GDT: Game 46: Coyotes @ Blackhawks ~ 1/20/15 6:30 p.m. MST ~ FS Arizona

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Vermette, Erat, Z out and Summers, Lessio, Hodgman in won't be a huge drop off anyways. Get it done.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Good to know you meant after the TDL and next year, there's been a few comments about our team being young as an excuse and we're definitely not.

Depends on how you look at it. We're most certainly young in the critical area of defense. Combine that with the atrocious forward group and I'd say you can make a case for young.... even if the overall stat says otherwise.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Depends on how you look at it. We're most certainly young in the critical area of defense. Combine that with the atrocious forward group and I'd say you can make a case for young.... even if the overall stat says otherwise.

I'd agree that which position they play would matter if our young dmen were playing poorly or inconsistently. They have easily been our best unit though. Even if that were the case though it I still wouldn't call us young, we aren't even in the bottom half for average age. Using youth as an excuse when we aren't even in the bottom half of the league is silly.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'd agree that which position they play would matter if our young dmen were playing poorly or inconsistently. They have easily been our best unit though.

Which further proves what I believe is both of our understanding that the problem is up front and only adds to the stress (if you will) that it puts on the back end.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Which further proves what I believe is both of our understanding that the problem is up front and only adds to the stress (if you will) that it puts on the back end.

Definitely, I was just clarifying that the young team excuse doesn't work.

Edit: not saying you were pushing that excuse but others were previously.

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Definitely, I was just clarifying that the young team excuse doesn't work.

Edit: not saying you were pushing that excuse but others were previously.

Understood.

My stance and diagreement I have with some is in regard to any resentment that we're not younger up front. If we were, it would not only be ugly, but a detriment to both the front and back ends.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
It's tanking if it was arranged in the summer. No?

Is this debate of whether it *is* or isn't tanking not a distinction without a difference?

In my book a team that is clearly out of the playoff race is smart to try and improve its odds at drafting higher and obtaining the best possible talent to turn its fortunes around. I am really not sure why it seems so frowned upon?!

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Is this debate of whether it *is* or isn't tanking not a distinction without a difference?

In my book a team that is clearly out of the playoff race is smart to try and improve its odds at drafting higher and obtaining the best possible talent to turn its fortunes around. I am really not sure why it seems so frowned upon?!

If you are a player, your leverage in contract negotiations is going to be your past performance. If your stats take a hit, so will your future earnings. The team, being made up of players that are going to be looking after their own interests, makes "tanking" at that level difficult. How could you get the buy in of the individual players? The GM can give the coach enough low quality players that they won't be able to compete, but they will still be trying to do their best in the hopes that they'll impress someone enough to get picked up next year. I guess Chip, Moss and Korpi could advertise themselves as a "Washington Generals" type of 4th line to a team that knows it needs to retool.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's really only two players fighting for contracts, and one of them just went down with a spleen injury. Gormley will probably get a Stone style bridge contract.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
There's really only two players fighting for contracts, and one of them just went down with a spleen injury. Gormley will probably get a Stone style bridge contract.

Guess Smith is proof you only need the previous year to be good to get paid. Forget what I posted before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->