Timmins-Girard

From yours truly,

Mr Sakic ;)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Just saw Jareds presser. Hes pretty pissed off and spot on in his assessment. Its a mental thing in OT. This constantly losing thing in OT is mental and its snowballing out of control. Being flat at home is alarming. This is a young team there is no excuse for being flat for 40 minutes.

Well when your system is predicated on going 100% at all times, and then you have to over play the top line, and your second line is over matched on a consistent basis..

Sprinkle in some shit goal-tending to kick off this stretch, and a young inconsistent defense aaaaaaaand... Wahhh-Lahhh.

What would 5 more goals give us in points during these stretches where we can't score? Could be anywhere between 5 and 10 more points. Those goals could come from guys currently on the roster being setup by the addition, or they could come from said player. The margin really is that f***ing tight lol.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I do...

He forced the sale of his team. You shouldn't think about him as rainbows and unicorn ****. He's never been team first, until his final years when he signed one year contracts....I believe those contracts where still terrible for a team in a cap era. He should have been traded after the first lockout. Between him and Blake, it was crippling....the AVs could only offer Foote and Forsberg 1.2M a year or something because of the bonuses Sakic and Blake had in their contracts. The AVs got screwed and never recovered under the cap era. Has any team every had to loose talent like that via an expansion draft or salary cap reduction before? It's impossible to recover from that in a timely fashion. The fact that it took this long to start stock-piling the pond is unforgiveable.

I thank god that big snake eat PL.

Much work is left to be done and burning up MacKinnon's contract is not a recipe for success.
Ok well first off, agents handle contracts, and Sakic was paid as a top 5 player in the world.

Sakic isn't "burning" up MacKinnons contract. He was a genius to sign him when he did, for 6.3m. The team isn't ready to contend, but are going to next season, and have a very bright future.

The "you don't talk to Mr Sakic that way" was a joke. I was referring to Avery chirping Sakic, and having Brett Hull grab him and say that quote.

Avery said that he was never stopped by anyone for chirping any of the other stars in the league. That's how much Sakic was/is respected in the NHL.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Ok well first off, agents handle contracts, and Sakic was paid as a top 5 player in the world.

Sakic isn't "burning" up MacKinnons contract. He was a genius to sign him when he did, for 6.3m. The team isn't ready to contend, but are going to next season, and have a very bright future.

The "you don't talk to Mr Sakic that way" was a joke. I was referring to Avery chirping Sakic, and having Brett Hull grab him and say that quote.

Avery said that he was never stopped by anyone for chirping any of the other stars in the league. That's how much Sakic was/is respected in the NHL.

Let's see how much Sakic is respected when goes to sign Rants. He's not exactly the role model I want for kids under a cap-system considering her forced the sale of a team under a non-cap system. He's just not that rosey of a guy...in fact he's very mercenary. That being said, he's a nice guy....he's done metric butt load of great things for the Denver area and that is admirable. I just don't think he's the saint some of y'all believe him to be.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've been to war three times, seen plenty of blood, and I am in EMS now. I'm comfortable staying out of this one lol.

Don't worry you'll find someone. You are bringing the gas and the match right now.
Are you telling me I should stop?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Let's see how much Sakic is respected when goes to sign Rants. He's not exactly the role model I want for kids under a cap-system considering her forced the sale of a team under a non-cap system. He's just not that rosey of a guy...in fact he's very mercenary. That being said, he's a nice guy....he's done metric butt load of great things for the Denver area and that is admirable. I just don't think he's the saint some of y'all believe him to be.
Hockey is a business, and anyone who thinks that players will take a discount is delusional. Agents handle contracts.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

That really happened?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hockey is a business, and anyone who thinks that players will take a discount is delusional. Agents handle contracts.

[edit...yes agents handle contracts and tell players what they think they can get them on the market...players have the ability to negotiate and either stay or sign with a team they like.] Joe didn't like the Nordiques/AVs and signed a contract very similar to what ROR did. It was matched but it did in fact require a sale of the team to do so. ]

And anyone that thinks a team will be able to be sustainable with contracts like MacK and Rants are due for need to realize the window is very short. You can't have two team-mated both locked up for more more 10M per season and still fill out a decent roster around them....inflation be damned. It just won't happen..We need better second line players and we can't pay them 3 million....we need some high priced bonafied guys there. Unless you are will to break up that pairing there is just not a recipe for success. That might have been why the AVs were lucky with both Sakic and Forsberg playing center.....They had the luxury of not having them both on the same line...

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Pretty close!

Also...

3-1 Kings.

We will spend the wee hours of the morning somehow putting a positive spin on it and saying the Kings passed Ottawa and the Sens now sit dead last.

Nice to see Varly back in goal to take the loss tonight.

I just underestimated our high power offense scoring more than 1 goal.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Another lackluster effort. Without the top line putting up NHL ‘94 numbers, the Avs are suddenly losing to teams like Chicago and LA.

Not to make excuses...(though I’m going to)...but the Avs are pretty much dressing only 8 NHL caliber forwards on a nightly basis; Jost, Bourque, et al are 13th forwards.

Also, I thought Varly was shaky. Yeah, the first goal was deflected, and the OT goal was a breakaway, but what’s up with that wraparound goal?

Not blaming him for the loss, but an on-his-game Varly might’ve had a shutout tonight. He’s ice cold and Grubauer has been much better than him since the start of the month.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
And anyone that things a team will be able to be sustainable with contracts like MacK and Rants are due for need to realize the window is very short. You can't have 20M locked up in two players. Not until the cap hits 100M. It just can't work....there will alwasy be too many holes in the roster.
You're worrying about things that haven't happened yet. You have no idea what the cap structure of the avalanche will look like. 20m on 2 players isn't a big deal. MacKinnon isn't due for a contract for another 4.5 seasons.

Reactions: MacBradley

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This board wouldn't exist without arguments lol, but I'm not sure tearing into a franchise icon is going to result in a rational discussion. Should be interesting though.
Yeah....I see your point. I'm done for the night. However, my fuse is short and should I see the need to light it again in the near future it won't take much. I am going to sleep on it for the time being though.

*bow*

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
[edit...yes agents handle contracts and tell players what they think they can get them on the market...players have the ability to negotiate and either stay or sign with a team they like.] Joe didn't like the Nordiques/AVs and signed a contract very similar to what ROR did. It was matched but it did in fact require a sale of the team to do so. ]

And anyone that thinks a team will be able to be sustainable with contracts like MacK and Rants are due for need to realize the window is very short. You can't have two team-mated both locked up for more more 10M per season and still fill out a decent roster around them....inflation be damned. It just won't happen..We need better second line players and we can't pay them 3 million....we need some high priced bonafied guys there. Unless you are will to break up that pairing there is just not a recipe for success. That might have been why the AVs were lucky with both Sakic and Forsberg playing center.....They had the luxury of not having them both on the same line...
You're literally the only person I've ever seen, have negative things to say about the Avs cap situation. I've seen lots of other people talk about how good of a situation we are in. We're going to have to pay Rantanen 10ish, but it's a good problem to have.

Reactions: MacBradley

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah....I see your point. I'm done for the night. However, my fuse is short and should I see the need to light it again in the near future it won't take much. I am going to sleep on it for the time being though.

*bow*
r/iamverybadass

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
One last comment before I call it a night....

Avery was and always will be an ass-hat and nothing more. Lappy, his own team-mate (who by most accounts is the most likeable person to ever play the game) wanted to drop the gloves with him, and tried to do so on several occasions. The comments he made, the way he carried himself....that right there enough to drop the instigator rule for me. Ain't nobody got time for that shit....git it done. It doesn't take a goon. Avery wouldn't stand up to Lappy. He wasn't a heavy weight. He was a just a fearless feather-weight who punched above his weight. Danny Hinote would've done the same in the 90s. That featless son of a bitch fought Chara over-seas. We miss that kind of grit on our team. I don't want fights every night but I'd like to see some more scrums. Make a a little more miserable place for the openents to travel thoguh.

[edit...as I said it would be last comment tonight...just realize it is only 9:12pm my time...plenty of time for me to sober up and come back strong....but let's face it...that's not happening....Happy New Years to all of you! I really do hope everyone has a great year and your pets are not near as scared to death as mine are by the big booms happening outside.....feel like I should return some fire.]

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You're literally the only person I've ever seen, have negative things to say about the Avs cap situation. I've seen lots of other people talk about how good of a situation we are in. We're going to have to pay Rantanen 10ish, but it's a good problem to have.
I hope this is true...but if we aren't filling in that second line with good talent it won't matter how much we spend on those two. It won't be enough. If we need to break them up we need to do so....get it done now...see if Rants can play center right now. Especially if this is a throw-a-way year.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Amazing. My wife watched coach's post game... and she tore him to shreds. Knows little about hockey other than it is an awesome game. But she laid out some analysis on Bednar that would make your skin peel back. Based on hearing their record of the last month, this game, and Bednar's post game talk. I would not want to go home to that. And I go home to that scrutiny. She is savvy by the way.

Reactions: klozge

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I just watched the OT again and Mikko just totally COASTED to the bench and caused all of that. Simple lazy shit like that from our top guys have been ruining games. Mack doesn't battle for the puck in OT and just WAITS for the puck and that kind of stuff is just inexcusable. You have to be extra hungry for the puck 3 on 3. I know the top guys are doing all the heavy lifting but they are becoming as much of a dagger as our D and goalies lately.

I know I've been hard on Landy in the past but he's the only one of the top line that has consistently back checked in the last month. He's the only one who gives 100% effort when he's not in the O-Zone. Dude has been a faceoff animal, forechecking monster, and consistently causes takeaways and havoc. He might fan a couple shots but the dude more than makes up for it. Mikko and Mack have just been giving up on plays when things don't go their way lately.

Oh and Graves with yet another great game.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Amazing. My wife watched coach's post game... and she tore him to shreds. Knows little about hockey other than it is an awesome game. But she laid out some analysis on Bednar that would make your skin peel back. Based on hearing their record of the last month, this game, and Bednar's post game talk. I would not want to go home to that. And I go home to that scrutiny. She is savvy by the way.

Was it something about Bednar pointing out the obvious, but having no real answers?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just got home. Sooooooo we lost against the Kings too eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad