GDT: Game 45: Pens @ Avs; 10AM GST+8 Saturday (like 7pm Fri local); Which team shows up?

Final Score:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We really need to be better at making the pass out of the zone. The chip off the boards kills the teams ability to transition quickly, which is the strong suit of the team, and often leads to turnovers and prolonged time in our own zone.
This team doesn't have enough defensemen that can do it, though.

- Zadorov can't make a pass to save his life
- Johnson just wants to flip it out, or wait and try to make a cross ice pass which is 50/50 going into skates
- Cole can make a straight line pass, but any semblance of traffic/pressure whatsoever and it's probably getting turned over
- Graves has his head down 90% of the time

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This loss honestly has nothing to do with anyone but Francouz. Plain and simple all 4 of the goals he let in were pretty soft. 3 of them were screen free shots that beat him clean and the 4th one was still a shot he needs to have.

On the flip side, yes Murray let in a weird one from Landy but the Mack shot was a no chance goal.

The Avs played a game that was deserving of 2 points. It just was. 5on5 the stats were very even.

The difference ultimately came down to our goalie allowing one more softie than the other goalie.

The dumb thing about HFAvs is that unless it's a blowout win folks are gonna nitpick at every mistake inside a game when in reality every team makes 15+ mistakes every game. That's how shots, scoring chances, and goals are generated.

The Avs are one of the more stingy teams overall in giving up these chances but HFAvs has literally 0 understanding of long term sample sizes and focuses exclusively on what's happening right now and nothing else. Tonight we lost a tight game so we suck and we're in the Lafrenniere sweepstakes.
Remember when Z played 6 good games in a row and became untouchable? Good times.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
They didn't deserve to win anything. They played one solid period again, then got some bounces, they're not out working teams.
Bingo! This team just doesn't have a strong enough collective work ethic to be a legitimate contender. They have their moments where they look good, but the wheels usually fall off the wagon the moment they face even a whiff of adversity. It really gets tiring watching this same **** year-after-year. These clowns need a shake-up in the worst way. I'd love to see Jost, JTC, EJ, Graves, Cole & possible even Landeskog shopped around. Wouldn't miss any of 'em if the return was right.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

- Johnson just wants to flip it out, or wait and try to make a cross ice pass which is 50/50 going into skates
- Cole can make a straight line pass, but any semblance of traffic/pressure whatsoever and it's probably getting turned over
Exactly, imagine what having another dman who can move the puck woould do for this team. 3 pairs with atleast one guy who can move the puck. Timmins and Byram really need to get prime time ready soon.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

That's exactly it. Not enough guys that can make the smart play, and make that play consistently. We need to move one or two of those guys and replace them with someone that can make that play.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I didnt think our defense was bad at all. We limited the Pens pretty well. The goaltending however has been unacceptable. Doesnt matter who is in the net. its 3 goals against almost always because the goalies are letting in some soft soft goals. 2 five hole goals against tonight is very unacceptable in this league. Now they have to wait until Tuesday for the Stars to son them again.
It's really frustrating. Seems like its something different every game. Some games it look like poor coaching, some games it's the bad PP or bad PK, goaltending looks poor in most of this losses too. I just dont know what's wrong with this team. They just like to make things harder for themselves.

They gonna go through this struggle, find themselves in wildcard spot or even outside of the playoffs, then start playing good hockey but only to barley make the playoffs again as a wildcard team. No home ice and most likely wont go far again.

I really dont know how you fix this problem. It's a team issue more than anything. Coaches cant get this team stay consistent enough, a lot of players just dont have high hockey IQ, and goaltending cant stay consistent all season long.

How exactly do you fix this?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Remember when Z played 6 good games in a row and became untouchable? Good times.

Oh yes.

Our boards are infatuated with short term results and basically ignore long term trends or statistics.

I'm sure I ruffled a lot of feathers with my last post but I'm drunk so I dont really give a f*** :laugh:

I only caught glimpses of the first 2 periods tonight. But the Avs entered the 3rd period up 2-1 and were pretty obviously the better team in that 3rd period. Give both teams average level goaltending and that's an Avs regulation win tonight.

Instead it's an OT loss which is exactly what happens when a goalkeeper underperforms.

And I'm about as big of a Francouz homer as you'll find so the fact I'm blaming tonights loss on him should really stick out for folks but it wont.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I don't know what people are expecting from Bednar in post game press conferences?

He's not Torts. He isn't going to give you crazy quotes.

He could start by not pointing to everything but himself. His style smacks of this. I wouldn't follow him up an ant hill.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
That's not the point. He's pinpointing issues with the team that he has complete control over. If he has the helpless mentality it actually makes a ton of sense as to why this team can't seem to close out 3rd periods

Spot on for starters.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We got away with it tonight and it resulted in a goal but I really need to know why Jared didnt call a timeout in the final 3 minutes especially on the PP. Like why? You can use one every now and again. Final minute of the game and Jost is out there. Seems like he was trying to lose but Cale and Calvert said no.

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
We got away with it tonight and it resulted in a goal but I really need to know why Jared didnt call a timeout in the final 3 minutes especially on the PP. Like why? You can use one every now and again. Final minute of the game and Jost is out there. Seems like he was trying to lose but Cale and Calvert said no.
He has nothing to say? No ideas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad