GDT: Game #40: Flames vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We don't have any top pairing D on D, the last one we had was OEL. We get exposed in certain games and this is one of them. Is what it is for now, until D improves or we bring in help. Bear has done a nice job hiding this weakness as has the great goal tending we have seen. When goal tending dries up, we get exposed.
If you are being honest, our D gets exposed every game but our goaltending has been there most nights, until lately, and now our D looks even worse. Going forward we could be in the same position next year. Bring up Soda and let him get some NHL time, and when Koly is better same thing. We have to see where we are with these players before the end of the season.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And Kerfoot. Why the hell can't Morgan speak so we can hear him? He has the mike right next to his mouth and then he whispers.
Been explained before.... the mic is directional.

If he used an omnidirectional mic you could hear him better but then all the other noise in the room as well.

Maybe if he points the mic more back towards himself but then you have multple reporters all waving their mics around it gets a little wierd. :laugh:

Might have to let him though over on the discord that people can't hear his questions very well. Maybe he can fix it??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Been explained before.... the mic is directional.

If he used an omnidirectional mic you could hear him better but then all the other noise in the room as well.

Maybe if he points the mic more back towards himself but then you have multple reporters all waving their mics around it gets a little wierd. :laugh:

Might have to let him though over on the discord that people can't hear his questions very well. Maybe he can fix it??
You can hear everyone else.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If you are being honest, our D gets exposed every game but our goaltending has been there most nights, until lately, and now our D looks even worse. Going forward we could be in the same position next year. Bring up Soda and let him get some NHL time, and when Koly is better same thing. We have to see where we are with these players before the end of the season.
It seems like there have been more odd man rushes and breakaways lately where our D is making major mental mistakes that can be fixed. It's up to Bear to coach us through our poor D. We lack talent on D but it can be better, we need less glaring mistakes. Goal tending has bailed us out a good portion of the time.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
1000% that this team has to get the 1st period garbage turned around. Just not viable whatsoever to be down over and over again.

Whole team was dog doo doo (sorry to dogs for the comparison)… but also agree the goalies in this game weren’t great either. Any decent chance was in the net…not NHL lvl tending.

Just nothing good.

Ps Zucker was invisible at best…I won’t say what at worst. (Had to comment that cause he’s about to interview)

What an awful addition Zucker has been. He’s maybe earning half his pay cheque.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Dermott is an offensive defenseman with zero points. He’d clear waivers 100%. He sucks. Haha.

Dumba was good in the playoffs last year. There’s a reason Dallas fans are booing him very time he touches the puck when we play them. If we retained 50% we’d probably get a 3rd rounder. Maybe a 4th.

Zucker might fetch a 3rd with max retention. Maybe a 4th.

Vejmelka might get a 3rd. If we take back a goalie who has a little NHL salary attached.

I don’t really see the point in doing any of those things, honestly. I’d rather just keep the guys happy and playing hard. And spare Tourigny a handful of extra ugly games. Those take a toll, I think.

I think him and Stepan were my two least favorite Coyotes of the entire Chayka/Tocchet era.

I don’t think any of the three players mentioned have any value.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It seems like there have been more odd man rushes and breakaways lately where our D is making major mental mistakes that can be fixed. It's up to Bear to coach us through our poor D. We lack talent on D but it can be better, we need less glaring mistakes. Goal tending has bailed us out a good portion of the time.
We are 40+ games into the season. The D is what it is.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Talent wise yes, but some of the brutal mistakes can be improved. Except for Dumba, his foot speed is gone, he needs 5-6 pairing minutes against grinders that aren't fast on their skates.

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
And Kerfoot. Why the hell can't Morgan speak so we can hear him? He has the mike right next to his mouth and then he whispers.
I suspect Morgan has some humility and realizes it is not about him. Conversely, I never have a challenge hearing Todd Walsh. But, yes, Craig needs to speak up.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Talent wise yes, but some of the brutal mistakes can be improved. Except for Dumba, his foot speed is gone, he needs 5-6 pairing minutes against grinders that aren't fast on their skates.
He is a pylon encased in cement at the bottom of a mud pit while holding two 100lb kettlebells.

• Haha
Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
When the Yotes lose , it feels like Morgan puts on a bit of Todd Walsh , he has to ask the tough question but is afraid of hurting the player’s feelings or something

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I understand, but this isn't the first time we have seen these brutal mistakes, and to make it worst, the playoff bound teams are going to start playing for playoff position and every point is important. With Dumba, his footspeed is the least of my worries, it's what's between the ears. Dumba is second in giveaways for D, behind Durzi, but at least Durzi gives us proper PP minutes and produces.

When the Yotes lose , it feels like Morgan puts on a bit of Todd Walsh , he has to ask the tough question but is afraid of hurting the player’s feelings or something
He asks dumb questions. Even Bear gives him that look.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No. It’s actually worse.

First time I can remember leaving a game 8 minutes into the 3rd period. Our team didn’t want to compete. I mean, across the board. I was thinking that maybe the team got some news at practice the distracted the lot of them.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Alright. Time to be negative.

Keller's turnover to begin the game was brutal. Unfortunately, it set the tone of the game.

McBain needs to keep it more simple on the top line. Too many turnovers when he was taking on defensemen 1v1.

I forgot Carcone was on the team until I checked the box score after the game. 0 goals in 13 games.

As a Durzi fan, I don't think he has been good since returning from injury.

I don't care if Dermott is the new Christian Fischer this year as the locker room cheerleader. He needs to be out of the lineup. Bring Brown and Valimaki (whom I'm no fan of) back in the lineup and scratch Dumba and Dermott.
keller did turn it over, but as he did so , both durzi and moser went toward the net. both. keller was last man back. stupid D play.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I understand, but this isn't the first time we have seen these brutal mistakes, and to make it worst, the playoff bound teams are going to start playing for playoff position and every point is important. With Dumba, his footspeed is the least of my worries, it's what's between the ears. Dumba is second in giveaways for D, behind Durzi, but at least Durzi gives us proper PP minutes and produces.

He asks dumb questions. Even Bear gives him that look.
Some of our D are making bad turnovers when not under pressure or not taking the safer play, that can be improved. I disagree on Dumba, its his foot speed that is killing him. Guys go around him too easily and he is always under pressure retrieving the puck which makes his first pass tougher. Its not that he makes dumb plays, its that he is so far behind, that causes the problems.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Some of our D are making bad turnovers when not under pressure or not taking the safer play, that can be improved. I disagree on Dumba, its his foot speed that is killing him. Guys go around him too easily and he is always under pressure retrieving the puck which makes his first pass tougher. Its not that he makes dumb plays, its that he is so far behind, that causes the problems.
This...Dumba's loss of foot speed is just killing everything for him, decision making, puck retrieval, passing, etc...the only thing it hasn't hurt is his ability to lay a hit...which seems to be the only thing he's good for now.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's not the turnovers. It really isn't. It's the lack of situational awareness and proper positioning which is killing this team. I put that on Bear. Keller's turnover happens. There should have been at least one defensemen between the puck and the Coyotes blue line. Probably two. Both defensemen were caught going forward towards the Calgary goal. The D needs to know that when one of our "dangle-itis" forwards like Macelli, Cooley or Keller has the puck, there's a chance that he will be stripped. Somebody has to hang back.

Neither Durzi nor Dumba are playing responsible hockey out there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It's not the turnovers. It really isn't. It's the lack of situational awareness and proper positioning which is killing this team. I put that on Bear. Keller's turnover happens. There should have been at least one defensemen between the puck and the Coyotes blue line. Probably two. Both defensemen were caught going forward towards the Calgary goal. The D needs to know that when one of our "dangle-itis" forwards like Macelli, Cooley or Keller has the puck, there's a chance that he will be stripped. Somebody has to hang back.

It is true that both were moving towards the goal...and yes, both had to rotate due to Keller carrying the puck up into the zone, so since Moser took the position for a give-n-go, Durzi should have recognized that and fell back into the Defensive position just outside the zone, giving himself room to cover in case a mistake was made.

Problem is that it was poor decision making all around. Keller should have passed the puck up to Moser immediately while on the half wall rather than try to bring it up...Moser chose too late to do the give and go, allowing 2 defenders to collapse on Keller, and then Durzi took to big of a risk to find that open seem on the backside. All in all, very poor decision making from all 3 of the players.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree with most of this, and that it can be corrected by Bear.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
i get after a awful homestand the mood has switched from playoff hopefuls to seeing all the problems (esp on D), but look at 2 short years ago (season keller got hurt) this was top 12F /6D scorers -
keller 63 pts schmaltz 59 kessel 52 boyd 35 crouse 34 hayton 24 galchenyk 21 erickson 19 larson 15 ritchie 14 ladd 12 and fisher 10
ghost 51 stralman 23 chychren 21 moser 15 mayo 12 capo 9
first how the hell did that team win a game? and look at the roster improvement in 1 1/2 years. we have a ton of young young guys who make mistakes but are improving.
looking at that bottom 6 i think current tucson top 6 is miles better.
of that 18 - 6 are still with team (boyd only one over 27yo and a UFA) 9 are out of the league

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad