GDT: Game 45: Phoenix Coyotes @ Winnipeg Jets 1-13-14| 6PM | FSA +

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Was wondering where you were. Thought this game made you drink to the point of passing out. I am not embarrassed to be a Coyote fan but the recent play has been very embarrasing.

I went to play Aion instead of watching the third period. Then the servers crashed so now I'm desperately hoping the Kings lose (despite them playing a division opponent in the Canucks) and back on HF for the moment.

I'll probably pass out by the 2nd intermission of the Canucks @ Kings game though.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
The past four years has been building a house of cards. I am surprised this didn't happen sooner. What do you expect signing a bunch of grinders?

Since the WCF GMDM was told over and over again. We Need Scorers! Seen Any? We did sign Smith to that contract. I do remember reading every other day about this player or that player. And the comment "Oh Yeah Great Fourth Liner". But Still No Scorer! And We're in Cap Hell. But I'm told GMDM is The Best In the Game!

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I am surprised too.

Just because we have them; doesn't mean that we have to ride this bunch til death. We have plenty of options in terms of skill; just most of them (Brown, Miele, Rundblad, Gormley, etc) do not fit Tip's definition of players that he would use on a regular basis.

Maybe DT is just not the type of coach that manages riches well. I mean maybe he is the type that only deals with dire situations. When we could have more resources and more skill in the line-up, he continue to play the team as if we only could use grinders.

I'm not sure. He was fired in Dallas but the team didn't really play better until better pieces came along. Probably still a great coach if given the right tools to be effective. Having Ribs on a grinder line? Probably even the most greenhorn of coaches wouldn't want to do that.

I'd say give him some time for these plugs to move on and get better players. Still in the same boat..then get a different coach.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I rather see them here playing. I read in more than a few places they are ready. At least they would be trying.

I think they are ready. It's just that DT is the type of coach that seems to demand near perfection from skilled players before they are ready. It's not hard to see that no matter what type of "rookie mistakes" some of them might make, it can't really be much worse than what we have seen in the last half dozen games, all with DT's hand picked "reliable" players.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Since the WCF GMDM was told over and over again. We Need Scorers! Seen Any? We did sign Smith to that contract. I do remember reading every other day about this player or that player. And the comment "Oh Yeah Great Fourth Liner". But Still No Scorer! And We're in Cap Hell. But I'm told GMDM is The Best In the Game!

When has there been enough money to sign what he needed? What good is a scorer with no that can pass? This team is probably in a minor rebuild. I bet a scorer will come along.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
I'm not sure. He was fired in Dallas but the team didn't really play better until better pieces came along. Probably still a great coach if given the right tools to be effective. Having Ribs on a grinder line? Probably even the most greenhorn of coaches wouldn't want to do that.

I'd say give him some time for these plugs to move on and get better players. Still in the same boat..then get a different coach.

Sometimes Great Players Make Great Coach's They have a way of making coach's look so smart.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

I'm incredulous as to how Maloney could not manage to move either Rundblad or Klesla in the offseason to obtain some skill. Even -12 Yandle. BTW, he also managed to sign Chris Summers to a one-way as well. And then the best he could get is Jeff Halpern. WTF. Ribeiro cannot play alone. Moss and Klink aren't helping, sorry.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think they are ready. It's just that DT is the type of coach that seems to demand near perfection from skilled players before they are ready. It's not hard to see that no matter what type of "rookie mistakes" some of them might make, it can't really be much worse than what we have seen in the last half dozen games, all with DT's hand picked "reliable" players.

But what about Murphy? He stayed way longer than I thought Tip would have allowed off of what I have heard about him and playing young players.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I'm incredulous as to how Maloney could not manage to move either Rundblad or Klesla in the offseason to obtain some skill. Even -12 Yandle. BTW, he also managed to sign Chris Summers to a one-way as well. And then the best he could get is Jeff Halpern. WTF. Ribeiro cannot play alone. Moss and Klink aren't helping, sorry.

Moss and Klink are 3rd liners at best.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Smith contract was puzzling. Did anyone other than GMDM think that was a good idea?

We really miss Gordon. More than Tippett/Maloney thought we would, I imagine.

Atrkl

Dec 31, 2007
Phoenix
We miss a few players, we are a team without a high talent offense but completely devoid of any kind of "shutdown" line. I would honestly say all four of our forward lines are, at best, average defensively. So we are stuck at an impasse right now of being a team that is having trouble scoring but also unable to stop the other teams from scoring.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

Well, I hope you are right.

But after watching the last month or so, I'm no longer convinced that DT is the type of coach that can adapt to different types of players that all bring different elements to a team, which a genuine contender would need.

A coach that only rely on "safe" players whose styles he is comfortable with might have a good stretch to two. But in the long run, he is not the type of coach that ultimately takes teams to long term success. It also takes integrating, effectively, type of players that bring missing elements from your game, to make your team more well rounded, and less predictable for the opponents.

This is not Jacque Lemaire in the 90's, where few teams understood how to defeat a well honed and run defensive system like the trap. Today, if you cannot play a 90 ft game, and be able to adapt to other team once they have figured your schemes out, you are not going to succeed season after season.

Having a system is the hall mark of a decent coach. But only having a system is also a hall-mark of a merely decent coach. We'll see what type DT actually is through the rest of the season, I guess.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The Smith contract was puzzling. Did anyone other than GMDM think that was a good idea?

We really miss Gordon. More than Tippett/Maloney thought we would, I imagine.

I never liked the Smith contract from the start. My maximum I wanted to offer him was in the neighborhood of 4x4.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, I hope you are right.

But after watching the last month or so, I'm no longer convinced that DT is the type of coach that can adapt to different types of players that all bring different elements to a team, which a genuine contender would need.

A coach that only rely on "safe" players whose styles he is comfortable with might have a good stretch to two. But in the long run, he is not the type of coach that ultimately takes teams to long term success. It also takes integrating, effectively, type of players that bring missing elements from your game, to make your team more well rounded, and less predictable for the opponents.

This is not Jacque Lemaire in the 90's, where few teams understood how to defeat a well honed and run defensive system like the trap. Today, if you cannot play a 90 ft game, and be able to adapt to other team once they have figured your schemes out, you are not going to succeed season after season.

Having a system is the hall mark of a decent coach. But only having a system is also a hall-mark of a merely decent coach. We'll see what type DT actually is through the rest of the season, I guess.

Good post.

I think DT is not a good video-era coach. He can't make adjustment's on the fly and prefers 'safe' players. The era of safe players is over. There are a lot of 'safe' players down in the AHL.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
But what about Murphy? He stayed way longer than I thought Tip would have allowed off of what I have heard about him and playing young players.

Murphy?

He had no choice but to play either Rundblad or Murphy, when neither Z. nor DMo was in the condition (or emotional state) to play well. I don't think that add an iota to his pedigree of willingness to play prospects. For all we know, he was just choosing the lesser of two evils in his mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad