame heading their way.

I don't know if we're thinking of the same previous quote but like I said earlier in the thread when they asked about inconsistent special teams play he replied with we have a lot of young players up.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's such a dick move. What's his deal with blaiming everything on youth? How often did he blast Morris last year? How often does he call out Z for moving at a turtle's pace and having no idea how to hit the net?

DT can get the **** out.

How's Moss (our best RW) doing this year? What did he do today? How about Chip? One of the worst players in the NHL. Nothing about his play? Nothing about Vermy's multiple over dangles that just turned into scoring chances the other way? What a ******.

Agree 100%. The **** coming out of his pie hole is unacceptable anymore. I fully believe his problem with youth is he just doesn't want to put in the time and effort to teach them and develop their talents. I will be shocked if our new owner can go into next year with an even younger roster being coached by someone with the attitude Tippett brings every day.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Agree 100%. The **** coming out of his pie hole is unacceptable anymore. I fully believe his problem with youth is he just doesn't want to put in the time and effort to teach them and develop their talents. I will be shocked if our new owner can go into next year with an even younger roster being coached by someone with the attitude Tippett brings every day.

You know, Babcock came out and said that, last year when they barely made the playoffs, he was used to coaching veterans and actually had to adjust his coaching to be more about teaching because he would yell at his young guys, and realize they didn't even know what mistake they made or how to fix it. So he changed, and they played better.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

But we'll be the oilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On Michalek: Didn't play tonight but could've went. Decided to rest him tonight and then for a week with the all-star break.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You know, Babcock came out and said that, last year when they barely made the playoffs, he was used to coaching veterans and actually had to adjust his coaching to be more about teaching because he would yell at his young guys, and realize they didn't even know what mistake they made or how to fix it. So he changed, and they played better.

859b6ffd06d4263edb119445918017ee.jpg

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Lucas, this is the best part of my job. I live for these moments, here is the puck from your first career NHL goal. I'm sure that's going up on the mantle. Right next to the Tragically Hip records on your mantle. All Canadians have Tragically Hip records on their mantles, do they not? Right next to pucks? The Canadians don't have the New York Yankees, though. The most storied, and beautiful franchise in sports history. Lucas, you look like you could play for the Yankees. What position would you play for the Yankees? And which instrument for the Tragically Hip? And how much does this team miss Chris Summers right now?

****! You are writing script for Walshie, aren't you?! :sarcasm:

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
If we get McEichel I don't want Tippet coming within a country mile of them. He can get out and take Moss with him.

Also we should probably stop healthy scratching players we're trying to trade, and trade the only good one (Vermette) before he breaks himself. Get off your ass DM.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Screw Tippett. I wonder if he noticed while he was blaming the kids that his favorite sons on the fourth line were the ones with all the minuses tonight. No, of course he didn't, because he thinks that Mike Smith is a great goalie who is being let down by young players who shouldn't be learning their craft at the NHL level HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH :help:

Also, I'm suddenly frightened to death that Maloney is going to build a team that's just as bad as this one with a new group of castoffs and pylons next season after his current group mercifully expires from the roster.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Formerly was on the fence. Am not anymore. **** this guy.

Important context:
Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz · 2h 2 hours ago
Dave Tippett just sounded like a coach at wit's end with the roster he's been dealt.

Why does Dave Tippett still expect to be winning every night? Why is he not in full on teacher mode at this point? Ownership gave him a vote of confidence and he's sitting there pouting. What's on the line? His legacy?

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Lol @ Tippett. He had plenty of influence on the roster that was "dealt" to him, so he has no right to blame everything on Maloney.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Lol @ Tippett. He had plenty of influence on the roster that was "dealt" to him, so he has no right to blame everything on Maloney.

Pizza goalie thinks it's just all in the effort:

Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan · 1h 1 hour ago
Smith: "It was almost like we were on break before break started."

Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan · 1h 1 hour ago
Smith: "To come out with an effort like that after losing five in a row is pretty pitiful."

No wonder Doan looks like he's mentally 3,000 miles away whenever they interview him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Again, SCREW TIPPETT.

In training camp, it was obvious - his veterans sucked. The kids outplayed them in EVERY GAME. I felt like a voice in the wilderness pointing this out.

Well, Tip, maybe - MAYBE - you should ask Jim Playfair why he hasn't been able to get the defense working right for TWO STRAIGHT SEASONS. I mean, the yawning sieve with the canyon-sized five-hole aside, ol' Jimmy hasn't done squat to make the defense any better - with or without the kids playing.

And if you hang the Hawks game on the kids, where did you hang the blame on the OTHER multitudinous lopsided losses this season?

Obviously, Tippett, you have no answers. :rant:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe the Hawks have just a little more talent and didn't take us lightly:), Tip isn't Houdini, not this year anyway...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Again, SCREW TIPPETT.

In training camp, it was obvious - his veterans sucked. The kids outplayed them in EVERY GAME. I felt like a voice in the wilderness pointing this out.

Well, Tip, maybe - MAYBE - you should ask Jim Playfair why he hasn't been able to get the defense working right for TWO STRAIGHT SEASONS. I mean, the yawning sieve with the canyon-sized five-hole aside, ol' Jimmy hasn't done squat to make the defense any better - with or without the kids playing.

And if you hang the Hawks game on the kids, where did you hang the blame on the OTHER multitudinous lopsided losses this season?

Obviously, Tippett, you have no answers. :rant:
I think there were a fair amount of us that were worried when the prospects took it to the big team in that scrimmage, but you are right many just overlooked it.

Maybe the Hawks have just a little more talent and didn't take us lightly:), Tip isn't Houdini, not this year anyway...

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not just the loss it's the blaming of the young D core. They've had some inconsistent play yes, but overall our blue line has been miles better than our veteran forwards.

I doubt anyone was expecting a win, but when the whole team takes a crap like that and we hear that it's the evil young players fault...... Ugh pathetic.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not just the loss it's the blaming of the young D core. They've had some inconsistent play yes, but overall our blue line has been miles better than our veteran forwards.

I doubt anyone was expecting a win, but when the whole team takes a crap like that and we hear that it's the evil young players fault...... Ugh pathetic.
You guys are reading more into Tipp's post game than was there.

OEL, Murphy, Stone, Samuelsson and Gormley will be here next year. Or at least most of them will be. Yandle isn't young so I left him off.

Chipchura, Moss, Crombeen and Erat won't be.

The defense was bad tonight. Basically the whole team was, but the 6 defensemen are part of that.

You can take Tipp's comments as him rationalizing why that first group made mistakes / etc while not making excuses for the second group.

Does anyone think Erat is getting traded in the next day or two? Because that's not why he's gotten scratched. He's gotten scratched because he doesn't do anything. Chip takes faceoffs. Crombeen fights. Moss and Rieder kill penalties. Lessio and McMillan hustle.

The defensemen comment can be construed as Tipp "making excuses" for them (because he'll need those guys next year) while not making excuses for the veterans (because he won't).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad