GDT: Game 40: LA @ COL | 6 PM MT | Dec 31, 2018 - NYE

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also, I thought Varly was shaky. Yeah, the first goal was deflected, and the OT goal was a breakaway, but what’s up with that wraparound goal?

Not blaming him for the loss, but an on-his-game Varly might’ve had a shutout tonight. He’s ice cold and Grubauer has been much better than him since the start of the month.

I thought Varly looked his most comfortable in a while out there. Good rebound control, some strong saves, but also some more unlucky bounces.

First goal was a deflection. Only goal he might have had a chance on was the OT breakaway, but it was a breakaway and a great shot.

The second goal he’s sliding to the post and Walker shoots it off Varly’s skate instead of doing a full wrap around. Nothing he can do there except hope it doesn’t bounce in the net.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
I thought Varly looked his most comfortable in a while out there. Good rebound control, some strong saves, but also some more unlucky bounces.

First goal was a deflection. Only goal he might have had a chance on was the OT breakaway, but it was a breakaway and a great shot.

The second goal he’s sliding to the post and Walker shoots it off Varly’s skate instead of doing a full wrap around. Nothing he can do there except hope it doesn’t bounce in the net.

Varly looks slow on that play.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

He had a chance on that second goal. He was late pushing off which gave Walker the gap to even have a chance on. He doesn't push off until Walker is coming around the other post which is far far far too late.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly looks slow on that play.

He had a chance on that second goal. He was late pushing off which gave Walker the gap to even have a chance on. He doesn't push off until Walker is coming around the other post which is far far far too late.

He didn't look that slow to me. He looked like he had to be set on the short side, then get up and push all the way to the far side, and looks like he might have had his skate on the post to stop the shot if Walker had taken the extra split second to come out front and shoot it in the net, instead of off his skate.

What you want is for one of the defenseman or a forward in position there to keep Walker from skating all the way around the net and getting a free shot. In this case it was Bourque reacting too late.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In this case it was Bourque reacting too late.

That's almost every case with him. He doesn't read the play at all, one of many reasons why I think his defensive ability is waaaaaaay overrated.

Bourque is nothing more than a smaller, slightly faster, less fight-y Cody McLeod. Except even Cody could score a frickin' goal now and then.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's almost every case with him. He doesn't read the play at all, one of many reasons why I think his defensive ability is waaaaaaay overrated.

Bourque is nothing more than a smaller, slightly faster, less fight-y Cody McLeod. Except even Cody could score a frickin' goal now and then.

He shouldn't be an NHL regular but personally I don't mind him as a 13/14 forward. That's just preference though, and Bednar's not alone. Most coaches prefer that solid know what you get kind of depth guy, over a higher risk, more inexperienced, but higher potential guy for injury replacements.

As far as the 4th line goes though, if they're called up already I'd go with Greer, Dries, or O'Connor before Bourque. Those other three are way more motivated, and play with more spirit which brings more energy, but that also comes with penalty concerns which is what I think Bednar is probably worried about. Especially with Greer. I don't agree though.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He shouldn't be an NHL regular but personally I don't mind him as a 13/14 forward. That's just preference though, and Bednar's not alone. Most coaches prefer that solid know what you get kind of depth guy, over a higher risk, more inexperienced, but higher potential guy for injury replacements.

As far as the 4th line goes though, if they're called up already I'd go with Greer, Dries, or O'Connor before Bourque. Those other three are way more motivated, and play with more spirit which brings more energy, but that also comes with penalty concerns which is what I think Bednar is probably worried about. Especially with Greer. I don't agree though.

I didn't mind him for a while but the problem with guys the coach likes that much as the 13/14 guy is that they don't get treated like the 13/14 guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When he's going full bore, hitting everything in sight and crashing the net with abandon, I can see his value. But you get that guy maybe one game out of 15, if that. The rest of the time I just see someone who's just not good enough for the NHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The major on ice problems with this team are correctable too. Bad passes, bad penalties, struggling PK/PP. Mental errors are leading to all of these.

Lack of secondary scoring is an issue, but those other issues are the bigger problems right now IMO.

I actually think fatigue and playing outside of their roles is a huge factor in all of those mental mistakes. So in a huge way not having that center that has proven himself capable of giving you 15+ minutes of responsible play is rippling through the lineup even more so as the season goes along.

It is not like Bednar's game plan is very helpful either. There is zero answers when the team isn't capable of pushing the petal all the way to the floor.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually think fatigue and playing outside of their roles is a huge factor in all of those mental mistakes. So in a huge way not having that center that has proven himself capable of giving you 15+ minutes of responsible play is rippling through the lineup even more so as the season goes along.

It is not like Bednar's game plan is very helpful either. There is zero answers when the team isn't capable of pushing the petal all the way to the floor.

I've actually wondered about this for a while now, but I don't have any way of knowing for sure. I think Bednar demands that his players skate their absolute tails off to play his system. Not just for three periods in games, but in practice.

I wonder if there's a point of diminishing returns there. Kind of like how Roy/Tourigny's man on man system for most of games led to tiring out their players. An opposing player was actually quoted as pointing this out once about the Avs man on man system. The Avs did great with it the first year, but then came crashing back to earth the next.

I keep wondering if this is why Bednar's AHL teams were low scoring teams, and grinder type players can't find the poise to put the puck in the net. They might just be fatigued. It's possible that only high level athletes like Nate, Mikko, and Landy can sustain that kind of play, while skating that hard every night for multiple seasons.

Fatigue leads to mental errors and mental errors are the biggest problem with this team right now IMO.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've actually wondered about this for a while now, but I don't have any way of knowing for sure. I think Bednar demands that his players skate their absolute tails off to play his system. Not just for three periods in games, but in practice.

I wonder if there's a point of diminishing returns there. Kind of like how Roy/Tourigny's man on man system for most of games led to tiring out their players. An opposing player was actually quoted as pointing this out once about the Avs man on man system. The Avs did great with it the first year, but then came crashing back to earth the next.

I keep wondering if this is why Bednar's AHL teams were low scoring teams, and grinders type players can't find the poise to put the puck in the net. They might just be fatigued. It's possible that only high level athletes like Nate, Mikko, and Landy can sustain that kind of play, while skating that hard every night for multiple seasons.

Fatigue leads to mental errors and mental errors are the biggest problem with this team right now IMO.

Yeah, you also have to think about the way teams are usually constructed in the AHL too. You are not often going to have high end talent. So getting every guy to go full tilt is probably a key component. Also there is quite a bit of turnover, so that message getting stale is probably less of an issue.

I don't know if it carries over from season to season, but definitely in season is probably a factor. Also I can see the more young hungry rookies you have the better. This year yeah these guys are young, but they're more established. The cattle prod is probably a bit less effective even if we do have a fairly high character team.

There has been plenty written about how top players conserve energy as well, and how important it is late in games and situations to have done so.

I think Vegas is the absolute poster child for this too.

Reactions: Waingro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad