GDT: Game 45: Phoenix Coyotes @ Winnipeg Jets 1-13-14| 6PM | FSA +

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
[QUOTE=BUX7PHX;77988093]I agree, but you kind of switch topics here - is this about Smith performing better, or needing a Crosby type to mount a comeback?

We have shown that we can score. We have not shown that we can prevent scoring. Look at the goals from last night's game - the 4th goal was awful on Smith's part. But the remaining 4 goals? All came from between the circles. The only defense our goalie has is to do the best to prevent shots from going in. He can't control where those shots are coming from. That is for our defense to do.

Smith has played 223 more minutes than he did last year. He has seen 235 more shots than last year. In 2011-12, he had 2066 shots in 3903 minutes. He has played 2179 minutes this year and seen 1173 shots. About the same number of shots per minute (.538 vs .529). So why has his save percentage fallen? Quality of shots faced is the huge story.[/QUOTE]

Referencing the first bolded part the answer is one or the other. We have a low scoring defensive type squad at least that's how Tippett like to play. Our talent is very mediocre so Smith has to play very well for us to win. It's really that simple until we bring in higher end talent.

As for quality of shots? I disagree. Remember when Smith stole the playoff round against the Hawks? He stool on his head. Talk about quality shots.
Right now he's struggling with some very makeable saves game after game. He's really fighting it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The reason we dont fight back is we dont have that kind of lineup. We have a soft team which is an MO of Tippett. He doesnt like fighting. But when you're behind you have to show some balls which we have very little. Take big Michael Stone. He had that big hit on the Jet and then immediatly looked like he wanted to jump into a hole in the ice knowing what's coming. Outside of Biz and Morris last nights lineup was soft, again Tippett's style.

As for having so many shots against and proof that we dont block that many it's simply ridiculous. We have a lot of shots against because we are getting outplayed game after game.

And your last point about us being "less mobile"??? We have a very mobile team and it would be very lead footed if you brought in Rozsival who along with Aucoion are way over the hill. Aucoin is retired too I believe. More mobile usually means less physical which the Coyotes defense is in spades.

I can agree with the last sentence, but we are chasing the puck an awful lot in our defensive zone. If we are more mobile, then we would be able to chase down and close the gaps and lanes. More mobility on our end does lead to us getting bumped off the puck, but clearly our mobility is hurting us in more ways than just not being physical. It's either that, or we are less mobile than what is to be believed.

I'm not saying we have to drop the gloves whenever we get out-muscled. I am saying that we can't be wilting flowers when the game gets tough. That's why this is difficult, too, b/c the last 3 years with Tippett, we have been built on having that mentality to equal the opponent's aggression when needed. I don't know if we have that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
[QUOTE=BUX7PHX;77988093]I agree, but you kind of switch topics here - is this about Smith performing better, or needing a Crosby type to mount a comeback?

We have shown that we can score. We have not shown that we can prevent scoring. Look at the goals from last night's game - the 4th goal was awful on Smith's part. But the remaining 4 goals? All came from between the circles. The only defense our goalie has is to do the best to prevent shots from going in. He can't control where those shots are coming from. That is for our defense to do.

Smith has played 223 more minutes than he did last year. He has seen 235 more shots than last year. In 2011-12, he had 2066 shots in 3903 minutes. He has played 2179 minutes this year and seen 1173 shots. About the same number of shots per minute (.538 vs .529). So why has his save percentage fallen? Quality of shots faced is the huge story.

Referencing the first bolded part the answer is one or the other. We have a low scoring defensive type squad at least that's how Tippett like to play. Our talent is very mediocre so Smith has to play very well for us to win. It's really that simple until we bring in higher end talent.

As for quality of shots? I disagree. Remember when Smith stole the playoff round against the Hawks? He stool on his head. Talk about quality shots.
Right now he's struggling with some very makeable saves game after game. He's really fighting it.

We know going in that the Hawks are going to throw a lot of pucks on net. But, I guarantee that if you watch the Hawks series vs. our last 6 games, you'd see a difference in where those shots are coming from and/or how we are playing defensively during those shots (are our players preventing Smith from seeing the puck vs. two years ago? How many players do we have reacting back to the middle to get the garbage rebound out?)

I agree that he is fighting the puck, and that can be as much dependent on the team around him. Wouldn't you be having more difficulties if 3-5 additional shots per game were all taken from high-quality scoring areas, where our player is helping to screen you unknowingly? A confident goalie comes from seeing the puck clearly and knowing that the defense in front of him is limiting the best opportunities from the opposition, whether shots, tips, deflections, etc. We don't have a confident goalie b/c our defensive system has had too many breakdowns. Otherwise, Greiss would have only allowed 1 goal rather than 4 before he got pulled, if it is all on which goalie can make the "makeable" saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad