GDT: Game 45: Pens @ Avs; 10AM GST+8 Saturday (like 7pm Fri local); Which team shows up?

Final Score:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Its not that hard to figure some things out. Just look at what changed from when things were going well. From 11/27-12/7 the Avs enjoyed a 6 game win streak that included a win over the Bruins in Boston. Giving up only 10 goals during that streak while scoring 26. Just get the tape out and see what you were doing right, who was playing and make the adjustments.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They played a near-perfect first period. All downhill after that.

I like that Pittsburgh plays very sound, structured, defensive hockey that doesn't drain the life out of the game. I really like that they go out of their way to disrupt things high in the zone. Avs really couldn't get anything going down low unless they dumped it.

Rust is a fun player. I even liked some of the theatrics (he knew he flipped the puck over the glass but then started toward the bench as if nothing happened). :laugh: Really good pickup by them. They also acquired Marino for a song and he was very noticeable out there. You can see why they've remained a top team despite not-great goaltending from Murray and a litany of injuries.

That said, it was yet another poor showing from Kadri (who was abysmal on the power play), Rantanen, Landeskog, and Burakovsky. Too many passengers right now, MacKinnon should be having to do less instead of the exact opposite. I don't know how much longer it's going to take for the other two-thirds of the top line to shake off the rust but everyone is running out of patience. I thought the defense was okay except for Cole, who had at least two giant brain farts, one was a terrible clearing attempt that got intercepted, then the other was a blocked shot he chased, pulling himself way outta position, which led to blown coverage and a goal against.

The defensive breakdowns were bad, but three of those four goals were completely stoppable. You know you're having a rough night in goal when the guy at the other end of the ice lets in a soft chip shot and you still find a way to lose.

The goalies have to be better. End of story.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
They played a near-perfect first period. All downhill after that.

I like that Pittsburgh plays very sound, structured, defensive hockey that doesn't drain the life out of the game. I really like that they go out of their way to disrupt things high in the zone. Avs really couldn't get anything going down low unless they dumped it.

Rust is a fun player. I even liked some of the theatrics (he knew he flipped the puck over the glass but then started toward the bench as if nothing happened). :laugh: Really good pickup by them. They also acquired Marino for a song and he was very noticeable out there. You can see why they've remained a top team despite not-great goaltending from Murray and a litany of injuries.

That said, it was yet another poor showing from Kadri (who was abysmal on the power play), Rantanen, Landeskog, and Burakovsky. Too many passengers right now, MacKinnon should be having to do less instead of the exact opposite. I don't know how much longer it's going to take for the other two-thirds of the top line to shake off the rust but everyone is running out of patience. I thought the defense was okay except for Cole, who had at least two giant brain farts, one was a terrible clearing attempt that got intercepted, then the other was a blocked shot he chased, pulling himself way outta position, which led to blown coverage and a goal against.

The defensive breakdowns were bad, but three of those four goals were completely stoppable. You know you're having a rough night in goal when the guy at the other end of the ice lets in a soft chip shot and you still find a way to lose.

The goalies have to be better. End of story.
John Marino has been very good from what I can tell, and I don't know what's up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My thoughts right now.

1. Landy/Rantanen look no further if you want to see why we are playing bad hockey. Bednar keeps shoving them out there countless minutes with bad results it's actually a minor miracle that MacK continues to produce. Why they keep getting rolled out there with MacK is beyond me. Until these two clowns decide to play to their capabilities then we are screwed because we were counting on much more from those two.

2. Goalie play. It simply hasn't been acceptable. Not sure why it's so hard to make routine saves. If we stop giving the other team 2+ soft ones a game we will fare much better. I hate to say it, but we might need to start exploring trade possibilities to get a legit starter in here because I don't have high hopes for either of our current guys. They simply aren't consistent enough.

3. Our depth guys apparently all decided to slump at the same time. That can't happen. You expect depth guys to slump here and there but it can't happen all at once. Some of these guys have to be better quickly.

4. Makar is in a bit of a funk, it's amazing how important his play has become to team success this early in to his rookie year. If he plays well so does the team. We need him to start knocking off the rust as well.

5. Even with all the great moves and additions this summer to improve depth and scoring etc. It has quickly evolved back into what it used to be seasons past. Which is stand around do nothing of value, and wait and hope MacKinnon does something. Hate to use that cliche term, but too many damn passengers out there right now. I feel bad for MacKinnon. He gives it his all every night only to watch his team give him very little support. I can fully understand why he looks frustrated out there, I would be to if that was the pathetic effort my teammates were giving right now. This team owes it to MacK to be better, he is trying his best to drag is through the mud just give him a little more consistent support.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My thoughts right now.

1. Landy/Rantanen look no further if you want to see why we are playing bad hockey. Bednar keeps shoving them out there countless minutes with bad results it's actually a minor miracle that MacK continues to produce. Why they keep getting rolled out there with MacK is beyond me. Until these two clowns decide to play to their capabilities then we are screwed because we were counting on much more from those two.

2. Goalie play. It simply hasn't been acceptable. Not sure why it's so hard to make routine saves. If we stop giving the other team 2+ soft ones a game we will fare much better. I hate to say it, but we might need to start exploring trade possibilities to get a legit starter in here because I don't have high hopes for either of our current guys. They simply aren't consistent enough.

3. Our depth guys apparently all decided to slump at the same time. That can't happen. You expect depth guys to slump here and there but it can't happen all at once. Some of these guys have to be better quickly.

4. Makar is in a bit of a funk, it's amazing how important his play has become to team success this early in to his rookie year. If he plays well so does the team. We need him to start knocking off the rust as well.

5. Even with all the great moves and additions this summer to improve depth and scoring etc. It has quickly evolved back into what it used to be seasons past. Which is stand around do nothing of value, and wait and hope MacKinnon does something. Hate to use that cliche term, but too many damn passengers out there right now. I feel bad for MacKinnon. He gives it his all every night only to watch his team give him very little support. I can fully understand why he looks frustrated out there, I would be to if that was the pathetic effort my teammates were giving right now. This team owes it to MacK to be better, he is trying his best to drag is through the mud just give him a little more consistent support.

Well, to be fair, he's demoted both top line wingers a number of times. It actually sparked something in Rantanen when he got booted to the third line, but what's also not helping is that Kadri is also shitting the bed, Donskoi came back to earth and then got concussed, and Burakovsky has been a headless chicken since his own return from injury. It's not helping that Bellemare is being overworked and the cracks are showing, and Calvert is ultimately limited in what he can do, even though he has made some significant strides in his offensive production. There's poor play EVERYWHERE, it's not just Landeskog and Rantanen. Depth is still a big issue with this team unfortunately, and now the top line guys outside of MacKinnon are not doing their part.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
My thoughts right now.

How the f*** you going to call Landy and Rantanen clowns?

f*** outta here

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not a fan of the Graves-Makar pairing, Graves is pinching too much when that should be Makar. Almost feels like teams are overplaying Makar's side and leaving room for Graves. Maybe try Girard-Makar, Graves-EJ?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’m jealous of the Pens scouts, they’ve found some gems. Part of it is their development as well, making the most of their assets
Penguins are seriously the worst type of team to cheer for. First, they have tanked for multiple generational talent in multiple decades. Then they selected good players beyond the second round and I don't know who it is because it most definitely isn't GMJR, but they keep finding these gems. I remember when we all said that their defensive core was ageing pile of crap, but Marino decided to pull a Jimmy Vesey card which Penguins pounced on. Pettersson was a good get for a Sprong bust, Guentzel was a hella of a selection in the draft, Kahun who I always wanted was an afterthought, and there are probably more. Perhaps it is a collection, but the two guys I pinpoint and maybe @henchman24 knows more is Patrik Allvin and Ryan Bowness. Problem is Bowness just became the Director of Professional Scouting and don't know who the old one was.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm actually happy with the outcome considering what happened: a fluky goal and down late in the 3rd. Pens are a good team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, unless you are a cereal killer, then no.
Am not!
source.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not a fan of the Graves-Makar pairing, Graves is pinching too much when that should be Makar. Almost feels like teams are overplaying Makar's side and leaving room for Graves. Maybe try Girard-Makar, Graves-EJ?
Funny the same thing happens on the Girard and EJ pairing. EJ joining the rush as if hes going to do something positive with the puck

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really have to question Avs fans focusing on your D. You probably have the best transition D in the league. If not it’s between you and CAR
Best transition D in the league?

We have 2 defensemen that can transition the play on a consistent basis in Makar and Girard.

I instantly think turnover when Zadorov has the puck, or when Cole has the puck under pressure. I also think "into the skates" whenever Johnson or Graves are looking to attempt a pass.

We do not have the best transition D in the league. Not by a long shot.
They also acquired Marino for a song and he was very noticeable out there.
The Oilers have to be kicking themselves right now for not being able to convince him to sign with them. He'd do wonders for that team in a top-4 role.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Zadorov and EJ have low hockey IQ which is part of the problem Avs have on defense

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Best transition D in the league?

We have 2 defensemen that can transition the play on a consistent basis in Makar and Girard.

I instantly think turnover when Zadorov has the puck, or when Cole has the puck under pressure. I also think "into the skates" whenever Johnson or Graves are looking to attempt a pass.

We do not have the best transition D in the league. Not by a long shot.

The Oilers have to be kicking themselves right now for not being able to convince him to sign with them. He'd do wonders for that team in a top-4 role.

Yes. Girard, Cole, Makar and EJ is fantastic as a D core in terms of moving the puck and skating it out.

You sound like the Pens fans that call Letang one of the dumbest players in the league.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Zadorov and EJ have low hockey IQ which is part of the problem Avs have on defense

As I alluded to before, AJ called the Avs a "low IQ team" and frankly...I don't think he's off-base. But it's especially true on defense. This is a big reason why I think the team's PK is utterly useless unless the goalies are standing on their heads, and why defense overall continues to be a huge concern. I will say though they've done a very good job of bringing in smart hockey players over the years, whether it's Bellemare, Nieto, Nichushkin, or Calvert. Donskoi doesn't necessarily strike me as a "big hockey sense" guy but he has decent defensive awareness. But then...Burakovsky is about one of the dumbest hockey players I've ever seen, so...

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
6 games ago he was on pace for less than 30 points.
He has almost 200 games now that suggests he's a 30 point Dman.

But yes, thanks to his 6 game streak where he has 11 assists, lets use that to suggest he's all of a sudden a 45+ point Dman.

When he gets 1-2 points in his next 15 games, will we also then call him a ~10 point Dman? Somehow I suspect your answer to be no.
You missed ny point. Putting Girard at an arbitrary 30pt ceiling at 21 its absurd and he likely has more potential offensively than some acknowledge.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes. Girard, Cole, Makar and EJ is fantastic as a D core in terms of moving the puck and skating it out.

You sound like the Pens fans that call Letang one of the dumbest players in the league.
You really have zero clue about Avs defensemen then if you're putting Ian freaking Cole and Erik Johnson as part of a "fantastic" d core in terms of moving the puck.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad