GDT: Game 45: Pens @ Avs; 10AM GST+8 Saturday (like 7pm Fri local); Which team shows up?

Final Score:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
44 games is a small sample size to you?

6 games ago he was on pace for less than 30 points.
He has almost 200 games now that suggests he's a 30 point Dman.

But yes, thanks to his 6 game streak where he has 11 assists, lets use that to suggest he's all of a sudden a 45+ point Dman.

When he gets 1-2 points in his next 15 games, will we also then call him a ~10 point Dman? Somehow I suspect your answer to be no.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Why does this team go through the same struggle every year and at the same time of the season. Everything is the same where both goalies can't stop pucks, defense sucks etc....

Lack of leadership. Top down. Not hard. Rather easy actually.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Look at that game log...

Tyson Jost

D3135446-C2D4-41DA-960E-849BC5249D49.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Lack of leadership. Top down. Not hard. Rather easy actually.
I've questioned the leadership as well, I've questioned the coaching, but it seems like there is a different issue each game. I agree with those who are saying today was the goaltending that lost the game, but each loss there is something different so I dont even know anymore

Reactions: klozge

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This loss honestly has nothing to do with anyone but Francouz. Plain and simple all 4 of the goals he let in were pretty soft. 3 of them were screen free shots that beat him clean and the 4th one was still a shot he needs to have.
This is wrong and why we probably disagree. I agree that hockey is a game full of mistakes, but there is a difference between making a mistake that doesn't hurt the team and brainless mistakes. Look at Rust's goal, was it weak by Franz? Sure, no arguments from me, but look at the stupidity of what lead to that game. An Avs player (don't know who) falls down and instead of getting up crashes into Makar giving Rust a free ride to shoot wherever he wants. That's a giftwrapped goal if you'd ask me. OT goal, Compher was covering one of the Penguins players, but left his stick in the shooting lane and it gets redirected. Francouz was extending his leg to stop it which he was doing, but the little tip off of JTC caused a change in direction to his five-hole. You can blame him on all the others, but no way was that his fault here.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
The Pens colour commentator is worse than Moser and Jack Edwards combined. Holy shit was that bad.

I didnt even want the Aves to win, I just wanted him to lose.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
People are forgetting that the Avalanche are going through their most favourable stretch of their schedule right now, and they're falling on their faces. They managed to get healthy for a part of their schedule that should've seen them go on a run into 2020, and they've won 3 of their last 10.

I can't say there's much to be positive about right now aside from MacKinnon and maybe Makar. Rantanen hasn't scored a point in 3 games, Burakovsky has 1 goal in his last 12, and Jost has zero goals, 4 assists in his last 20 games. The guys that the Avs need to have step up are nowhere to be found.

Reactions: drhiii

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It's really frustrating. Seems like its something different every game. Some games it look like poor coaching, some games it's the bad PP or bad PK, goaltending looks poor in most of this losses too. I just dont know what's wrong with this team. They just like to make things harder for themselves.

They gonna go through this struggle, find themselves in wildcard spot or even outside of the playoffs, then start playing good hockey but only to barley make the playoffs again as a wildcard team. No home ice and most likely wont go far again.

I really dont know how you fix this problem. It's a team issue more than anything. Coaches cant get this team stay consistent enough, a lot of players just dont have high hockey IQ, and goaltending cant stay consistent all season long.

How exactly do you fix this?
Yeah at just the right time they will make an oat to themselves to start playing like a team and they will rice to the occasion.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just looked at some stats last night and it's true example of it not matching the eye test for some players lol.

Burakovsky with the second highest cf% despite being probably the worst forward on the ice.
Zadorov with the worst cf% despite playing a phenomenal game.

Someone needs to tell Burakovsky to shoot the f***ing puck. He looks great everywhere else. Flys around the ice, gaining the zone, working the offensive zone creating crazy openings. Hell he's even winning board battles. But then he forces low percentage passes that aren't there at all. He has a laser. A guy like that needs to be told to only pass the puck if it's a 100% risk free pass. Otherwise snipe the puck or twirl off and wait for another play to develop. He's forcing it beyond belief. Playing him and Kadri together is beyond dumb.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Another game where most of the advanced stats fell in our favor but ended up with the L. That’s 3 straight. I’d say that trend can’t continue but we did the opposite for almost an entire season in 2013. Maybe this is the universe correcting itself.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This is wrong and why we probably disagree. I agree that hockey is a game full of mistakes, but there is a difference between making a mistake that doesn't hurt the team and brainless mistakes. Look at Rust's goal, was it weak by Franz? Sure, no arguments from me, but look at the stupidity of what lead to that game. An Avs player (don't know who) falls down and instead of getting up crashes into Makar giving Rust a free ride to shoot wherever he wants. That's a giftwrapped goal if you'd ask me. OT goal, Compher was covering one of the Penguins players, but left his stick in the shooting lane and it gets redirected. Francouz was extending his leg to stop it which he was doing, but the little tip off of JTC caused a change in direction to his five-hole. You can blame him on all the others, but no way was that his fault here.

It was the captain.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just can't come after a loss like that (or others) and go straight after the goalers, it is a very easy excuse and blame game. If you got rid of all the weak goals from both sides, Avs still would NOT have won if they decided to play Jarry who's their starter (as of now). Avs barely got it into OT against Penguins C+ team, not good enough and you lot are out to lunch if you don't see that there are problems beyond the net.

Yup, he isn't doing anything amazing out there, but he's at least is generating chances and not costing goals. Can't say that about 98% rest of the team IMHO.

I kind of agree we're a little quick to jump on the goaltending, but they are not making that extra save the opposing guy is at times.

I mean Jarry let in a bouncer at a critical time lol. It's a little of both right now. Perfect storm.

I don't think they've been as bad as the Groob/Varly stretch, that's for sure.

Just looked at some stats last night and it's true example of it not matching the eye test for some players lol.

Burakovsky with the second highest cf% despite being probably the worst forward on the ice.
Zadorov with the worst cf% despite playing a phenomenal game.

Someone needs to tell Burakovsky to shoot the ****ing puck. He looks great everywhere else. Flys around the ice, gaining the zone, working the offensive zone creating crazy openings. Hell he's even winning board battles. But then he forces low percentage passes that aren't there at all. He has a laser. A guy like that needs to be told to only pass the puck if it's a 100% risk free pass. Otherwise snipe the puck or twirl off and wait for another play to develop. He's forcing it beyond belief. Playing him and Kadri together is beyond dumb.

I'll stop messing with you lol, but we're seeing him in a more similar light now.

I actually wonder if this is over confidence or lack of it. I just don't get why he can't simplify his game again. Usually when guys are not confident with the puck they are not out there trying to wheel it all over the place.

The guy just does not have the ability to draw guys to him and get his passes through players or seems. He cannot be a playmaker while playing against higher levels of competition.

I think he looks fine on lower lines that are not expected to contribute regularly because he moves the puck the right direction, but rarely gets results. That's all that is expected though.

Shoot or get off the pot lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad