GDT: Game 40: LA @ COL | 6 PM MT | Dec 31, 2018 - NYE

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
....probably should have fired Cooper 2 years ago to give themselves a chance I guess. To your point. Agree to disagree on this one.
Interesting point because on paper Tampa has had everything a team needs to win the cup for the last few years now, and they haven't yet, would having a coach like Quenneville instead of Cooper made a difference? I'd say there is a good chance that it would, but who knows. All I know is if I have the roster to win, I want a well established coach. In today's NHL a coach can make a huge difference compared to old days where there was no salary cap, and a team could have Bourque, Blake, Foote, Forsberg, Sakic etc...and you could win with anyone behind the bench with that roster

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Interesting point because on paper Tampa has had everything a team needs to win the cup for the last few years now, and they haven't yet, would having a coach like Quenneville instead of Cooper made a difference? I'd say there is a good chance that it would, but who knows. All I know is if I have the roster to win, I want a well established coach. In today's NHL a coach can make a huge difference compared to old days where there was no salary cap, and a team could have Bourque, Blake, Foote, Forsberg, Sakic etc...and you could win with anyone behind the bench with that roster

To that end, I 100% agree with you. If you’ve got what you feel is a Stanley Cup winning team and you haven’t won it for one, yet alone two seasons, with an “inexperienced” non veteran coach - time to move on. I don’t think any of us realistically believe that’s our circumstance, yet.

Reactions: the_fan

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I actually think the team is slowly getting better again. There was much to like about this game. Unfortunately there were many things to dislike as well. Sloppy passes, sloppy puck handling, simply giving up the neutral zone at times, many unforced icings, predictability on the PP, another unnecessary, stupid penalty, Bourke being outplayed by two rookies... Still, I see this game as a positive.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The second goal was one varlamov should have had but at the very least... he keeps the avs in games.

Its sad to say, but the oilers and avs are built similarly. One line that does most of the damage, and a defence that just isn't good enough. Goalies that get hung up to dry

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The past few weeks suck, yes. And it's clear what the holes are when the top line isn't playing out of this world hockey.

However the holes that we do have.. I don't want to say easily fixable, but it's manageable. We already have top end talent, we just need some quality depth upfront now.

Need some more D, I'm sure there's a guy we could target in UFA, not to mention Makar + G/Z/youngsters further developing.

Goaltending seems to be the most up in the air, and probably will be the hardest to really fix. Hopefully one of Grubs/Frank can prove to be an eventual #1.

Reactions: MacBradley and arun

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
I have the feeling francouz will be the new hasek for us. I mean, i hope.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I watched the postgame conference by coach Bednar and what stands out is: lack of energy, lack of focus, not playing heavy enough.

Are these guys exhausted? Is there something wrong with their conditionning that they are spent out half-way into the season?

Bottom line is that we are a low energy team right now and that is not a recipe for success. Until that changes the L’s gonna pile-up.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Need some more D, I'm sure there's a guy we could target in UFA, not to mention Makar + G/Z/youngsters further developing.
Are you suggesting they replace Barrie or Johnson? Because if all goes as planned we should have
Johnson-Makar
Zadorov-Barrie
Timmins-Girard

And that’s leaving out Cole. Imo it’s young but that has a possibility of being a good core of defenseman. I’d be all for replacing EJ and Barrie depending on who we could get in UFA or if we used one of them in a piece for a trade but as far as UFA I think I want us spending money on bolstering our 2nd line. And adding quality depth guys to compliment the young guys on the bottom lines.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The fact that you make this statement tells me that you have not watched any of these players play hockey for at least 3/4 years.
Most high end offensive guys don't back check worth a shit. It used to be one of my biggest complaints and I bitched about it all the time. But I came to the conclusion that that is just way it is now and it's only getting worse and it's not worth my time getting frustrated by this.

Go watch a McDavid game, he even has Hitchcock as a coach and still the coasts around 90% of the time in his own end. No one mistakes him for Barkov.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Glad to see them fight back once again but it's still concerning they keep putting themselves in this position to begin with. You can't just show up for half the game no matter who the opponent is.

Bednar was rightfully frustrated/annoyed/angry afterwards but he also came off a bit defensive when he kept saying it's not structural. I think I agree with him but it was still odd to see him react like that. I still think they should just say screw it and go with MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog together in OT. It's not like any other combination they've tried has worked.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great to see them come back and get a point but another frustrating lost in OT.

I put this lost in OT on Bednar as much as on the players. Bednar's strategy in OT obviously does not work but he keeps going back to it: start with Mack, Rant and Barrie...lose the face...chase the puck until you are tired...do a bad line change...lose the game. For the life of me I have yet to understand why he is not starting with other guys and wait until we have control of the puck to send those guys out. Teach them to be patient in OT, keep possession and play keep away until the defending guys are tired and take advantage of it. Playing 3vs3 is not rocket science.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bednar said he liked the way they played in this game, really? They were making beer league passes out there, what did he like exactly?

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Bednar said he liked the way they played in this game, really? They were making beer league passes out there, what did he like exactly?

Not try trying to be argumentative, and I don’t disagree with you - but after an endless string of allowing 30+ shots on net only allowing 18 was certainly a positive.

Reactions: MacBradley

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I was on board with firing Bednar after that 2016/17 season, the fact that he came back after that is an embarrassment for the organization. BUT, he did then lead them to a playoff spot on an average roster and has them sitting in a playoff spot now so not firing him (which I still think is an embarrassing decision) has worked out okay.

At this point, I don't really think the roster is good enough to do much better than what he's done with it so far this season. Is he the long-term coach to win a cup? No probably not. But the team only has 2 legitimate top-six wingers, bad depth, and a mediocre defence. I don't think we'd do that much better standing or playoff wise with Quenneville or whoever as the coach. Currently, the ceiling of the team is being held up more by the roster than the coaching so it's Sakic that needs to do the work or get replaced. Or maybe my expectations are just really low after 2016-17 and I don't really mind as much anymore if the team isn't a contender for a few years.

Reactions: MacBradley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Not try trying to be argumentative, and I don’t disagree with you - but after an endless string of allowing 30+ shots on net only allowing 18 was certainly a positive.
I guess 18 shots against is not bad, but they were playing the Kings who are always offensively challenged slow team, and having a very bad season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Note to Jared Bednar. Practice the f***ing 3 on 3!

Every time they look totally out of sync and unsure of what to do. Then they make bad changes and give up unnecessary breakaways. Every damn time.

Reactions: Avalanche

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Logan looked good out there as well. I have NO idea why bourque is still on the team! O'Connor and Greer should be rocking the fourth line with at least 9 mins a game if we wanna develop more secondary scoring.

Shoot both Bourque and Jost down for the love of god. Both players have been f***ing useless.

It was actually funny watching Jost on the first line. They would dump the puck for him to retrieve and he got out skated and hustled every single time. Didn't even have a chance of touching the puck because he's too damn slow and too scared to rush in the zone. That one offside goal call has ruined his confidence to cross the blue line with any sort of momentum

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Logan looked good out there as well. I have NO idea why bourque is still on the team! O'Connor and Greer should be rocking the fourth line with at least 9 mins a game if we wanna develop more secondary scoring.

Shoot both Bourque and Jost down for the love of god. Both players have been ****ing useless.

It was actually funny watching Jost on the first line. They would dump the puck for him to retrieve and he got out skated and hustled every single time. Didn't even have a chance of touching the puck because he's too damn slow and too scared to rush in the zone. That one offside goal call has ruined his confidence to cross the blue line with any sort of momentum

I think we've all beat the horse to death about how much Mikko and MacK rely on Landeskog to get the puck for them. God I hope I don't jinx the shit out of them, but I also think that is a huge reason for MacK and Mikko's health and they rely on it heavily.

Which is also why is should be Compher with them not Jost. You need one of Compher or Landy on one of those lines IMO. No one else checks and retrieves pucks the way they do. Yeah neither of them are great at finishing plays, but they are the defacto two in the top six who can play both sides of the puck. They should not be on the same line if it's the second line IMO. Especially because finishing isn't a strong point for either one of them. Neither is it for Kerfoot's pool room level goal scoring ability.

I've also as others have made the case that Landy isn't the one you move off that line if you want to spread the offense. It's Mikko...

Compher - MacK - Mikko
Kerfoot - Soda - Landy

or

Landy - MacK - Compher
Kerfoot - Soda - Mikko

Bednar is a dumbass for not trying those combinations lol.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The past few weeks suck, yes. And it's clear what the holes are when the top line isn't playing out of this world hockey.

However the holes that we do have.. I don't want to say easily fixable, but it's manageable. We already have top end talent, we just need some quality depth upfront now.

Goaltending seems to be the most up in the air, and probably will be the hardest to really fix. Hopefully one of Grubs/Frank can prove to be an eventual #1.

The major on ice problems with this team are correctable too. Bad passes, bad penalties, struggling PK/PP. Mental errors are leading to all of these.

Lack of secondary scoring is an issue, but those other issues are the bigger problems right now IMO.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad