GDT: Game 45: Phoenix Coyotes @ Winnipeg Jets 1-13-14| 6PM | FSA +

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
We miss a few players, we are a team without a high talent offense but completely devoid of any kind of "shutdown" line. I would honestly say all four of our forward lines are, at best, average defensively. So we are stuck at an impasse right now of being a team that is having trouble scoring but also unable to stop the other teams from scoring.

Great post, I think you nailed it with that analysis of our offence.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I know it has been said before but Turris is a good player. Wish we did have him on the team minus the attitude. Only reason I do not like him is because of how he demanded out.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
When you have top talent, you don't need to screw around with shutdown lines.

see: Chicago

And we would have an awesome shutdown line if we didn't have to spread the shutdown players across 4 lines to fill holes they are not good at.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
There was not a single person on this board who liked the Smith deal. We were neutral at best.

It's sad to think Smith wanted even more than what GMDM gave him.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Why was he fired?

I'm not sure where you are going with this exactly. I used to spend a lot of time of the BJ's board here and remember those days well. Many BJ fans at the time were saying that the team had quit on Hitchcock. He wanted hard work and accountability and the team was flat out lazy and not plugged in at the time. Hitchcock was tuned out and more player friendly coaches like Claude Noel and then Scott Arneil were brought in, both were disasters.

Phoenician

Jul 3, 2013
Phoenix
On to the next one.

Cheers, looking forward to tomorrow to see if we come out different. For those going on Thursday, anyone in or around section 224?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not sure where you are going with this exactly. I used to spend a lot of time of the BJ's board here and remember those days well. Many BJ fans at the time were saying that the team had quit on Hitchcock. He wanted hard work and accountability and the team was flat out lazy and not plugged in at the time. Hitchcock was tuned out and more player friendly coaches like Claude Noel and then Scott Arneil were brought in, both were disasters.

I was responding to another of WJF posts where he said Hitchcock is a much better coach than DT.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
I'm embarrassed by this team's play. But the memories some of you have... they are atrociously short. I'm more embarrassed by some of the lunacy on this board. Am I the only one who doesn't think this thing is done?

AND another thing... 6 months after we begged for a coaching and GM deal, we are a few points out of the most competitive WC ever after we go on a horrendous 6 week slide, with a roster few thought would get us in the top 4-6, and you want to blow it up? Fire everyone. Trade the lot. Do you know what its like to buy season tickets through a rebuild? Anyone else a STH here who wants to pay to see that? I sure as hell don't. You think that gets us a team in the 6th year?

On a lighter note, I blame Tricia. Since you stopped sitting in 214, we haven't won! What gives? Coincidence?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Ribs needs a triggerman. Doan is not a triggerman.
Doan would be great on the 3rd line and PP.
For the first time I have had second thoughts about Yandle.
Stone needs to go. Schlemko too. Murphy can handle the 3rd pairing.
The Czechs needs a playmaker.
The 4th line...I don't even know where to begin.

I can't see this being an issue with DT though. I just can't. The team looks awkward on paper and has all year. The D pairings have not been consistent all year. Ribs has played on the 1st and 3rd line as both a center and forward. On top of all of this the Yotes have had some major injuries and are in a slump. The season began with every bounce going their way. Now it is the opposite. It will balance out and they will hover around the 10th-6th spot in the conference.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Since the WCF GMDM was told over and over again. We Need Scorers! Seen Any? We did sign Smith to that contract. I do remember reading every other day about this player or that player. And the comment "Oh Yeah Great Fourth Liner". But Still No Scorer! And We're in Cap Hell. But I'm told GMDM is The Best In the Game!

Of course if we had scorers, we would have won 6-5 tonight, right? The problem is too high of a GAA not lack of scoring...

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Ribs needs a triggerman. Doan is not a triggerman.
Doan would be great on the 3rd line and PP.
For the first time I have had second thoughts about Yandle.
Stone needs to go. Schlemko too. Murphy can handle the 3rd pairing.
The Czechs needs a playmaker.
The 4th line...I don't even know where to begin.

I can't see this being an issue with DT though. I just can't. The team looks awkward on paper and has all year. The D pairings have not been consistent all year. Ribs has played on the 1st and 3rd line as both a center and forward. On top of all of this the Yotes have had some major injuries and are in a slump. The season began with every bounce going their way. Now it is the opposite. It will balance out and they will hover around the 10th-6th spot in the conference.

Good post. And a reasonable conclusion. We are playing worse than we are. At the beginning of the season we played above our skill. Disagree on second guessing Yands, but that's probably implied. As horrific as his 2014 has been, he was one of our best players throughout 2013. I'm hoping we see a return to form. Hes also been on the forefront of discussing the teams issues. And I thought him talking about the problems in his own game was refreshing.

And ZZ is right. Don't be embarrassed to be a fan of this team. We all went through the worst fan experience anyone could imagine. We stuck it out.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Good post. And a reasonable conclusion. We are playing worse than we are. At the beginning of the season we played above our skill. Disagree on second guessing Yands, but that's probably implied. As horrific as his 2014 has been, he was one of our best players throughout 2013. I'm hoping we see a return to form. Hes also been on the forefront of discussing the teams issues. And I thought him talking about the problems in his own game was refreshing.

And ZZ is right. Don't be embarrassed to be a fan of this team. We all went through the worst fan experience anyone could imagine. We stuck it out.

Are you really Yandles mom?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I was responding to another of WJF posts where he said Hitchcock is a much better coach than DT.

Style wise, they are quite similar, actually. Well, Hitchcock started this type of system for the Stars, more or less.

Hitchcock, however, has been able to consistently integrate young players into the line-up and give them opportunity to play well. He did it in Dallas with the likes of Lehtinen, Langenbrunner, Morrow, etc; in Phillie with Williams, Sharp, Carter, Richards, etc; in Columbus with Nash, Tuytin, Methot, Brassard, Hejda, etc; and in St. Louis with Schwartz, Tarasenko, Sobotka, Cole, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, etc. I think pretty much all of them are 1st or 2nd year players when Hitchcock was there. I don't think DT has proven to have the same ability to develop young players.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Style wise, they are quite similar, actually. Well, Hitchcock started this type of system for the Stars, more or less.

Hitchcock, however, has been able to consistently integrate young players into the line-up and give them opportunity to play well. He did it in Dallas with the likes of Lehtinen, Langenbrunner, Morrow, etc; in Phillie with Williams, Sharp, Carter, Richards, etc; in Columbus with Nash, Tuytin, Methot, Brassard, Hejda, etc; and in St. Louis with Schwartz, Tarasenko, Sobotka, Cole, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, etc. I think pretty much all of them are 1st or 2nd year players when Hitchcock was there. I don't think DT has proven to have the same ability to develop young players.

Yes, excellent point.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I'm embarrassed by this team's play. But the memories some of you have... they are atrociously short. I'm more embarrassed by some of the lunacy on this board. Am I the only one who doesn't think this thing is done?

AND another thing... 6 months after we begged for a coaching and GM deal, we are a few points out of the most competitive WC ever after we go on a horrendous 6 week slide, with a roster few thought would get us in the top 4-6, and you want to blow it up? Fire everyone. Trade the lot. Do you know what its like to buy season tickets through a rebuild? Anyone else a STH here who wants to pay to see that? I sure as hell don't. You think that gets us a team in the 6th year?

On a lighter note, I blame Tricia. Since you stopped sitting in 214, we haven't won! What gives? Coincidence?

I'm a STH and I'm seeing it now. The trouble is the team is not admitting it. WCF Then out of the playoffs. Do You really think they are going to the playoff's this Year?
Please! If by some slim chance the make it. They will be knock out in the first round. Sorry its how I see it. I pay because I'm a hockey fan. This is the third team I've had season tickets with. I have lived in Boston and Tampa Now here. But this team is rebuilding. I'm sorry You don't see it. What I'm afraid of is they don't see it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Disagree on second guessing Yands, but that's probably implied. As horrific as his 2014 has been, he was one of our best players throughout 2013.

He was our best player when Z and Doan were out before the Olympic snub. Not so much second guessing his performance. Rather second guessing where he fits and whether or not the return on him is greater than what he brings to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad